UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project M1000ie DS

Old 20-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #16
Nasher

Bike: M900
I found some crap wiring associated with the daft indicators, including wires just twisted together

And I think the plastic tank is a little swollen.
I assume not fitting on the frame rails properly is a sign of this:

Last edited by Nasher; 20-03-2021 at 09:49 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #17
Nasher

For a little lighter relief I decided to make my mind up about the Exhausts.

The bike came fitted with Genuine Ducati performance Remus cans, but the high level ones.

But I wasn't sure I liked them so trial fitted my set of exactly the same cans but which have link pipes for a lower position.

The exercise just confirmed that I much prefer the lower ones.

So these will be for sale once I've given them a clean.

Old 20-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #18
Nasher

Handlebars wise I've ordered an ST2 Top Yoke and clip-ons from ebay, but am really interested in the option Darren mentioned, as I could use some adjustable Clip-ons I have which would look nicer than the ST ones.

I will need to make a bracket for the clocks, but think I have that sussed already.
Old 21-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Darren

Hi

I am really interested in the Adaptors.
I already have a ST2 Yoke on the way.
Can you remove the Blue centres?
As I'm putting adjustable Showas in it I'd like to be able to get to the adjusters.

Nasher.
Yes, the blue covers screw out to give access to the fork top rebound and preload adjusters. They also have mounting eyes for the dash, which I'm not sure the ST bars will have but the S4 ones do have.

The only reason I didn't use them on my bike was they didn't work with the DP steering damper, they were just a bit too tall and would stop the bars turning. I suppose you could modify the damper height or make them a bit shorter if you intend to fit a yoke mounted steering damper like the DP one.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage

Last edited by Darren69; 21-03-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Yes, the blue covers screw out to give access to the fork top rebound and preload adjusters. They also have mounting eyes for the dash, which I'm not sure the ST bars will have but the S4 ones do have.

The only reason I didn't use them on my bike was they didn't work with the DP steering damper, they were just a bit too tall and would stop the bars turning. I suppose you could modify the damper height or make them a bit shorter if you intend to fit a yoke mounted steering damper like the DP one.
Hey Darren, your inbox is full.

Nasher.
Old 21-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #21
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Hey Darren, your inbox is full.

Nasher.
I've made some space now.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #22
Nasher

I managed to get some time in my workshop this afternoon, and mainly carried on stripping, investigating, and evaluating the bike.

Everything I take off has a massive build up of crud etc behind it, so I’m going to have to buy some more brake cleaner I think.

The exhaust will need to come off soon to change the swingarm, and I was worried that all the exhaust studs and their nuts looked really rusty and would shear off, so I held my breath and tried them all slowly with just enough force to get them to move.

On all 4 the nuts were so rusty that the studs wound out of the head, but luckily all 4 came out, which is one big worry out of the way.
I have some M8 stainless threaded bar to make up some new studs.

Interestingly the footrest hangers are spaced out off the frame with turned Aluminium spacers.
I’m sure they are not standard, but the special bolts are long enough to go through the spacers and the frame, so would have been stupidly long without the spacers.
Has anyone seen this before?

Big revelation of the day was finding this behind the Left Hand Side panel:

I’m really not a fan of these things, the LEDs cycle on it when I turn the ignition on and the engine does start and rev, but once the bike is up and ready I think I’ll get it over to Moto Rapido for a re-map rather than use this.

Does anyone know if any of the LEDs in the ‘Bar’ should be lit after they cycle at ignition on?
Or does that only happen when the bike is running?
I’ve not started the bike since I found the Power Commander as there are no silencers on it at the moment.

To feel like I’d achieved something I decided to sort out the bolts for the Aluminium swingarm I will be fitting.
The special bolts that clamp the swingarm pivot are not expensive, but are currently out of stock everywhere, so I turned up a couple of Brass spacers in my lathe to fit over some Stainless Allen head bolts and put the chamfer on by hand with a file – original in the middle, obviously.

Nasher.
Old 21-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
My M900Sie had alloy Remus high exhausts when I got it home (not stamped DP though?). I think the spacers may well have come with the exhausts as mine had identical ones. They are needed to space the hangers away from the pipes.
I also found that instead of the proper shouldered bolts, some brilliant engineer had formed his own by wrapping insulation tape round some ordinary bolts!
I commissioned a set of aluminium top hats for the hangers for use with stainless Allen bolts. I did have to carefully work out the length of the M10s going into the crankcases for fear of pushing the bottoms of the tapped holes out into the sump! Sorry I can't remember the lengths now, I do remember that they are different on either side.

I might be interested in your Remus cans when/if you sell them, if they will work at low level on link pipes, I do have a set of link pipes.. Might have to swap some measurements?
Old 21-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #24
Nasher

Ah, that make sense Mr G.

The one big piece I'm still missing is a decent rear shock.
I'm still a little miffed that I can't use the Hyperpro one I have because it's too long, being for a Hoop type suspension Monster.

Nasher.
Old 21-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #25
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Correct fitting spacers to clear the up part of exhaust. Quite often they go missing when sold secondhand. Enough questions about that on this forum in the past and that special rear hanger going under seat and seat lock. That m4 bolt is fragile to undo often being rusted in.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #26
Nasher

Thanks guys

I'll whip all the spacers out and cable tie them to the exhausts.

Nasher
Old 22-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I think you need to hang on to one of those spacers to go under the hanger to level it up with the side stand bracket? Maybe there is already a steel one the right size?
Old 22-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #28
Nasher

Good point Mr G, I've not removed that side footrest bracket yet, so will have a look at how it's been handled.

Nasher.
Old 22-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #29
Nasher

I'm supposed to be working from home, but couldn't resist popping out to have a look at the spacers on the sidestand side.

There is one long and one short spacer that side at the bottom, so it looks like the long spacer will go with the exhausts, and the short one gets swapped back into it's original position.

Any one any idea what the High level DP Remus cans are worth in their good used condition with all the brackets.?

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 22-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #30
Dukedesmo

Quote:

Interestingly the footrest hangers are spaced out off the frame with turned Aluminium spacers.
I’m sure they are not standard, but the special bolts are long enough to go through the spacers and the frame, so would have been stupidly long without the spacers.
Has anyone seen this before?

As above, I assume the spacers are to fit the high level exhausts behind the footrest brackets? I don't have the standard footpeg brackets with pillion provision but needed to space the rearsets out so that my boots didn't burn on the high level pipes!

One question though: Is that weld, part way up the vertical frame tube from the footrest standard? Because it looks likes a repair or a bodge because they didn't have the correct length of tube.

But if it is deliberate, they could have done a neater job...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote