UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Earplugs

Old 19-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #16
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
3M foam disposable ear plugs for me, good noise reduction and comfortable

I’ve got custom moulded for shooting and despite being told they will work under a crash hat they’re hideously uncomfortable
I've tried several foam earplugs, even ones supposedly for children but I find when the foam expands, it puts too much pressure on the ear canals & causes pain
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
My son is an oil field related safety officer, he was given a tip by “an old hand” some years ago.....before inserting foam expandible put a small coating of hand cream in ear and roll the plug tight between creamy fingers, plug slips in much more easily and expands in the canal....who knew?!!!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #18
Flip

Bike: M900
For what it’s worth, in tests Arai helmets never do particularly well in noise tests due mostly to their visor side pod design (compared to the more flush fitting Shoei and AGV’s) and the number of vents most of them incorporate.

I do love Arai’s though so a fair trade off in my eyes (ears?).

With that in mind, I’ve just received another bunch of Moldex Spark ear plugs- notice they come in different colours per pair meaning you don’t get any cross contamination from left to right ear if you use the same colours for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
I've tried several foam earplugs, even ones supposedly for children but I find when the foam expands, it puts too much pressure on the ear canals & causes pain
If other ear plugs are too firm these might be worth a try as the ‘7800’ are their ‘soft’ version.

Last edited by Flip; 19-05-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #19
hh93

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
I thought 'Targus' was an album by Wishbone Ash on sale in Yorkshire
or ELP :-)
hh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #20
hh93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Well you got me there, I'd never heard of a targus, so I googled it and found it is a make of laptop. I thought it would be rather unusual to shove a laptop in each lughole, so I kept going and found a lughole skin flapper called a tragus.
I googled it too cos I was trying to be clever, then obviously spelt it wrong or it was autocorrected. So loose - loose in this case !!

I agree about ear protection 100% - I have worked around Gas Turbines all my life and managed to keep my hearing so far. Full on Motorcycle gear inc. ear plugs every time - if it's not worth wearing all the gear then I leave the bike at home and find another way to get there.

Just getting clumsy instead and dropping things everywhere !!

Oh, and crap spelling
Old 18-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #21
hh93

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
My son is an oil field related safety officer, he was given a tip by “an old hand” some years ago.....before inserting foam expandible put a small coating of hand cream in ear and roll the plug tight between creamy fingers, plug slips in much more easily and expands in the canal....who knew?!!!
There's a real problem with ear plugs and oil fields (I work on an oil production platform) is that you end up transferring anything on your fingers into your ear canal - ear infections are a massive problem where I used to work.