UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » had a big smile , now gone

Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #16
geeman

Make sure you test the battery whilst pressing the start button. I had same problem, I tested the battery which showed 12V, replaced the relay and still no joy. Went back to battery and when tested under load the Voltage dropped to around 3V.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Maybe ??

One other thing with the older Ducati;s is the wires around the headstock can corrode. On the outside, the look fine but inside they disintegrate. It was a long time ago now but I recall it was the brown wire. Strip the holding tape around the wires (not off the actual wires) and 'wiggle' the wires there. My bike would be fine with the bars pointing one way but as soon as there was any tension on the other (with the bars ponting the other), the bike would cut out completely.

Some of the more experienced techies here will explain why and what exactly I am taking about. More importantly, they will be able to advise if this is relevant to your bike.

Hope this helps

Simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
luvmaduke

Talking joy to the world

well my friends probably by the smilies you may tell that i'm happy. Martha is back , grumbling and growling , making my heart flutter , this is love people. the long and short of it is , that yesterday after work i bought a haynes manual and found that the switch i was looking at was the sidestand relay and not the the starter motor relay. so once the correct relay was found i decided to hit it (tap it) with a screwdriver and hey presto she started on the first tip of the go button , and has so far continued to start no hassle which is just as well really because the relay ducati have sent me today is the ignition relay (yellow in colour) , i did ask for the starter motor relay i promise.... will order this again and change it anyway. Once again many thanks for all your time and trouble in helping me , i have been singing your praises to everyone who will listen to me , and believe monster owners not only to be helpful and patient , but also to be damn pretty , rock on Kieran