UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Old 24-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #61
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I wouldn't be quite so hasty myself!
Do you know how old the timing belts are?
I would at least slip the covers off and check that they are correctly tensioned and still nice and supple with no signs of any cracking or fraying.
Service life of those is reckoned to be 2 years regardless of mileage, although this period has been extended on new Ducatis and is 3 years for Exactfit belts.
The worst treatment for the belts is to stand the bike up for ages then start it!
Good point! Thank you. That should give me something to do tomorrow! It was on the road till last November??? then its been started a few times over the last two weeks. I will see if Nick knows when they were last done
Old 24-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #62
PPuxley

There is an amazing thread playing out on Facebook from an old owner of this bike with some very interesting History to it. It was apparently a limited edition and came with the Silmoto cans and the cut airbox and theres even an explanation as to why it has a different later front wheel.
Facebook does have its uses, sometimes!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8333...6116431874135/
Old 24-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #63
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well I don't do faceplant, but your comment made me look again at your pictures.
I notice that it has adjustable forks, which were a feature of the later "S" models.

I don't think the "S" came along until 1999 but I don't know for sure.
The carburated S Monsters had fully floating cast iron discs, but I can't remember what the disc carrier pattern was. yours look too bright for cast iron, but they do look a bit orange in the photo?.. I wonder?
Old 24-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #64
enbee23

Bike: S4r
The adjustable forks were added by the owner before me, bought NOS from Piricambi in Italy.
So while they are a good thing, they are not original to the bike. The original legs are still with it though.
enbee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #65
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPuxley View Post
Ive got Paul at Reditch shotblasting sending me his various "Gold" Ducati swatches, both Gloss and Matt, so will be able to see how they compare to the bike.
I followed the discussion on Buzzers build thread and its so difficult to tell from photos, but my impression is that they look too Gold...granted Buzzers was a gloss.
If I was going to do another build I would paint the frame rather than powder coat. Much as I like the durability and quality of the coating from Redditch Shotblasting, the colours available are not spot on. (the matt is pretty close...) I did another monster a couple of years ago for a mate where there were acid stains on the frame and I managed to match the colour/matt level/finish exactly. So much so you could not tell where I had touched it in with an air brush. ( I only did a section of the frame) The paint suppler who I use matched the gold close, but gave me some tint and matting agent and with some trial and error, i was able to do an invisible repair.
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #66
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Well I don't do faceplant, but your comment made me look again at your pictures.
I notice that it has adjustable forks, which were a feature of the later "S" models.

I don't think the "S" came along until 1999 but I don't know for sure.
The carburated S Monsters had fully floating cast iron discs, but I can't remember what the disc carrier pattern was. yours look too bright for cast iron, but they do look a bit orange in the photo?.. I wonder?
First M900 S was in '98 it was all black frame/wheels full floating cast iron disks, floating rear caliper, c/f mudguards, lower rear underguard.

The full floating disks do have a different pattern. I don't think its a S it's too early, but if it was a special edition I don't know what special edition it was, not one that I was aware of.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #67
PPuxley

No, those forks are a red Herring and definitely later, but I have the original non adjustable ones.

The thread is absolute fascinating, it turns out to be a limited edition special that came with the Silmoto cans, open airbox and rejetting.
The later front wheel came about after it had had a relatively minor accident and the wheel had been sent off to Hagons to be straightened by the dealer, it was then lost in the post and the dealer had to replace the wheel. The guy even recognises the forks because there was a scuff on them that was turned to the inside when it was rebuilt.

So I suppose this means I really dont have to look for a new airbox or the cans because that is what it came with.
Though, I suppose I do need to find an OEM by date front wheel though.....or do I.

So can anyone else coroborate that Ducati did produce some Limited Edition models like this in 95/95?
Old 25-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #68
Darkness

Take care choosing your front wheel. This says it is a ‘96 wheel, but the date stamp is Jan ‘94.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264984976...0AAOSwPYNf2K9b

The same Front wheel was used on M600, M900 and the SS range at that time, though in a variety of colours.

The back wheels, whilst looking similar came in a couple of different rim widths.

What date is your back wheel as the original front would likely have been within a month or two of it?

Last edited by Darkness; 25-04-2021 at 07:06 AM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #69
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Take care choosing your front wheel. This says it is a ‘96 wheel, but the date stamp is Jan ‘94.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264984976...0AAOSwPYNf2K9b

The same Front wheel was used on M600, M900 and the SS range at that time, though in a variety of colours.

The back wheels, whilst looking similar came in a couple of different rim widths.

What date is your back wheel as the original front would likely have been within a month or two of it?
Thanks. Yes, Ive seen a few possible front wheels. I did see that they were shared with other models for the front, and colour doesnt matter as I will refinish them. So i think I will find one in due course. My back wheel is 07/94, so Jan 94 would work.
Old 25-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #70
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
If I was going to do another build I would paint the frame rather than powder coat.
Tony, that is my inclination, too, but if I need both the wheels and the frame to be the same colour match, that means painting the wheels rather than powder coating them. Do you think paint on the wheels will be durable enough....what did the factory do?
Old 25-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #71
PPuxley

Quote:
I wouldn't be quite so hasty myself!
Do you know how old the timing belts are?
I would at least slip the covers off and check that they are correctly tensioned and still nice and supple with no signs of any cracking or fraying.
Service life of those is reckoned to be 2 years regardless of mileage, although this period has been extended on new Ducatis and is 3 years for Exactfit belts.
The worst treatment for the belts is to stand the bike up for ages then start it!
Gazza, Right Ive found out the belts were done in 2018, the bike has done about 1000miles since they were changed and has run at least monthly since then.
I have had a look at them, to my untutored eye- they feel supple and dont show any sign of fraying.
Ive read the factory manual, but dont have the tensioning tool, I did find videos saying
"you should be able to just slide a 5mm bar under the idler pulley with cylinder set at TDC (comp) but have real difficulty sliding a 6mm bar through". That is exactly what I have.
Belts are DAYCO ISORAN made in Italy 94819 070x180. What do you think?
Old 25-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #72
buzzer

Quote:
Tony, that is my inclination, too, but if I need both the wheels and the frame to be the same colour match, that means painting the wheels rather than powder coating them. Do you think paint on the wheels will be durable enough....what did the factory do?
the wheels are OK painted... get them blasted first, then a single coat of etch primer, a thin coat of 2K primer, de nib with fine scotchbrite and 1000 W/Dry, a coat of base, and a coat of 2k lacquer with some matting agent. Its a bit of trial and error as to how much matting agent though... don't build up too much paint on the edges.
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #73
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Gazza, Right Ive found out the belts were done in 2018, the bike has done about 1000miles since they were changed and has run at least monthly since then.

What do you think?
At 3+ yrs old, fitted on someone else's watch and for peace of mind, I'd change them.

Worth checking the tensioner bearings for any play whilst at it too...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #74
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
At 3+ yrs old, fitted on someone else's watch and for peace of mind, I'd change them.

Worth checking the tensioner bearings for any play whilst at it too...
Youre Right, theres no rush, in fact I can go down to MR tomorrow and get some new belts , they were going to be done in the full rebuild so can easily do them now. Bearings felt OK, but again , they look like standard 6201s so could do them aswell
Old 25-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #75
PPuxley

Whats the recognised way of turn this motor over on the bench?