UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project Single sider has begun

Old 15-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #31
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
That bit I can handle.You would be surprised the fiddly jobs I had to do similar with shims. Its the whacking I find hard to do as I really dont want to break it.
Im getting a drift to fit inside and stepped made up out of ally or brass 2moro.

Alan do you reckon anyone can remove tyre on saturday at brands or shall i take it somewhere.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #32
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Should be ok at Brands Albie there is always a tyreman at TD's, tho dont take it at lunchtime!!
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #33
RODUC

Great to hear someone else is doing a conversion for a single sider. I am waiting with anticipation for the next posts to see how you've done.
All the best..

wish i had it that easy as i put a 916 swingarm onto a 2v 750 , so much work ,love to see yours finished and i know once you've got it apart the bug bites and other ideas pop into your head like new paint powdercoating and upgrading this and that!!!It may never stop all because the "love for a monster"
Regards RODUC
Old 16-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #34
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I got this drift made up whilst at work at 10am and kept looking at it all day thinking will the thing work.

Well this was the result after some swift blows. It came out a treat. Money well spent. Cost me £15 but cost little time and effort.

Hooray. What the hell was GT and AK on about. Within 15 mins greased and shimmed and on my own.

Well its in but only temporarily as I just need to know what wont fit.

My initial problems as I type are. It looks like my shock may not fit as is very tight around Piggy back cylinder. Not a problem swap shock. For definate a s4r exhaust but I knew that anyhow.The rear header is too long a radius and heads the wrong way out. Im thinking I will get s4r footrests on as will look better and again dont know whether exhaust will fit or indeed look good. The point Im at is to consider whether once got all bits to strip all down and repaint as if I put rear footrest from s4r on I will need to weld bracket on to frame under side panels.
Really pleased tonite as I can give parts to AK on saturday so he can put on race bike.

Until tomorrow
Andy

Last edited by Albie; 08-06-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 16-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #35
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODUC View Post
Great to hear someone else is doing a conversion for a single sider. I am waiting with anticipation for the next posts to see how you've done.
All the best..

wish i had it that easy as i put a 916 swingarm onto a 2v 750 , so much work ,love to see yours finished and i know once you've got it apart the bug bites and other ideas pop into your head like new paint powdercoating and upgrading this and that!!!It may never stop all because the "love for a monster"
Regards RODUC
Cheers mate. BTW any pics of yours lately. Im not pushed to get it down as long as its before Arrow mill. Cant turn up on the 748 . I just want it nice and cant go bling bling. Budget wont allow that alas.Just nice cans and I want it maybe to lose some standard parts and replace with alloy. I may try and fabricate a rear hugger out of ally. My clocks need dropping down a 1" too.

So how much works involved stripping and dropping the engine.
Old 16-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #36
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Link to shock

Shock link to possible problem
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...191#post238191
Old 16-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #37
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Albie,

Nice to see the arm went in ok

Let me know if you need brackets welding on frame for footpegs
Old 17-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #38
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Ah well done that man. Ak has foundrear hanger bits. No immediate rush though at moment for a week or so GT. The bikes now being stripped down. Its going to be powdercoated.
Any advice on snags stripping wanted. Have started at the front with clocks and headlamp off. God its tight in there with roadrace lamps. Whilst Im at it I need to reverse the beam as its european and they always moan at MOT time.

What the easiest way to take off tank with fuel in. Three pipes on bottom. I guess easiest way is to syphon out what I can. Cant be more than couple of pints in there as 106 trip miles.

Do I need a special SCOTTY tool for steering head ??
Old 17-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #39
Scotty

petrol drain eh

errm remove the return feed hose, petrol will come pissing out a cunning plan is to have a spare pirce of tube to drina it into a bucket or something

(and there's always more left in there than you think I always spill petrol everywhere if my shed ever catches on fire it will go up like a good un the amount of oil and fuel soaked into it )

oh and there's always some petrol left in the tank, you will spill it somewhere you don't want to (well I always do anyway)

disassembly advice hummm think the only bit I'm not looking forward to on reassembly is the wiring loom its was somehow sandwiched between the frame and the engine

uh the return feed I cant remember which one it is there should be a sticker telling you on the bottom of the tank

the thin one (that splits into two) is the vent / overflow

the feed line goes to the front injector first (I think)

uh ive run out of head nut tool's you could maybe borrow one from someone maybe ~:?
Old 17-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #40
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

are you in a state of disrepair too. Hm no more tools. I maybe able to make one but If some one has one to post .
Old 17-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #41
Bodybag

Yeah, sorry about that, I bought the last one off Scotty a couple of days ago. Blindingly simple bit of kit. Thanks Scotty, it works a treat.

P.S. I have a complete S4 Workshop Manual if you want it Albie. £10 posted. PM me if you're interested.

Phil
Old 18-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #42
RODUC

I highly recommend taking plenty of photos of everything you do step by step and nut by nut . then i wrapped tape around the ends of every bit with another bit of taape on the adjoining bit and ladelled them the same name or number, so to remember where it all goes.
trust me you can never take too many photos and when reassembling just reverse the order of your photos
Old 18-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #43
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by RODUC View Post
I highly recommend taking plenty of photos of everything you do step by step and nut by nut . then i wrapped tape around the ends of every bit with another bit of taape on the adjoining bit and ladelled them the same name or number, so to remember where it all goes.
trust me you can never take too many photos and when reassembling just reverse the order of your photos
Arn't digital cameras wonderful.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

to both of you yes they are and yes thats what im going to do. Never been this far to strip down on a relatively new bike.
Old 18-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
carrot

Just did a complete strip down of my M750 for a frame respray and i didn't take enough photo's fuel system and wiring loom are a nightmare without them!! Sat up with a tester half the night until I got it right-ish....