UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » M1000 track bike

Old 20-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #121
pegboy

Awesome, lighter, hi comp, polished, shaved and balanced sound like getting ready for a night on the town??
Old 20-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #122
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Nice one, keep it coming.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #123
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
looks really good mate
cant wait to see that on track, you are going to be able to boot that out of corners sooo hard :-)
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #124
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
What's the due date for the new baby?

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #125
zhango

The new bits do look good - I would enjoy working on that myself.

Just a small point in case anyone misunderstands what you have written - you have missed the word 'pre-load' after '....... ideal 0.3mm'
The sentence starts with the words 'End float....' so it reads as if the 0.3mm is end float - I know you didn't mean it to.

Presumably you would have been able to directly measure end float of crank with min thickness shims fitted but you didn't have any? - I think I would want to do that to double check measurements.
Old 21-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #126
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yes you're quite right, it was getting late. The crank wants 0.3mm pre-load, the gear shafts want between 0.05 and 0.20mm end float. In other words there should be a slight resistance to turning the crank and an almost invisible amount of free play in each gear shaft. The ally cases will expand about twice as fast as the steel shafts.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #127
slob

With suitable shims installed the cases go back together.

Factory Pro shift detent (right) looks very similar to stock but different spring and a ceramic bearing. This is meant to give a slicker gearshift, we'll see.

Gearshift pawl spings are both replaced. Under £10. I've had the return spring break on a bike of similar mileage before, so better safe than sorry while it's apart.

The selector drum/pawl alignment is checked in 3rd gear and a quick run up and down the gearbox confirms everything is lined up right.

The clutch driven gear is temporarily fitted and primary drive lash checked.

A magnet from an old pair of headphones is set in epoxy in a race drain plug from Avanti Race Parts

Last edited by slob; 01-07-2013 at 06:54 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #128
zhango

Now it really is looking good and nice to see the con-rods protected - what a pro!

Now you've got the Avanti sump plug, which is drilled, you need somewhere to lockwire it to so if you haven't found anywhere, this is my effort.

I'm a big fan of JBWeld so converted my sump plug by fixing a piece of 10mm s/s hex. I also JBWelded a pieces of 6mm s/s hex into the blanking plug for the oilway cross-drilling and lockwired together.
(I agree it's not necessary but looks good to me!)

You didn't say what paint you used for the cases the second time?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #129
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Mole grips on a splined shaft! No, tut tut.

Looking good though Slob.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #130
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post

Factory Pro shift detent (right) looks very similar to stock but different spring and a ceramic bearing. This is meant to give a slicker gearshift, we'll see.

Been using those for years as you know Rob......they work very well indeed although pricey for what they are

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #131
slob

Aluminium flyweel weighs just 632g, steel original is over twice as heavy at 1873g.

It's almost starting to look like an engine again.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #132
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
So that's a rather impressive 1.2 kg lighter ...a significant reduction even if it were only for the dead weight, never mind the rotating inertia.
That's an eye opener.

...as was the mole grips on the splines ...though they do at least look to be newish ones with relatively sharp teeth.

Would that be one of the super strong, rare earth magnets ?
And do you intend to use them around your oil filter too ? My current thinking is that that is the most effective place for them.

A really interesting thread this. Thanks, Rob. (I may have said that already).
Does anyone else remember those strip down and rebuild guides for old brit bikes in Motorcycle Mechanics ..the ones that were like a cartoon strip of badly lit photos of greasy bits of engine ...? (I bet Zhango does). This is like the modern version.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #133
zhango

Utopia, I was a regular reader of MM and as a teenager with no money I learned a lot about bikes from that mag - the articles tended to repeat though so how many times did you need to be told how to grind-in valves? Yes, the photos were not good but it was a long time ago!

I agree with you about using Neo magnets on the oil filter - I've got some N52 which I got from SPIDER MAGNETS on ebay.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #134
slob

Utopia: The magnet I used was a flat ceramic disc from a scrap pair of cheap computer headphones.
Zhango: I didn't paint the cases in the end. After discussing with Dave, I decided to try bare metal and an occasional wipe over with ACF50 since it's going to be a fairweather/track bike. Time will tell.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #135
slob

Earlier in the week I stripped the starter motor so I could stick in a new brush kit from the ever efficient Electrex World.

Cleaned up, primed and painted the casing, looks like new and can go back on tomorrow.

The APE studs are torqued into the cases by locking two of the old head nuts together.

Sadly they're 23g each heavier than the stock ones so we're 184g in the wrong direction here, at least that's not rotating or reciprocating mass.

Piston ring gaps are checked and are all good at around 0.35mm

Checked the clearance in the piston while I was at it, unsurprisingly no problems with brand new kit.