UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Hoop Suspension rose joints

Old 30-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
PaulR

This kind of thing?
http://mob994.photobucket.com/albums...ncut/hoop2.jpg

Bit of M10 stud and a thread extender thing - dead easy and cheap!
Old 30-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Euuuw, nooo

Even though the joints are lubricated they still pass bending forces into the threaded portion and its quite common for the threaded parts of the standard joints to snap if they are not kept well greased.

A bit of M10 stud and a thread extender? It may be cheap but I wouldn't have it on mine.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
This kind of thing?
http://mob994.photobucket.com/albums...ncut/hoop2.jpg

Bit of M10 stud and a thread extender thing - dead easy and cheap!
Brilliant, I'll take 2 please
Old 30-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crust View Post
Euuuw, nooo

Even though the joints are lubricated they still pass bending forces into the threaded portion and its quite common for the threaded parts of the standard joints to snap if they are not kept well greased.

A bit of M10 stud and a thread extender? It may be cheap but I wouldn't have it on mine.
If they're going to snap anyway.........
Old 30-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have some proper ride hieght extenders on my bike which I will be removing very soon (maybe this week)...If any one is interested.?

Trouble with them is that it makes the bike lean over a long way on the side stand..!
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I have some proper ride hieght extenders on my bike which I will be removing very soon (maybe this week)...If any one is interested.?

Trouble with them is that it makes the bike lean over a long way on the side stand..!
1st dibs please
Old 30-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'll give you a shout when they are off Dirty..
Old 30-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
Dirty

Nice one, thanks
Old 31-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_matese View Post
I got these ones - fitted perfectly mcgill motorsports on ebay
used McGill for rose joints for another project

well impressed with quality
Old 31-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
DrD

Quote:

You can shim the side stand mount to offset the effect.
I have the Luigi Motorsport ones on for over year now.
Old 31-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Wasta

Bike: M900

Did mine last time I was home, used McGills as well with Luigi Moto spacers. I turned the pegs and put the bike on Jacks, worked well.
Old 31-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Wildfire

Them's the ones!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

My extenders are just like the ones that Wasta posted.

I managed to hoik them out with the bike on the front paddock stand and a trolly jack under the exhuast with a wooden pad. I figured the exhaust was strong enough for the job, as it is twin wall stainless steel and firmly bolted in two places. effectivly forming a loop.

Obviously the hugger has to come off but I found yet another reason not to fit a 180 rear tyre, as the bolts need to be pressed very firmly into the tyre to get them to clear the rose joint. I imagine this must be much easier with a 170..?? Should give another 5mm in theory.

I suppose I shouldn't have been so lazy and taken out the back wheel, but it would have taken twice as long.
Getting the bolts back into the rose joints was interesting, but the trolley jack made it possible by controlling the position of the bike over the holes.

Not really sure if doing this has altered the pre-load setting on the rear shock, but then I didn't ride the bike before so I am starting from scratch any way.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
Wildfire

I found fitting them made the bike very stiff and I effectively lost all my sag.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Not really sure if doing this has altered the pre-load setting on the rear shock, but then I didn't ride the bike before so I am starting from scratch any way.
It will not have altered the preload settings.
Only adjustment of the preload ring will do that.
It will raise the height of the rear though.
This will then steepen the steering angle, so if you want to retain the original steering characteristics you should raise the front by dropping the forks in the yokes by a similar amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
I found fitting them made the bike very stiff and I effectively lost all my sag.
This is surprising at first sight. ...at least the extra stiffness is.

My understanding of the rear suspension design is that you have a linear rate spring (ie the force required to deflect the spring by a given amount is constant throughout the range of movement) but this is connected via a rising rate linkage which causes the spring to be deflected less during the initial movement of the suspension, but more as the suspension moves towards full bump.
Hence the rear suspension as a whole is progressive rather than linear.
The exact nature of this progressiveness is difficult to determine without doing endless drawings or calculations to produce a plot of rear wheel deflection against spring deflection ....a task which has been on my "interesting things to do" list for some time with no sign of coming to fruition. .....geometry software anyone ?

I can only think that, by lengthening one of the linkages (the hoop) you have altered the geometry of the system such that the spring is now under a different regime of progression, leading to the increased stiffness that you appear to have observed.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. ....I can't guarantee that my logic is flawless, but I do believe it to be correct.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote