UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » What was your first bike?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
Numbduke
Thanks?!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

;-) Note to diary....don't send sneakyt a Christmas Card
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #17
Bodybag

Quote:
It is difficult to say how much the urge will be to drive above my ability but I have heard stories from everyone I've told I’m getting a bike... scary stuff!
And I bet they all started something like "A mate of a mate of mine..." etc. etc. If we listened to everyones scare stories we'd never leave the house. Axe wielding maniacs etc!!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 AM   #18
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My first bikes were a BSA Starfire 250cc and a Suzuki 80cc 2 stroke when i was 15.
I am 50 now and never had a bikeless year.Triumphs,Nortons,MotoGuzzis,HDs Bmw, Hondas,and 4 Ducatis ,over 30 bikes in 35 years of riding.
But the last 5 years have been sole Ducatis the S4 and M750 and no desire to change .
Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome sneakyt.

Any 600-800 cc Monster would make a great first bike. Not too much power, but enough to get you out of trouble when you need it. Buy the best one you can afford - 620/695/S2R or even 696.

My first bike was a Honda CB500 - I didn't really like it.
It lasted 1 month until I saw and heard a Monster and I was sold - the Honda was soon part-exchanged for a brand new Monster 620 and I was hooked.

Go out there, pass your test and get the bike you know you need.

By thew way namduke -my friend's first bike after passing her test was a GSXR1000! I think it taught her to be very respectful of the power. Not that I would recomemend it for everyone as a first bike.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #20
squiffything

Welcome Sneaky. As you have seen the guys and gals on this forum are a little, erm, shall we say individual. If you join in expect fun, every now and then heated debates, knowledge from years of cumulitive experience and a non biased opinion about Ducati Monsters. You will get the chance of ride outs, social gatherings a cracking once a year weekender and if you require it help and friendship that at times can be quite touching.
As for the monnie as a first bike there cant be many others that give you a range that you can grow with as your experience grows. Start with something small 600/620/695 or even the ugly uncle Festa new one. After a year or so look to get yourself a bigger one but be warned you will not want to trade up you will just get another. If you go for an older model to start with you will not be as gutted if you do take the inevitable topple and scratch/ding the tank/bodywork/pegs/levers etc. After a few of these and once you have moved up to the bigger beast the little one becomes the project bike. One more thing big power does not always mean more fun. Slob on here amongst others has posted many a time about how he gets more giggles hacking around on his 600 compared to his 1000 and how through the twisties he can far outride the bigger bikes due to its lightness through the bends. They are also a much easier bike to ride in town and noting your address this may be an advantage to you.

Good luck with the test and the hunting for the monster. Your quest has begun.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #21
sadbiker

First bike was a SS50, A Sports Moped, It made its power going downhill coming down the A62 into Yorkshire over the Pennines.
My first big bike was a CB250N superdream.
Then a GT550, GT750, 3xGPX600Rs, NC30, ZX6r,CB900Hornet, S2R1000 and now changing to a CB1000r, Yes going back to the dark side some will say. Love the monster but miss my hornet and only now has something been released that could replace the hornet. Plus its a italian design team. So I can still get away with my Italian Flag Helmet.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #22
PaulEllison

My first bike after my Direct Access test was a Ducati 600ss, after riding it for around 2 miles I rang my mate up to tell him that it was knackered, all jerky and that.
He asked me what speed I was doing, around 30 mph around town, what gear he asked, 5th I said..... That's your problem, you should be in 2nd or 3rd..
I was taught on a 600 Bandit, where you could do 30mph in top gear, Ducati's can't.
Just remember that first time you ride one !!
Paul.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #23
Lucati

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulEllison View Post
My first bike after my Direct Access test was a Ducati 600ss, after riding it for around 2 miles I rang my mate up to tell him that it was knackered, all jerky and that.
He asked me what speed I was doing, around 30 mph around town, what gear he asked, 5th I said..... That's your problem, you should be in 2nd or 3rd..
I was taught on a 600 Bandit, where you could do 30mph in top gear, Ducati's can't.
Just remember that first time you ride one !!
Paul.
That really made me chuckle! It's totally true - they are a different beast to the bikes you get at Direct access. When I took a 695 out for a test ride straight after i passed my test it scared the hell out of me! Clutch is either in or out - very little inbetween, the sound, the vibration - It's tamed now and it has been fun getting to that point. I guess they're not called Monsters for nothing!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
giler

1st actual thing on the road was 50cc Italjet Enduro, followed by a few 125's.
First big bike (day after I passed my rest!) was GXSR 750WN.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
welcome mate!

Get a monster, most recent you can afford. They're great bikes and you'll have more fun on on a Ducati with 50bhp than a 100bhp race rep. And they're soooo much cooler.

In the 600cc range, you've got the base 600 (which may or may not be injected, can't remember), the 620, which WAS injected, the 695 and now the 696. The 695 hasn't been out too long and still command a premium, the 620 has and is excellent value. The 600 is an excellent bike, but as a first/only bike, it may be a bit long in the tooth - you'd need to maintain it properly. When I started, I didn't know enough to look after a needy bike.

Re getting a more powerful bike; you could, but in London, there's not much point IMHO. Plus, the 1000s will cost a lot to insure as a first bike unless you live in a salubrious area and garage it, and the watercoooled bikes (S4, S4R, S4Rs) eat clutches in town. The 800 people mention here is a good bike, but it's still reasonably new and expensive.

Whatever you get, you're likely to drop it at some point, so by all means get something pretty, but be prepared for it to look nasty at some point. And if you're going to park in bays with scoots, it will get scratched. There's no point paying a premium for a perfect bike. Get something that's been maintained and loved, but you can save a lot of money by going for something that has a few blemishes.

My first bike: CBR600 and I had three sets of fairings on it in the 6 years I owned it. Great, but dull.

BTW, it always amuses me when I see a post from someone with a post count of zero
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #26
Lucati

Quote:
WOW! You guys are FANTASTIC! What a response in such little time!

Lucati : I would be keen for some more information, thanks!
You have a PM!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #27
adam15

Get a monster, they are great fun to ride.
My first bike was my M600 at 17, I did my one week course and test and then brought a monster and had it restricted for the 2 years.
I know yours is not going to be restricted but you should not have a problem handling it.
I still got mine and love it, currently rebuilding it , so it will look even better
Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #28
sneakyt

I want my test to be tomorrow!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #29
gremlin

The thing with an older monnie is that the bits are relatively cheap and there's no plastic to get scratched when you bin it. I know from bitter experience, until mine was lowered enough I was buying levers regularly! I've gone down the cheap tatty route until I've got experience (only passed test in September) then she'll be made pretty. For grins per mile you can't get better, other half pootles along behind me and swears he can see the grin through the back of my helmet. Handling wise they can beat most sports bikes on twisties, they do run out of puff a bit but if you're doing a ton you're well over the limit and unless you've got neck muscles like Mike Tyson it can get a bit uncomfortable! My limit is around 80 but my neck's knackered due to car crashes etc. Get your test done ASAP cos they're changing it in October and making it more difficult, get some dry miles under your belt before the winter misery and then next summer you'll be set up for the weekender.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #30
Terry

Age 16 NSU Quickly, did miles on it until the back wheel collapsed due to lack of spokes!

Tags
monster, newbie, unrealistic idea