UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 750SSie conversion.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #16
Doggy

Bike: M796
Interesting project, keep the updates and pics coming .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks Doggy.
I stared at it for some time this evening and found little inspiration, but the answer seems to be in restyling the front end of the tank to suit the rake of this frame and foreshortening it a little. How to do this and retain at least the character of the tank remains a mystery, as does how to reduce the width at the front. All part of the challenge.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:15 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

This week I are been mostly glancing at the tank moulding and not daring to cut it anymore.

Today, as a distraction from the frustrating tank issue, I fitted a centre stand.
Not something you see on an SS every day!

First obstacle is to remove the threaded insert for the breather guide on the RH rear of the engine behind the two M10 threaded holes that mount the footrest hangers on a Monster. (The brake master and lever is mounted there on the SS.)
On a monster this insert is a Rawlbolt type affair and knocks out easily from the LH side, but this one was a solid brass and steel job which would not drift out, so I drilled it.

It was surprisingly easy to fit once I'd got the idea of loosening the exhaust a bit to let the brackets past. Once in place the exhaust went back to its proper place, everything cleared and worked a treat.

As you can see, the Monster side stand is needed to free up the rear M10 hole for the centre stand bracket. The SS stand used both M10 holes.
The rear brake lever assy would go back over the rh side bracket with a spacer and modified screw if you were inclined to fit a centre stand to a stock SS.
On a Monster I think it would be a matter of tailoring some spacers to fit the hangers back. I can't fit the centre stand to my Monster as I have the floating brake rod in the way.

Clearnce between the stand cross brace and the tyre is about 3mm with wheel adjustment about 3/4 to the rear, so I will need to replace the brace with a nice bowed one to give a good working clearance from the tyre.

The bike now stands upright and takes up much less room, and no paddock stand to trip over.
Not sure when centre stands became so un-hip, but then I did forget to weigh it!

I had a nice surprise yesterday morning, when my filler cap and neck arrived having been on back order since July. A little bit more incentive to think about how to fit the tank.

Fitting this type of cap for looks alone does mean that I'm going to have to form a hatch in the bottom or back of the tank to get the pump and filter in. Nothing like a challenge!
Old 23-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Well MrG we're all waiting for an update on what's your next move with the tank is going to be? My take on is that bearing in mind the headstock area clearance issues and the knee cutaways being too far back, I'm thinking that unfortunately the borrowed tank isn't going to be that useful. However you plainly have the skills to make this project happen, and I know that the Petrol Tank is central to your 750 project vision. Therefore why not take on the challenge of making your own mold, (well yes there are plenty of good reasons why not) I would try the cross-section rib type method, infilling with polystyrene, covered with isopon. Good luck with this on Bitza.
Old 23-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I snatched a few minutes in the skunk works this afternoon and hacked the moulding up a bit more. It really took me back to my boatbuilding apprenticeship when there was a lot of fibreglass trimming to do and my mother used to buy me nylon work shirts.. Not a great mix!

I do now have a better visualization of things and I think there is hope.
The tank is about 75mm wider than original at the front end and I think that's too much, although it doesn't offend my eye too much.
It needs to be about 2" shorter and I need to somehow flatten the curve at the front to let it inwards as much as possible. I think the "points" at the very front of the tank are going to have to come outside of the fork leg's arc and end level with the steering stem.
That might end up looking a bit like a Manta ray's little "spoilers" near its mouth?
Of course, the original is that shape to allow the fork legs to swing outside of the tank and its sort of dented there to allow that.

Something will come to me eventually, I hope.

Old 23-10-2022, 05:36 PM   #21
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
interesting stuff gary
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #22
Bitza
Bronze Member

So the second pic down looks interesting, could you not follow the line of the lower frame tube that's rising up to the head stock? where the tank currently appears to protrude. Also the back end looks to be too wide so maybe cutting out a "V" into the back towards the filler cap might help you pull it in a bit, actually looking closer it seems like you've already cut right along the length of the tank already. so you could simply(?!"&*^) trim off a bit on either side of the central strip. I tell you doing these jobs is a lot easier via a thread than doing it for real, once you get your head around the problem it'll be so much easier to tackle the doing it bit.
Old 24-10-2022, 06:20 AM   #23
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Not exactly sure the look you are trying to achieve but this may (or may not) provide some reference points.
https://www.bikebound.com/2022/10/23/ducati-750ss/
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #24
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

Not sure that'll hold any petrol...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #25
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza
...Fitting this type of cap for looks alone does mean that I'm going to have to form a hatch in the bottom or back of the tank to get the pump and filter in...
I'd suggest you look at an S*R (plastic) or 696/796/1100 tank and weld in a ring to suit the pump/filter plate for one of those.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
So the second pic down looks interesting, could you not follow the line of the lower frame tube that's rising up to the head stock? where the tank currently appears to protrude. Also the back end looks to be too wide so maybe cutting out a "V" into the back towards the filler cap might help you pull it in a bit, actually looking closer it seems like you've already cut right along the length of the tank already. so you could simply(?!"&*^) trim off a bit on either side of the central strip. I tell you doing these jobs is a lot easier via a thread than doing it for real, once you get your head around the problem it'll be so much easier to tackle the doing it bit.
The angle of the photo doesn't really show what's going properly, plus the "skirt" is still left on the moulding. The bottom edge of the tank is about right as is, apart from the fairing brackets getting in the way, which will eventually be removed if I get that far.
The rear is the right width to mate up to a suitable (self-fabricated) seat and is hard up to the frame rails at present, it might even get a tad wider yet.
The centre section is sacred as it is the flute and cap housing, so will remain, even if I start fresh with a foam plug. Appreciate your thoughts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Not exactly sure the look you are trying to achieve but this may (or may not) provide some reference points.
https://www.bikebound.com/2022/10/23/ducati-750ss/
Not. That's the polar opposite of what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I'd suggest you look at an S*R (plastic) or 696/796/1100 tank and weld in a ring to suit the pump/filter plate for one of those.
It's a thought, and thanks for the suggestion. The thing is that I already have a pump, filter and fuel level sender. Part of the reasoning for getting a complete running bike was that everything comes with it. (Although I have already got some other forks and yokes!)
The actual plate could well form a mould for a forged carbon (a la Bitza) hatch, and I would definitely try and use a standard Viton ring. A lot of this depends on what shape the tank bottom ends up. The airbox needs to be completely re-designed before I can form the bottom. Welding is out of the question as the tank will be composite.
Old 30-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #27
Nasher

Hey Mr G.

Can I tempt you

50mm top yoke which is the correct offset for my 1000SSie DS.

Old 30-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #28
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Hey, bless you Nasher for thinking of me.

I've got the yokes sorted as I bought a pair of late M900ie ones that fit the "Darkness" mystery forks that you sorted for me perfectly. They have provision for fitting the dash that I have planned also and are not dissimilar to the yokes on the bike I am trying to emulate.

However. I'll let you into a little secret. A bike that I've lusted after for a couple of years has come within reach and this means booting out the SS and the Commando for a bike that I will use. (Fear not the Monster aint going anywhere.)
Over the next couple of weeks, I will find out if the deal is going ahead and if the Commando can be taken away when the new one comes in.
If it comes off the SS will be nicely built back to an SS with a few little mods and sold on probably at a loss, but even so will help recoup some of the many thousands that the new one will relieve me of!

I've got a bit of painting to do to the engine covers and wheels. Then a good overall service. I might be tempted to get the Darkness forks fettled and fit those as well, since the standard ones are pretty awful.

So watch this space for the new (possible) arrival. I doubt anyone will be all that surprised when I reveal it.
Old 30-11-2022, 09:59 PM   #29
Bitza
Bronze Member

So B....r the suspense what are you hoping to aquire?!"*
Old 30-11-2022, 10:02 PM   #30
Bitza
Bronze Member

A 998R?! or maybe an Arter Matchless G50 or a.........