UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie in search of a M900 :)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Andy B

Bike: M900
Smile Newbie in search of a M900 :)

Hi Guys!

I'm doing things a little differently than I usually do here, and joined up before jumping in at the deep end and just buying one blind...

so..... what sort of things are there to look out for? I've done a bit of reading up - am I right in thinking to go for a 2000 and newer model? i've read they're generally better built after then? I quite like carb's but wouldn't say no to EFI too.... plus I need that dry clutch sound so it'll have to be an M900 right?

Technically it'll be the girlfriend's bike (I was torn between a Duc or a Guzzi, and this way means I get both )

We both used to have bandits (400 & 600), but we sold up to go travelling Oz and S.E Asia, and since we get back to Blighty on Thursday I'd like to start looking...

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
M900 for the dry clutch yes. Peronally I'd go for a later (2000ish) bike with carbs but some on here swear by the m900ie.

Check frame under battery for damage from leaks, probably a charging issue easily fixed but repainting a frame isn't.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Andy B

thanks

so not much that really goes wrong then?

Frame paiting may not really be an issue, as i've got it in my head to get it powder coated (did the same to the bandits)... quite like a bit of a tinker around with them (read: strip em down and rebuild em spanky nice)..

I did spot that lovely s4 in the for sale section and was instantly smitten, but the clip-ons and the radiator kinda put me off? i had an 900ssie to use for a couple of weeks a couple of years ago, and if the riding position is anything similar i don't think i'd like it... and i'm stuck on the idea of oil cooled...

how different do the clip-ons make it? or can they be swapped for normal bars?

PLUS - it looks too damn perfect for tinkering.....
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Did you mean the yellow S4 challenge? If so, those aren't clip ons as such but the original standard bolt on handlebars and are similar in position to the normal monster bars, but not adjustable. Easy to switch over to the standard bars but you will need to fit an 900/1000/S2R/S4R or aftermarket top yoke. The radiator is a matter of taste, I don't mind it and the extra performance of having the 4 valve 916 motor over the slower 2v. I've just fitted clip ons with risers to mine and its much better for it imho and not radical like a sports bike would be either.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post

am I right in thinking to go for a 2000 and newer model? i've read they're generally better built after then?
On bikes over ten years old the riding style and maintenance by previous owners tends to be more important than build quality........