UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » The monster is loose!!!

Old 16-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Ginger

The monster is loose!!!

Man does that feel good!

Just got the bike on the road today and oh my days was that fun.

A few nights ago I had my first ever "mishap" after 3 1/2 years of riding. Cause? Tiredness after doing the late shift at work, wet road, over inflated rear tyre (due to carrying a pillion the day before), a tough too much front and bamm - I was off; sliding down the road watching my little Yamaha YBR125 spining infront of me as my helmet was bashing the floor.
Not too much damage done though. New mirror, foot peg rubber, clocks cover - not even a scratch to the tank! And I walked away from it.

So all was good and I rode the bike to work the next day.

So I picked up the monster today with my confidence slightly down. I was shaking. Not sure whether it was excitment or fear. It was pissing it down with rain. "An evil storm was brewing - How appropriate" I thought. I was just about to ride my first big bike for the first time in it. I haven't ridden anything bigger than a 125 before.

So I sit on it in the comfortable low seat. Arms outstreched. Fire up the engine and hear that V-Twin Growl. "Right not too much throttle and let the clutch out slowly" I say to myself. Being over cautious I nearly stall the bike as I pull away.
Pulling out onto the road I struggle controlling the bike and operating the indicatiors to begin with - Still trying to feel the bite of the clutch and keep the bike upright.
Make my way out of the town with all the stops and starts which was a nightmare on a bike that I am not familiar with. Finally the clear country road back home taking it steady through the curves praying not to have a repeat of my recent experience.
"Hey I'm getting the hang of this" I say to myself as I lean into the next curve. I approach the strectch old the old dual carrigeway that is deserted. I twist gently on the throttle and the monster responds pushing forword. Very soon I'm at 60, 70, 80mph and still in 4th (I think!) I ease off the throttle - Don't want to go too crazy in these conditions.
Soon I'm home and I park her up outside. All my fears have disappeared and I have a big grin on my face. No where near top speed or acceleration but one thing's for sure: I am very satesfied even though dripping wet and cold. If it's made me feel like this in the wet, what will it make me feel like the dry?

Jumping on the YBR125 for the last time to ride it to my Grandfathers house for storage until I sell it, I twist the throttle back slowly and release the clutch slowly but there just wasn't the grunt that I just had. I have travelled thousands of miles on the 125 and its been so good but even after one ride I know what I have been missing - the growl of a monster!!
Old 16-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Great stuff. Just look after it and enjoy it. Hard to go back now just forwards maybe one day soon.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Nicely written Ginger and I think most of us here agree with the addiction and grin factor the monster brings
Old 16-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Personally, riding a monster is the best drug available
Welcome to the mad house!!.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
That is a lovely 'story'! I know what you mean - not having ridden seriously for ages and then getting my little M600, it just felt right....and I still love it!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Scootaboy

great write up, takes me back to last august and my first proper ride

as you probably know the more experience you get, the better it gets etc etc etc!
Old 16-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had more accidents and prangs on the little bikes I've had than I can remember.
The 600 is a great bike. Stable, steady and forgiving.
You will have a lot of fun on it.

Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Nookx

Ginger, you should write for Penthouse, Ive got wood.lol
Old 20-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
benson

oh the thrill of riding your first monster
Old 20-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Ginger

I'm thinking of taking out legal action against Ducati...
This bike is affecting my sex life. I only have so much in me and this thing keeps draining it from me!!
And when I am at work, it keeps staring at me though the window. I can't think strainght. Hot sweats, dirty dreams and when I am not with her I want to be with her. Am I in love?
I hope so!
Old 20-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Nookx

You need a cold shower son!
Old 20-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookx View Post
You need a cold shower son!
No....... much more fun to have a long hard hot ride
Old 20-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Nookx

& then nip out for a spin ont bike.lol
Old 20-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Exactly
Old 20-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Nookx

I like your thinking, If ur ever in Manchester give me a shout, Id ride with you.:-)