UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi all.....

Old 13-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Gordon H

Hi all.....

New kid on the block - in more than one sense. New to the site and also new to the whole Monster world.

I'm due to buy a bike at the end of this month and was sold on the idea of a new Bonneville but while at the dealers spotted a VERY tidy M900 on an R plate and it was love at first sight....... deposit paid pending a test ride next weekend.

Any wise words of advice prior to taking a first ride on.....

1/ an italian bike
2/ a V twin
3/ bike with a dry clutch.

Incidentally, the mileage is around the £12k mark - the dealer will carry out full service and belt change prior to sale. Already got new tyres, chain / sprockets etc.

Anything else I should be looking for??

Looking forward to getting the bike on the road and hey, maybe meet up with some of you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Old 14-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Hi Gordon, good luck with your purchase, and then your welcome to come out with us Hampshire lot, plenty of plans for the summer!
If you need any help, just ask on here, theres plenty of knowledge floating around

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=35803

cheers
Martin
Old 14-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
wecome to the club, as i am one of the wiltshires, i do spend a lot of time with the hampshires, so would be good to meet up sometime.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome. My 2p worth, but…

1) people are very negative on Italian reliability. It’s generally a myth! A well looked after Duc should have no more issues that your average Jap bike (although I’m no mechanic so don’t take my views as gospel!). However, looking after them properly can be slightly more expensive than other more bland bikes
2) V twin = low down power. You don’t need to change gears every 5 seconds, with lots of torque on tap. Oh, and the noise it great!
3) I find the dry clutch quite stiff at the lever, and can be tiring in town if you’re not used to it. The rattle can sound like it’s about to fall apart at first, but it should be a lot quieter with the lever pulled in

As I said, I’m not expert, so go and ride it and see what you think!

Steve
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
littlejimmy12

If the clutch gets heavy you can always switch out the slave cylinder for about £80 (oberon for example) and that makes it a lot lighter, I ride in london and it makes a massive difference.

http://www.spareshack.com/products/7...e-Cylinder.php
Old 14-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
He11cat

Hi I agree with the above , if you do find the clutch stiff then switch to oberon its made the world of difference to my bike.

I got slated by my jap riding friends they all laughed at me and said I was stupid for buying a Ducati ...
Unreliable , expensive.. blah blah.. hope I had RAC... silly girl.

I did had an electrics problem with it at first but was put right with min fuss and touch wood he's been the best bike Ive owned out of 15! ..
Its my other Jap bike thats been the biggest pain in the bum ever!..don't listen take care of it and it will take care of you, good luck
Old 14-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Gordon H

Smile Thanks all........

Thanks all - I'll be wandering around the countryside between Hampshire / Dorset on Saturday morning - but so long as the bike's sound I think I've already made my mind up!!

Cheers

Gordon
Old 14-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
johnsy

I've a M900 W reg, had it 4 yrs and done 8k miles including 5 track days, done the belts & plugs every 2 yrs, cheap and easy to do, change the oil at Spring every yr and it hasn't missed a beat. Enjoy the torque and sound...
Old 15-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
Any wise words of advice prior to taking a first ride
Relax and enjoy..........................................

Tags
advice