UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Air Cooled? Water Cooled?

View Poll Results: Air or Water which Monster is best
Air Cooled 100 73.53%
Water Cooled 36 26.47%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
MilesB

Water cooling has it's place, but not (in my opinion) on a Monster. It just spoils the purity of the design.
Of course someone will now point out that that the original Galuzi concept was to use a water cooled engine...

Miles
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #32
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
the original Galuzi concept was to use a water cooled engine...
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #33
yeharrr

I like my coffee with caffeine in, and my bike with umph.
I liked my v.max with the v boost trick up its sleeve and I like my S4 with its 916 engine.
So, water cooled, but only for the va va voom.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #34
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
I couldn't say which version of the monster is best simply because I have only had experience of a water-cooled jobby, namely an S4R. I love the grunt that it has but I must admit, I think the air-cooled engine looks less encumbered and more attractive, especially close up. Clearly, the appearance of an engine is less important on a fully-faired machine than on a naked one.

So I suppose for performance wc (although I would be kidding myself if I thought I got even close to using all of it regularly) but for looks ac!

The above should explain why I haven't voted!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #35
gjfevans

The thing I like most about my water cooled beast is just that. How much of a beast it looks. The water cooled Monsters live up to their name far more than their air cooled cousins. The whole thing looks like its been shoe horned into the frame and that it should not really be there, its appeal is in its uglyness, its so bad its good. The same is true of the Speed Triple that fact that it has all of its guts exposed is strangly attractive (I would not say the same about a woman)
A Monster by name....a Monster by nature
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #36
Shandy

Looking at the pole results so far i think....

......case closed m'lud
Old 07-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #37
Chris & Nean

There’s something pure and raw about a motorbike, everything is in view and what you see is what you get, all the engineering is on display and much more so than when its in “cars” for example, where lots of it is hidden behind body panels, Burt Hopwood said something like this in a book he wrote about the British motorcycle industry, in the book he describes how the industry ultimately crumbled when faced with foreign competition, the book was called (What Ever Happened To The Great British Motorcycle Industry), in it he goes on about being a young engineer and walking along broad street in Birmingham in the 1920’s and looking through the plate glass at cars and motorcycles up for sale in the showrooms, he said he appreciated the engineering he could see in the bikes right from chromed domed nuts and coil spring supported saddle’s to cooling fins in the engines, he could actually see the engineering in the machines, he said this attracted him to join BSA or some such company, Bert ended up being a main player in the world of motorcycle design.

An air cooled engine has a kind of rawness about it I think, if you spit on it or **** on it, it sizzles when its hot, also it has a sort of purity as well, especially if you consider that just beneath the root of those cooling fins of the ally barrels there’s pistons running in very hot oil.

I remember reading that h2o is a quite incredible substance and that it is the best option for use in extreme heat exchange situations like nuclear reactors, its good in domestic heating applications too but I’m glad my bike uses mere air cooling, its got purity and simplicity and rawness.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #38
fatbloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
Looking at the pole results so far i think....

......case closed m'lud
according to the database 75%/ 25% is the ownership in UKMOC
didnt really need the poll then
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #39
Guzzirider

I've always preferred to be in the minority rather than part of the herd!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #40
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Which is the best ?

The answer is right here
Doesn't matter Tel,me old mate,as long as it is a Monster

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #41
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzirider View Post
I've always preferred to be in the minority rather than part of the herd!
...the minority at the front
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #42
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
cant vote as I have one of each type and love them both, The S4 is more powerful and Sexy but of couse more complicated, and the M750 is just classic and loads of satisfying fun.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #43
makemdan

3 airs & 1 water but only one of these is a Monster and its air AND oil cooled.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #44
zxebeast

Thumbs up AIR cooled

monsters were not designed to have a BBQ grill hidin that beautiful horizontal cylinder.

Old 13-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #45
DesmoDom

Right !!!, How many of you who think liquid cooled Monsters are the spawn of the Devil and should be destroyed, would say No ! if they were offered one for free. Come on be honest, how many "only air cooled for me" hypocrites are there in this club.

Baz