UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » What Chain???

Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
While your about it, check the chain alignment.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Capo
You Are What You Is

AEM do a system this one with magnesium carrier and titanium cush bolts

Max can sort you out

Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
AEM do a system this one with magnesium carrier and titanium cush bolts

Max can sort you out

AEM? Thanks -I will google them & ask for Max.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Capo
You Are What You Is

Its Max Desmo Performance Products / Ray Petty Meccanica in London. He is the UK agent for AEM
Check out AEM website to see what is available.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

OK now I get it! Thanks again Capo.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jez. The 900ie sprocket for 2000 is unique. It went back to standard a little later on but the change over time is not easy to pin down. It's all down to the position of the sprocket retainer groove in the shaft. I could measure the position on mine if you wish.

You can buy the specific sprocket if you look around hard enough, but you can also use a standard one with a spacer.

The standard one has a 10mm high boss on one side. The 2000 900ie one has a 5mm boss both sides.
To use a standard one, place the 10mm boss towards the engine and make a 5mm spacer to go between the sprocket and retainer plate. Use 5mm longer screws too.

The chain you need is DID VX-2. This is the lighter DID chain. I checked this when I fitted my last one, with DID themselves in Japan, after I doubted the blurb which states that, that chain is suitable for machines up to 750. DID confirmed that VX-2 was the right chain for my 900ie.
The previous chain was MUCH heavier and was the source of vibration and harshness.

I can recommend z15 front and z39 rear with a 98 link chain.

The fancy sprocket and carrier Capo pictured is for Single siders and no good on your forked swinging arm. just get a good ol' renthal.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Jez. The 900ie sprocket for 2000 is unique. It went back to standard a little later on but the change over time is not easy to pin down. It's all down to the position of the sprocket retainer groove in the shaft. I could measure the position on mine if you wish.

You can buy the specific sprocket if you look around hard enough, but you can also use a standard one with a spacer.

The standard one has a 10mm high boss on one side. The 2000 900ie one has a 5mm boss both sides.
To use a standard one, place the 10mm boss towards the engine and make a 5mm spacer to go between the sprocket and retainer plate. Use 5mm longer screws too.

The chain you need is DID VX-2. This is the lighter DID chain. I checked this when I fitted my last one, with DID themselves in Japan, after I doubted the blurb which states that, that chain is suitable for machines up to 750. DID confirmed that VX-2 was the right chain for my 900ie.
The previous chain was MUCH heavier and was the source of vibration and harshness.

I can recommend z15 front and z39 rear with a 98 link chain.

The fancy sprocket and carrier Capo pictured is for Single siders and no good on your forked swinging arm. just get a good ol' renthal.
So the "Unique" sprocket is also required for the 2002 900ie aswell perhaps but maybe not? I' would have guessed they would be the same but... I will call Neil at Cornerspeed tomorrow and find out.

Currently the rear sprocket is a 43. What would be the benefits of changing to a 39?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You will probably need a standard front sprocket for a 2002 model, the quirky one was just 2000. (and a few early 2001)
I think it was derived from a Paso, but not sure on that?

If you're happy with the gearing, leave it be. A 39 tooth sprocket will be higher gearing than you're used to. It makes 6th a real overdrive gear, you won't be in 5th or 6th in the twisties. 20mph is as low as is comfortable without clutch slipping, so if you do a lot of town work, stick to the lower gearing.

I do get nearly 70mpg though, without riding like a poof.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 11-03-2018 at 09:29 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
You will probably need a standard front sprocket for a 2002 model, the quirky one was just 2000. (and a few early 2001)
I think it was derived from a Paso, but not sure on that?

If you're happy with the gearing, leave it be. A 39 tooth sprocket will be higher gearing than you're used to. It makes 6th a real overdrive gear, you won't be in 5th or 6th in the twisties. 20mph is as low as is comfortable without clutch slipping, so if you do a lot of town work, stick to the lower gearing.

I do get nearly 70mpg though, without riding like a poof.
Thanks Mr Gazza, I figured you would know.

70mpg sounds like a fair bit better than mine, but for the most part the bike doesn't really go that far, that often so whats a bit of petrol. LOL.

Demon Tweeks have the full range of DID chains in stock but their page doesn't give the "VX-2" code on any of the three. A quick 'phone call should resolve that. I don't like the sound (or feel) of vibration or harshness.
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...ns?f=brand:did,

As for your riding like a poof - if you even slightly resemble your pic you can ride however you like and I won't say a word! LOL.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 11-03-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain