UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » What Colour Black?

Old 29-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #16
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
As mentioned earlier, I believe the correct black for 1995 would be #7510, but that, I think, is a plain colour rather than metallic. Are you sure it was originally metallic?

https://www.colorrite.com/product/ducati-black-2083.cfm
Sorry, I was on my phone (small screen) in paintshop. Yes, I d forgotten youd already said that.
And now reading Falloons Bible I see there that #7510 is referenced for 94, continuing into 95 and beyond , see page 14, 1/2 way down on RHS.
So thanks , we now have the correct colour. You reckon that was a plain black- I will try and get a sample to see.
No, I dont know it was originally metallic. It came to me metallic, but had definitely been resprayed. However I believe the respray was done very early in its life, maybe less than two years old.
Old 29-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
PPuxley

Just spoken to my paint supplier, and his database references a Negro-291500 as Ducati Monster Paint code from 1994....and that is metallic. Im going in tomorrow to look at the paint chip. Richard's description sounds very like what came to me- very fine flake metallic Black with a hint of violet......they sound like wine connoisseurs
I also found this with a quick Google search for that code
So maybe the Colorite 7510 was indeed a metallic black . The colour on the bike that came to me was a very subtle metallic, so easily mistaken for plain at a distance, Iwould think.
I have also contacted Colorite UK, who intially said bring a painted part in, when I said I hadnt got a part and was trying to identify the paint required he agreed to look at the archive and try and identify it , but it didnt sound like I was getting an answer anytime soon!
Old 29-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Although your painter says 291.500 was used on the early models, I'm still not convinced that they were metallic.

Here's another source, which seems to confirm that the correct code for your model would be #7510.

http://www.evoria.net/Ducati/QuackFAQ.html#q28

It doesn't say whether it's plain or metallic but, since Colorite produce a touch-up version of #7510, it should be easy for them to confirm what finish it has, so let's hope they get back to you.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #19
PPuxley

Well, he has a Ducati code referenced as 291.500 as being used from 1994 on his database and it is definitely metallic , he was looking at the chip, so Ducati used a Black Metallic on something. Whether 291.500 and #7510 are the same paint is yet to be confirmed.
I need to find somewhere in UK I can get a #7510 touch up, then we'll know for sure.
I think what we can say definitely in the light of multiple different references is that #7510 is the correct code for a 94 or 95 M900- just need the metallic or plain question answered for sure.
Old 29-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #20
Davy

My black 94 900 which is original paint isn’t metallic.
Old 29-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #21
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
Any chance of some photo’s @Davy?
Old 29-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #22
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
Sounds like we have an answer. Thanks
Old 29-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #23
PPuxley

I think my paint suppliers database may be incorrect with the date for 291.500 being from 1994. I have seen other references for the code in use on the S4, which is later isnt it. Anyway Davys advice will be confirmed , presumably when I can lay my hands on some 7510 touch up.
I have now looked at so many google pages and leads Im starting to forget where I have heard/seen what!
Old 29-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #24
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Well, this probably won't help you at all, but you might find it interesting nonetheless. A bit more research reveals yet another paint code - PPG *0009.

In 2001, as well as the 'standard' metallic black, (291.500 as on your NOS mudguard), Ducati also produced a specific 'Monster Metallic' version with a rather 1970s inspired glitterflake black, (*0009 amongst other colours).

The 'standard' 291.500 metallic black is called Nero Metallizzato, which is just Italian for 'metallic black', while the special *0009 glitterflake version was called Nero Metallic. The particles in the glitterflake mix were more numerous and much larger than the regular metallic paint and I wonder if that's what's been used on your bike. That picture of your tank on the first page of this thread certainly looks quite sparkly!

I can't find a decent photo of a black Monster Metallic but here's a good one of the Grigio Metallic, which gives you a good idea of the size of the metallic particles.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #25
Darkness

For metallic black resprays, check out BMW 475 Black Saphire paint options.

Last edited by Darkness; 29-06-2021 at 10:03 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 10:01 PM   #26
Darkness

Quote:

I can't find a decent photo of a black Monster Metallic but here's a good one of the Grigio Metallic, which gives you a good idea of the size of the metallic particles.

Mmm. Nice!
Old 29-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #27
PPuxley

I had a thought....and went and found the original mudguard off the bike, which I will be replacing with the NOS one I got recently.
Firstly it has a 94 manufacture stamp is red plastic then painted, so I think we can safely say its the originally fitted item.

I then took a scalpel and peeled off the paint and there it was...plain black paint sprayed straight onto the red. (Interestingly, without any primer)

So all your recollections look to be correct Luddite and confirmed by Davy.
So this particular mudguard has had a colourful (sorry) life.
  1. Manufactured from Red plastic in the factory
  2. Sprayed 7510 plain black as a factory option
  3. At some point sprayed Gold, I have no explanation for that!
  4. Then , finally what I received, a sparkly metallic black, (still leaving the mudguard arms Gold)

So now I know and at the risk of totally alienating everyone , I may still go for a metallic Black....because I quite like it!!

Thanks for all your input.....every day's a school day.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #28
PPuxley

Well, Ive got an update having just got back from Paintshop Products in Aldermarston. And Im 99% sure I have cracked the plain/metallic conundrum. What I still dont know is what 7510 looks like having not seen it yet, nor heard back from Colorite.
I took my paint sample from the original mudguard and it matched to 291.500, also known as DUC 03683 Ducati Negro Met , Lechler 106F. He had full details on his database, introduced by Ducati in 1986 as 03683, changed its coding (but same paint) to 291.500 in 1994.
And here is where the confusion arises......to you or I, its a plain Black but it is in fact a metallic, which I could only see when he shone his very powerful test light on it and even then its difficult to see., and I could see the same very very subtle flake in my sample from the mudguard.
I definitely wouldnt have seen it if he hadnt pointed it out. Interestingly even the DUC9 OPACO is a Metallic paint, but you wouldnt know it for looking.
I would be interested to hear from Davy, I think if he shines a very powerful light at the right angle he should also just be able to see that it does have a very fine flake in it. You wont see it in any photo, I dont think.

Last edited by PPuxley; 01-07-2021 at 07:31 AM..
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
Dukedesmo

Quote:

Mine is a Black 'Metallica', at least the tank is and it has a lot of multi-coloured flakes that show differently in different light - more sunlight = more colours.

However I believe the Metallica were only i.e models and so later production?

Looks great but I imagine it would be a pig to match up...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #30
PPuxley

That is real bling! Mine as it was orininally sprayed was ostensibly a plain black, although as discussed above it is in fact classed as MET.