UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Racing » Classic Racing

Old 03-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Right-O Peeps it's looking like being a scorcher over the weekend which means I can use the excuse that old bikes run rubbish in hot weather and that's why I was so slow.

We're all loaded and itching to get going:

Anyway, those that are coming along it'll be great to meet some new faces and catch up with a few from the past too.

As usual it's an open paddock (including the pit garages) the so you can walk around and get up close to the bikes and have a chat but for those of us without motorhomes or caravans, thus spending the weekend under canvass the Flip family will be camped up in the grassy area opposite the main merchandise shops along the road from the main entrance towards the lower paddock so please do try and pop by if you feel like it.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Flip

Well folks I didn't need my book of excuses after all as Bella (my 1965 250 Mach1 for those reading this for the first time) had plans of her own to ruin my weekend!!

I'm not exactly sure when she is fifty this year but I guess I must have missed her Birthday as she threw a hissy fit just after leaving the holding area in Saturday morning practise and decided she didn't want to play and cut out on the main straight.

After recovery back to our paddock and a few checks followed by a push to start in the hope of it being something silly saw her fire up but immediately started making some horrible noises so it was hit the kill switch and no racing for us.

I could have started delving into the motor there and then but the given the noises I heard and the possibilities of why, the thought of bringing the bike home in more pieces than I took it there in didn't fill me with enthusiasm to do so, so for the moment she is sat in the naughty corner of my garage waiting to be looked at later this week.

I have drawn a little solace from it all though in as much as, I have had pretty much three seasons racing without any major problems, a faulty battery at Donington last year caused me to miss a race followed by torrential rain cancelling the remainder of the weekend being the other and here at least I wasn't at the end of the start/finish straight about to drop it into fourth and 'fall off the end of the world' into Paddock Hill bend or else I think I would be looking at a very broken bike and quite likely a broken me too let alone what kind of holes might have been punched through the crankcase if it is (as I am leaning towards it being) either a broken crank pin or a main bearing failure causing the noise but allowing it to still run (of sorts).

On the plus side it was good to catch up with my buddies from the CRMC and also with those of you from here that managed to find me- BIG apologies to those that looked and didn't but I do hope you had a great days entertainment watching some old bikes go round in circles.

With only five weeks to go until the Donington festival it is looking unlikely that I will be racing there now unless I can find something to ride in the meantime- my mate has a Greeves Silverstone he doesn't race at the moment as he's got himself a 'nice reliable Ducati' but we'll have to see as I think I may be looking at a fair few squiddlies to fix my motor and entry fees are getting on for the price of a new con rod.

All revved up and only Clearways to go......
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Wildfire

Totally should have seen this post earlier! I was watching the classics this weekend at Brands! I was down with the MVOCUK in garage 12.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Bonzo

Flip,

Sorry to hear that the Mach 1 let you down, but man that is one beautiful machine
Old 15-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #5
Spanner

What's the diagnosis on the bike Flip?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
What's the diagnosis on the bike Flip?
I'm not sure yet and so 'Bella' is still in the Naughty Corner with the other non running Ducati I have but my gut feeling is that the main bearing gave up, which would explain it still running (of sorts) but making the noises it did.

Due to the nice weather I've been whacking some miles on the Monster plus the fact there was no way I was going to get it sorted in time for Donington so I haven't started looking into it yet.

On the subject of Donington, it looks to be a great meeting this year too which is doubly gaoling I won't be racing there.

Special guests confirmed are Rocket Ron Haslam (pretty sure Leon will pop along too), Nial Mackenzie along with the now regular face around the paddock Steve Parrish and racing regular Mick Grant. Top guest of honour this year who will be out on track on Saturday and Sunday is Fast Freddie himself (Spencer- for those who don't know).

As usual there will be plenty of interesting bikes both on display or out on track being raced or paraded and as it is an open paddock you can get up close to the machines and have a chat with their riders.

http://www.crmc.co.uk/calendar/next-event/