UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project Single sider has begun

Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #256
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I hear what your saying. Annoying thing is in my head as I cant actually remember in the past touching the engine seeing how hot the crankcases got. I reckon it is Paranoia.

I never ever got the fans on before this time. I find it hard to believe that the thermostat was fine before and is now hotter setting.

If you can do us a favour and run yours for say 5-10 mins on idle and see how hot your heads and crankcases are and how long they take to cool down.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #257
retskcid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I hear what your saying. Annoying thing is in my head as I cant actually remember in the past touching the engine seeing how hot the crankcases got. I reckon it is Paranoia.

I never ever got the fans on before this time. I find it hard to believe that the thermostat was fine before and is now hotter setting.

If you can do us a favour and run yours for say 5-10 mins on idle and see how hot your heads and crankcases are and how long they take to cool down.
I would tend to agree that its paranoia! But you need to be sure. When the fans kicked in did they turn off again? If they did, it means they cooled sufficiently - if it was overheating they would have stayed on.

I agree on the thermostat but I guess its possible. I will run mine later today (when the neighbours are up!!) and report back. How long do you run yours at idle before the fans kick in? I'll time mine.

My point is that if the rad hoses are getting hot water is circulating as it should - thats good! And the fan kicking in/out is also a good sign.

I just re-read your first post. If you were able to remove the cap after a short period I doubt it was getting too hot. Maybe a combination of the painted engine/cases and new pipes are causing it to run slightly hotter? Do the pipes need setting up?

Rich

Last edited by retskcid; 04-05-2008 at 06:17 AM..
Old 04-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #258
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I never had the fans kick in yesterday when I ran it for around 10 mins.I guess I lost my bottle. The other day I had been out on the first proper road test for around 20mins but not thrashing it and was around 5ish so not particularly hot weather and when I arrived back to my garage the fans were running.

Im going to give it a short ride this morning a few miles to check it out.It never felt that it was running bad apart from I get the odd backfires with these pipes. I have another ecu to try if I want which came with the pipes but they may be 996 so it may cause other problems.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #259
retskcid

ok, I'll run mine at idle until the fans kick in and let you know what I find. You should get those pipes setup though, 'cause if its running lean it could make it run hotter.

I agree that it sounds odd that the fans were running after your ride out. I would test it idling first (not riding), through a few cycles of the fans kicking in/out - make sure thats ok and then test ride. Riding it should make it cooler because of the airflow.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #260
retskcid

I ran mine at idle for a little over 10 mins - no fans kicked in - but I had to go out so switched off. The cases were hot to touch, you could put your hand on them for maybe 5-10 secs.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #261
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I haven't had chance today to go for a spin as I went to Scrapps for some seaside and fish and chips. We was talking about bike and I dont know about other s4's/r's do your fans come on regurlarly as maybe mine didnt ever but maybe when I refitted loom and engine the connections were better and why it now seems strange.

It seems quite logical so if you run an s4 or s4r do you often hear your fans.

Im going to try and do a few miles tomorrow morning.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #262
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I thinks it is paranoia.

I went out an hour or so ago and felt fine. Rode about 6 miles to see my daughter and got there no fans on and everything feeling ok.

Fans didn't turn on but were spinning in the wind. Casings were bearable to touch and no funny noises. Got home ok too and GT coming around to check it out in next half hour.

Looking better now. Feeling less worried but need to keep testing for peace of mind. Arrow feels such a long way right now. Cant wait though.

My seat cowls gone back for respraying as I dropped it on the garage floor last week an scratched it. Muppet ( me) didnt put brackets on when I got it and placed it on seat to look at it.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #263
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I had a visitor today to see her in the fleshso to speak. GT came round and was quite taken with the colour. Made me glad that my error changed the whole concept now. A cold beer and a laugh and chat about the club, and how the club seems to have a positive direction at the moment. We both feel that this years started late and will be starting at Arrow Mill this year.

I just have now to sort out my clutch but it seems to be working ok on 4 lugs.

Cheers for coming round GT. Felt a wee p1ssed later
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #264
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
The fans on my S4R don't kick in until 105 degrees!
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #265
Scotty

I can only remember once my fans coming on whilst out riding

had hooned down from Braemer to Aberdeen (at 60 mph officer) on a baking hot day and then sat at loads of traffic lights in Aberdeen rush hour

I think this is more of a testament to Aberdeen's **** traffic light system rather than poor cooling
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #266
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Fans?

Pah! Too may radiators!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #267
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

See I was paranoid.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #268
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Cheers for the beer me dear & nice to suss out where new pad is at last

CU both again soon

Oh.... and BTW did I mention I fugging lurve that colour?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #269
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I think you did and Im glad you did. I think you liked it lots
Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #270
scrapps

cool

Glad to hear you have been out on her mate and she is going ok. A day away with ice cream and chips must of helped. p.s. cheers for the ice cream mate