UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » S4 Foggy

Old 13-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
scotsport

Smile S4 Foggy

Hi I am new to this forum and have the chance to get the use of my brother's S4 Foggy (number 68 he thinks) which he got new in Nov 2001, it has done about 600 miles and has had a new wiring loom and a few other things under warranty but has been sat in a steel box out side for about 6 years, I have had a licence for about 14 years but not ridden for about 8, can anyone tell me if there are certian things I would have to do to get this back on the road and do you think it's too much bike for me to start off on? thanks in advance for any replies (I'm in Gloucestershire) regards Ian
Old 13-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
DO NOT even think about starting the bike until the belts have been changed, all fluids will need replacing and it will need new tyres and a thorough nut & bolt check.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
scotsport

Hi Kato, thanks for that, what about the bike as far as riding, is it an all out racer or can it be ridden quietly? Ian
Old 13-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

The Bike will be fine to ride however you wish to do so, it'll be a complete pussy-cat until you are ready to push it a bit and even then it'll still be very easy to ride, I'll bet after riding it for a couple of weeks you'll be pleading with your brother to sell it to you.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
PaulEllison

S4 Foggy is brilliant, very fast, planted trough the bends, you will need to play around with the suspension to find a setting you can get on with.
Mine has had the sprockets changed so it's much smoother in traffic - faster aceleration too.
Enjoy - but only after a full service though.. !
Paul
Old 16-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
scotsport

S4 Foggy

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit worried it will be too much bike for me having not ridden at all for 8 years but by the sound of it itg will behave low down as well as at speed.

Regards Ian
Old 16-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
You'll be OK, the monster feels very light as the mass is all pretty low down in the frame. The motors are great but your first impression is going to be that its very lumpy, depends what you rode before but it could be up to the OMG Its gonna fall out level! and it will sound mechanically loud, even with the water cooling. They make lots of torque so running at low speeds is easy, on the standard gearing it can be a bit frustrating, going down a tooth on the gearbox helps.

As pointed out elsewhere you're going to have to get the belts changed BEFORE you use it or start it again, the potential for expensive mechanical noises is going to be high if its been standing. Best would be trailer it over to someone like Riders in bristol and get a service and check done. The tyres will be hard and need replacing even if they look OK.

Give me a shout when you're sorted, I can pop over and drag you over this way onto some relatively quiet roads with enough corners to get the hang of it all again.
Old 16-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Yes you will love the bike. It has got lots of power but is a tame as a kitten if you want to ride slow. I had an s4 and sold it to Uksurfer who had a 600 and he gets on fine with it. Just be advised to open up gently on corners until you get used to the power. Like others said within a week or 2 you will want it and be used to it.
Thoroughly go over the bike and get it serviced with belts and fluids and oil change. Tyres will need to be inspected at least. They may have degraded and cracked.

Dont be tempted to lets just see how it goes please.

I think they have ohlins suspension dont they.

Have fun though .
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
jerry
Old Git

OK

change the belts , change oil and filters , flush fuel tank out and new fuel filter.Clean airfilter and get TPS and Fuel injection balanced .Get valves checked and rockers checked for chrome peeling .

Have tyre checked , brakes check chain lubed and checked. put 14 t sprocket on gearbox to make bie run better at low speed.or go up 3 on the back if new chain and sprockets needed.

It will need a new battery as well.I would get an expert to give it a look , may cost but peace of mind.

S4 is a great bike , the suspension needs sorting for your personel preference .

Buy it and then get termis and a PC3 with a good map and it will run even nicer.

Jerry Monsterman S4 ,M750 and SS750 owner and manic mechanic.
Old 16-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Scotty

was the foggy flavor not the mother of all S4 monsters ? as in sps cams 50mm termis and ducati ecu ~:?

still even so you al be fine, the litle extra power comes in around 7 k rpm or something #:?

+1 on the lower finnal drive
Old 16-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Yes I believe they came with carbon hi level termis .
Old 16-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
scotsport

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all the advice, when I get it I'll have it sorted as per the instructions above, i'll let you know when it's all done and ready to ride.

Kind regards

Ian
Old 16-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I do take it thats its not been started in all those years and not regularly run up at all.
Old 16-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
...and we want photos!!!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
PaulEllison

The Spec...
Mechanically – A Complete racing Termignoni exhaust assembly was fitted, along with an open air box conversation and an updated ECU.Increasing the standard 916 cc Desmoquattro cylinder engine from 101 HP at 8750 rpm to 110 HP at 9750 rpm.

Cosmetically – A Custom paint designed by Aldo Drudi, numbered Foggy logos and signature panels, custom seat, and a Ducati Performance steering stabilizer. Carbon Fiber front fender, windshield, radiator guards, belly pan, and side panels. Completed with 2 Paddock Stands and a dedicated ‘Foggy’ bike cover.Each bike comes with an exclusive titanium plate etched using laser technology – specially designed by the Poggipolini Company – and fitted near the fuel cap. Etched on the plate are the Foggy logo, his signature, and the bike’s serial number.
Mine is No. 122 of 300

Paul.