UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Post Weekender 2009 - Feedback Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
As an example, nearby was
Springspeed National Drag Races weekend.
Heritage Land Rover Weekend

&

Cats Protection Rehoming Day on the Saturday.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
SazzaG

All very good points JP.

Re the rooms - I've never had a problem. It's not the Ritz, but at that price, I think it's all fine (especially as the food was so good this year).

Re the Saturday activities, etc., what we need for next year is a bit more of an organised committee who can start looking around for options quite early on, rather than it being left to one or two individuals (which it has been the last couple of years). Just a little bit of forward planning by us all will make all the difference.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Spike

I thought the Sunday ride out was quite good as Denis had it dropped on his lap on Saturday night so not much time to organise, the problem of keeping the group together would be sorted if you looked out for the rider behind you and slowed down if they were dropping back.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
JMo

I agree with much that has been said...

• After last year, where some people felt the food wasn't particularly good value, it was mentioned to the hotel and they certainly listened. Likewise, I'm sure any other shortcomings can be discussed/addressed, and their ongoing programme of refurbishment may well do that anyway.

I agree that (some of) the rooms may not be 100%, but as JP says, it's about being there, and the benefits still outweigh the downsides - I have occasionally wondered if we might look for an alternative venue, but the Mill is hard to beat on so many levels, not least it's location in the UK (for the widest spread of visitors), the staff and owners being exceptionally bike friendly (not sure how Denis will take the Ducati logo burnout in the freshly tarmaced carpark mind you x), so it seems the Mill is still number one regarding venue.

• I also agree with much that was said about the Sunday National Rideout - this year it was very last minute (not even reccyed first, hence the ad-hoc route changes as Denis went along) and while Denis has a fantastic knowledge of the local area, I agree his briefing was all too brief, and the speed/route wasn't perhaps appropriate for the numbers we had this year. However, I do think that was down to the 'organisation' (as it was) presuming Denis would be there, and have come up with a route for us - I think we just need better communication with him regarding that in future?

Fundamentally, the point of the National Rideout is to ride in one big group, not have little sub groups. Therefore, I think more attention needs to be paid to the route next year - and not just presume Denis will do it... certainly I feel in recent years the format has slipped, and if I might be so bold as to suggest that maybe it's not necessary to have Denis as ride leader? - however, it does mean that someone will have to reccy the route before the rideout, and generally Denis has been happy to do that, hence why he has been the leader in recent years.

Certainly we used to have a short 20min/half hour run to a pub, and that was it - not a marathon 70 miler as it was this year! - I would suggest a tighter National Ride-out route of say 30-40 miles, dedicated marshalls ever 10 bikes or so (who know the pre-determined and reccyed route) and as Ped suggests, can stop and mark major junctions if required. Fundamentally though, making sure you can always see the bike behind seems to work... the mantra always used to be - follow the road ahead until the deviation is marked (by another rider).

Saz did a fantastic job on Saturday run (and did so last year too), so a dedicated club member to take on that role for the National Rideout would be my suggestion.

cont...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
JMo

cont...

• I also agree the Bike Show categories need to be reviewed, but I wouldn't be too precious - it is after all (as someone else said) a public vote, and really just a bit of fun... as for clarification, I would have thought the catagories are pretty obvious? - mechanical mods would be the suspension, frame, exhaust etc. while cosmetic mods are bodywork, lights, bling etc. Paint is paint, and is still worthy of it's own specific catagory I'd suggest. Of course there will be cross-overs to a degree, and personal choices are always going to be subjective - personally I believe a degree of 'freedom' within the catagories is what helps to spread the votes (and love) around...?

Certainly with the limited budget for prizes/trophies, I wouldn't want to see one particular bike run away with all the prizes (hence my suggestion that a particular machine ought to only ever win in one category, and it should be down to the judges not just to count votes but to use their durisdiction in those instances it might be required?). That said, there has been a good (and obvious) suggestion as to how 'Bike of the Year' ought to be chosen next year, and I think that, together with revamped and clarified categories should suffice. I also agree that the runners up in each category should be announced (they have been in past years) along with some examples of the various comments - but remember that is a lot of work for whoever is doing the vote counting and presentation itself.

• As for the itinerary, I agree it seemed to work very well this year, particularly the new Sunday format - so I trust that will continue. I don't think anyone particularly missed have a 'main activity' on the Saturday afternoon? - and as others have said, with a little bit of research beforehand, a few options can be offered and run individually on the Saturday afternoon, as long as their are volunteers to lead the individual rides. I still like mini-motos mind you x

• I agree with Joo that the Sunday 'sandwich' menu at the Mill worked well, and was suitably affordable too. Ped highlighted a fair point about pre-ordering sunday lunch for day visitors - I think this was overlooked this year, but certainly it is feasible for someone to take their orders at the Mill prior to the National Rideout leaving - again, something that I'm sure can easily be addressed in future.

Although I'm the last person to champion anything designed by committee, I do think that the weekender needs an overall coordinator to draw up a list of everything that needs addressing, and allocate tasks to those suitable volunteers, to both spread the load, and ensure everything gets done...

Looking forward to next year already!

J xxx

Last edited by JMo; 06-05-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
Lucati

When my kid started school he was given a buddy in the year above that looked after him, introduced him to people etc... how about a buddy system at the weekender? Weekender regulars could take newbies under their wing and introduce them - maybe a fraternity style initiation ceremony!?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #22
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
And likely to land us in the poo with the plod if not careful / unlucky as the only person legally able to hold up traffic is a copper. This has also lead to some very near misses in the past when cars have not seen or ignored the request to stop.

A marker at significant junctions is the best idea
Which is a great suggestion provided you can get enough volunteers to actually wear hi-vis in the first place. I tried offering bibs around on Sunday only to be met with.. " I'm not wearing that you can shove it up your arse", or " I'm not wearing that I'll look gay" type of remarks.

Some members are more concerned about loosing street cred, than helping to keep 60+ bikes in one group

While on the subject of Sunday mass ride out..

How about splitting the ride into smaller groups, with a dedicated leader/tailender for each plus a few outrider/marshalls? These could even be segregated in terms of ability or weekender experience - novice/inter/expert as for track days. I could see it being far easier to keep a group of 20 bikes together for the duration. It would also avoid newbies feeling pressurised to chase faster riders to keep up with group, and prevent the convoy getting split by the slower riders within it.

Leaders must IMO stick to speed limits, and preferably stay slightly below them to avoid group getting strung out. If the leader is doing a constant 5-10mph over the limit, the tail enders will have to drive at mental speeds to keep up. I strongly beleive it's the leader, marshals and tail-enders ultimate responsibility to keep the group as a unit - not the riders within the group, most of which will not have a clue as to the planned route, or where they may be along it.

I was forced to ride at silly speeds for some of 2nd half of Sundays run, just to keep the tail end of the pack in front in sight, and that's just not acceptable. For a less experienced newbie on a slower monster that would have been a nightmare, and not a very enjoyable introduction to the weekender at all.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 09-05-2009 at 08:45 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

I did not say 'Shove it up your arse', i said 'id rather sew my nuts to the floor!!'

And it doesn't match my eyes anyhow! Didnt stop me stopping traffic though, illlegal as it may have been!!!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
I did not say 'Shove it up your arse', i said 'id rather sew my nuts to the floor!!'

And it doesn't match my eyes anyhow! Didnt stop me stopping traffic though, illlegal as it may have been!!!

Yorkie.
I was working from memory Yorkie, and forgot your 'nuts to the floor' comment

It's would have been nice to get a few bibbed up on Sunday, but in the end I was flogging a dead horse, and even lost the incentive to wear my own on run back to mill. Still needs to be properly sorted for 2010, we just need to thrash out a workable plan.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #25
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Why don't we all suggest Yorkie wears a yellow bib, leads the rideout , and then we can all watch him 'sew his balls to the carpet'.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #26
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Damn you JP!!!

Yorkie
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #27
Julie

...and hopefully stop him from doing his thing on the roundabouts on the big rideouts - which i think is not the right place (and i wasn't the only member who thought that....)

Sorry Yorkie - but please next year can you not do that thing you do on the roundabouts. Big group rideouts are not the place to fool about. We need to uphold a good image to the public and respect other riders and pack leaders and rear gunners.

lets not make the job even harder then it already it....
Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Its fine i only did it once this year!!! Im not that un-approachable, people can tell me if im doing wrong, i wont take it to heart!!

I wont be there next year to bother people, im on a little holiday instead. (Which is nice!)

Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie; 08-05-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Awwww what did you do Yorkie?! I missed it!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
I tried offering bibs around on Sunday only to be met with.. " I'm not wearing that you can shove it up your arse", or " I'm not wearing that I'll look gay" type of remarks.

Sorry Gary, I was guilty of that. If I'd have had half an idea that it was going to end up like it did I'd have changed my mind!

One other possible thought - what about breaking the ride into three sections, one possibly as a tea stop but perhaps another one or two as rally points, somewhere easy to find, should the group get split. If we lash everyone up with a photocopy of the route, then these should be easy to find.

I'm also close enough to recce rides next year if required