UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Headstock bearings .. variations ?

Old 21-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #31
PPuxley

Bike: M900
For future reference.
For 26x52x15 taper roller bearings, seals and grease, search for eBay item 283801260510, or BR49 or SSB-BR49
It may return a spurious model but you can check the Pyramid Parts web page to double check the size
https://pyramid-parts.com/products/s...162cde3b&_ss=r
If you then place a watch on the item you are likely to get a 5% discount offer.
So at the moment available for less than £24 for the set
Old 21-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #32
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Nice heads up with the bearings there Patrick..

I'm not sure about that Brad fellow's tip about the washer?
I haven't checked the part numbers he gives, but if it's the big washer that's already under the bottom bearing, then I doubt that one will fit inside the seal as it's way too big.
In any case it was the drag of the seal against the frame that was my concern. I had bought silicone grease to use here but thought that it will eventually dry out or become less effective and cause drag.
Besides which the top seal is equally if not more tight and adds it's thickness where previously there was none.
So I left them both out, as even if I dared to squeeze the bottom one in, it looked very unlikely that I could get the top one in. It would be wrong to seal the bottom only, as it would trap water coming in from the top as Utopia correctly observed earlier in this thread.

I'll be interested to see what you make of the seals and their fit when you come to it Patrick?
Old 21-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #33
PPuxley

The main thing with Brads video is that he was dealing with the larger bore bearings on later models, so I thought whatever he said about spacers wouldn't necessarily apply to our models.
I will see whats possible when I get them and post something
Old 22-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #34
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'll be interested to see what you make of the seals and their fit when you come to it Patrick?
Well, the first thing is that the seals are about 32mm ID so wont centre on the 26mm stem
Bearing fit however will be a driving fit for the bottom, so not loose.. For the top, the bearing is a sliding fit.
Old 22-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #35
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It doesn't look good does it?
I don't think I ever put mine on the stem, so hadn't realised that they are never going to centre properly.
I pushed the inner bearing into the frame race and then pushed the seal against it, I found that there would be a lot of pressure on the frame and even possibly distortion of the seal. If the seal can work it's way off centre by moving on the stem, that would be a disaster.
There just didn't seem like enough room for the top seal at all and it was almost certainly going to bind.
I binned them both on the basis that the previous bearings had given about 40,000 miles of service in all weathers without seals.