UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » An old'uns mid life crisis, the bike not me, though.....

Old 08-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #16
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Guys, thanks for the inputs.

I've shuffled the order into some kind of priority along with some more queries, thoughts.

1. Ally clutch basket to replace the much filed standard steel one, with ally plates. Less rotating mass.

2. Flywheel - overall sounds like it is worth it for me and the riding I do.

3. Cams, still undecided on these. We now know they'll fit, however is there going to be a benefit? I've already got paired FCR41s on long manifolds and don't really want the drawbacks of split FCRs, so will the IE cams give a benefit and if so, at which point in the power band?

4. 944cc increase. I'll price up the bore and plate. Have a dig around and see if the required jetting changes are on the net, unless anyone here knows? Then I can make the change, get a dyno run done to see where I'm at.

5 + 6 Oil system upgrade. Will look around for a DS pump or wait and do the 999RS pump. This will be depending on doing no 4.

7. MADASL spaghetti system - good call - how much though?

8. Lightweight wheels - the budget won't stretch to carbon, however anything will be lighter than the thick spoke Brembos so will look at alternative wheels. There's a KTM Superduke rear wheel knocking around so I'll compare weights and see if that's an easy win, if not any wheels from a modern 600 will be lighter.

Bike is all back together, just waiting for a free saturday to get it MOT'd and on the road. Then I think before I do any of the above I'll take it to Dynotech who are local to me and get a baseline run or two just so we know where we are starting from.

After that, over the winter, I'll do the stages as advice and budget allows.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crust View Post

I've shuffled the order into some kind of priority along with some more queries, thoughts.
But what about the drugs and hookers...?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #18
Flip

Neil Spalding of Sigma Performance went through a similar exercise a few years ago on an early air cooled 900.

Might be worth a few minutes of reading while you’re deciding on priorities.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/torquemonster.html

I think their work went out to Snells in the end but not sure if they still have anything to go with it.

Alan Knight (remember CK & AK?) could be your man but not sure if he’s still there?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #19
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I would do all the bolt on stuff first then dig into the motor if you need more. i think you should be able to get a Madasl exhaust for 2-300 but Yorkie is your best bet as he is connected to the guys there and has had one made. If you do the bolt on stuff you are adding performance and its pretty much free horsepower, although you are not making any more HP and tbh you will struggle to make much more with a 2V without spending mega bucks, but you are freeing up what is there already.

I would then go with the 944 or 1000DS upgrade for more torque and with an injection conversion to replace carbs as it makes them run better and much easier to tune or you could just stiick a 916/996 motor in there and have a real Monster!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #20
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Having chased you across an Italian mountain pass or two I’m not convinced your old 900 needs more giddy up, a good clean up yes, but I feared for my life that day!

Lol
Old 08-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #21
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Having chased you across an Italian mountain pass or two I’m not convinced your old 900 needs more giddy up, a good clean up yes, but I feared for my life that day!

Lol
Indeed, he went round Spa in under 3 minutes on a naked bike
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #22
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
Well I'll taking Slob's comment as a guide to the type of ridder you are Crust I would put the lighter flywheel top of your list, personally I wouldn't go for the minimum option, I took off 1kg off my 944cc ie's flywheel, leaving a little over 900gms. Two points here one stalling isn't really an issue, and you WILL notice the difference and secondly I have heard of people having problems with ali ones coming loose due I guess to the expansion/contraction differences of ali & steel which are less likely to show up on a race/track bike. I got a 960gm steel f/wheel made by Volano Leggero off ebay which as I remember it cost about £90 in all, which I fitted fine on my S2R 1000 lump.