UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » s2r or 695?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
jonyb

s2r or 695?

hello. new boy on here looking for which bike to go for? both low miles, termi's fitted. service histories etc. but which one? 47 year old , fast days are gone now. not ridden for 10+ years. love the retro look of the monsters. any opinion's. the bikes not me.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Personally I would choose the S2R which one are you looking at the 800 or 1000? While both S2R and 695 are pretty decent, think the 695 is a much revvier short stroke engine but I think it had the most power for cc of any air cooled engine ducati had built up to that point but was only in production a relatively short time, which probably makes it rarer, but was the entry level monster at that time. The S2R 800 on the other hand will probably deliver a more traditional ducati riding experience being closer to the more traditional ducati torquey big bore twin, the 1000 even more so. I'm sure people who have owned both of these bikes would be able to offer more helpful advice, but I don't think there were many known faults with either of these models unlike some of the earlier bikes. Also worth considering is the S4/R which still to me represents great value, as you get a lot of bike (100+hp 4v, 996cc in a very rider friendly package) for your money and some bargains to be had, although inevitably the 4v engine has slightly higher service costs, but not too bad in the scheme of things as most Ducatis have fairly high service costs compared to other manufacturers (unless you intend to do DIY for most tasks?)

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Simple 695 is more revy and has similar power as early m900.

It has same brakes as m900 did and rest is basically the same. m695 is an early m900 with same power but less cc and torque. You shift gears a lot alone or two up.

s2r 800 (we are talking entry level here right) has worse brakes as it is a true entry level Ducati of the time, more torque and yet again similar power to m695 just bit more so basically as old m900. Looks are more modern and in my view worse.

s2r 1000 has a DS engine so more power then early or late m900, more torque, smoother it has better brakes and suspension.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Lukas Does the 695 have a plastic tank?

Personally I would avoid plastic tanks given the problems with modern fuel, which is unfortunately only going to get worse with the inevitable introduction of E10 fuel. The brakes on the SR800 are seen as a weakness but can be easily upgraded as many owners do.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Yes 695 is plastic. Last metal was 620ie.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 19-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Fatal

S2R 800 for me, then again I'm biased . not the fastest bike out there but buckets full of fun

Alan H
Old 20-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
mart64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
S2R 800 for me, then again I'm biased . not the fastest bike out there but buckets full of fun
Ditto single sided arm, shotgun pipes, hmmm nice (in jazz club voice)
Old 20-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
S2R again, the prettiest monster....evah!

I bought one, on looks, when they were first intoduced. When something catches your attention like that you know it has that extra something that makes them stand out.

(If I'm to recommend one I'd probably suggest the 1000 purely for the better cycle gear but the 800 engine is really good and the aptc clutch is a boon and I just upgraded the parts rather than the whole bike.)
Old 20-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
but they are fairly similar bikes so just down to looks really
s2r all the way for me , single side swinger and shotgun pipes are lovely but not to everyones taste

695 and s2r 800 have same brakes which are ok for the power of the bike but can be improved easily enough

both are perfect road bikes, well mannered enough for easy handling, but with enough boot to make you grin, and with open pipes the soundtrack is sublime
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
S2R, better bike.
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
S2R again, the prettiest monster....evah!

I bought one, on looks, when they were first intoduced. When something catches your attention like that you know it has that extra something that makes them stand out.

(If I'm to recommend one I'd probably suggest the 1000 purely for the better cycle gear but the 800 engine is really good and the aptc clutch is a boon and I just upgraded the parts rather than the whole bike.)
APTC clutch is the worst thing Ducati ever did to Ducati. You cannot set off fast without dragging the clutch or it will stall. That means you cannot set off as fast as on standard clutch. Engine braking feels well smooth and none existent. I can excuse the set off part as not all are aggressive like me but engine braking is needed for that grin factor when is squiggles, skippes and wiggles under heavy braking with just an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatronic View Post
but they are fairly similar bikes so just down to looks really
s2r all the way for me , single side swinger and shotgun pipes are lovely but not to everyones taste

695 and s2r 800 have same brakes which are ok for the power of the bike but can be improved easily enough

both are perfect road bikes, well mannered enough for easy handling, but with enough boot to make you grin, and with open pipes the soundtrack is sublime

Funk 695 has same callipers as 900ie/s2r1000, s2r 800 has smaller callipers.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 20-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Dave G
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
APTC clutch is the worst thing Ducati ever did to Ducati. You cannot set off fast without dragging the clutch or it will stall. That means you cannot set off as fast as on standard clutch. Engine braking feels well smooth and none existent. I can excuse the set off part as not all are aggressive like me but engine braking is needed for that grin factor when is squiggles, skippes and wiggles under heavy braking with just an engine.
Never been an issue for me, I've not noticed any slippage but very much like the lightweight lever pull and stompng down gears without lock the back.
Horses for courses.

Still the prettiest though.
Old 20-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
mart64

+ 1 as above for slipper clutch, saved me and my pants a few times
Old 20-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

I'm thinking that my 750 may get replaced when it hits 90K, I'd be looking for an S2R
Old 20-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
jonyb

thanks for the replies. i think your tipping it towards the s2r.