UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project M1000ie DS

Old 18-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #211
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Oh, and as for the Costa can over the piggyback reservoir on the shock, that obviously just slips off.
I put it on there just to send one of the overly rich, only Ohlins won't kill you, Ducati Owners Club members into meltdown, when he wanted to come and pick some parts up.
I like it.

Still , I'm sure there is a lot of suspension out there using Latte as a damping medium..
Old 18-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #212
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post

The main differences over the base models are the S had adjustable forks, an aluminium swing arm, front cowl and some carbon fibre (although what is not stated).
My M1000Sie (made in late 2003, 2004 model year, registered in 2005) had had one previous owner when I got it, and there was nothing on it that didn't look factory, so I suspect that the carbon bits were restricted to the side panels and the silencer heel plates.
Old 18-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #213
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacs View Post
My M1000Sie (made in late 2003, 2004 model year, registered in 2005) had had one previous owner when I got it, and there was nothing on it that didn't look factory, so I suspect that the carbon bits were restricted to the side panels and the silencer heel plates.
Well if that's the case my M1000???? has both of those now as well.
Old 18-03-2023, 01:58 PM   #214
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The later S model Monsters like the M1000 were really not that much over stock, it's only really the early M900S that got all the best goodies. Yea the S4 got the lighter wheels but it was heavier by way of the engine.

Even under normal riding you should notice that the bike will turn in a little easier and with the ali swing arm the rear should work a little better, more sensitive. You don't have to be Valantino to feel the benefits and besides the bike looks better too right?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 04:24 PM   #215
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It's my understanding that the steel and ali swinging arms weigh the same and that the SSSA is much heavier.
Old 24-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #216
Nasher

I renewed the MOT on this bike last Friday, on the day it ran out, but was confident it would pass.

Then did @80miles on 'A' and 'B' roads, which put a big smile on my face and reminded me why I love it, until I got off it and the pain hit.

But with lots of 'stuff' going on, my need for a bike with a more open riding position means I may still have to let it go, along with one or two of my other bikes.

I've only ridden my 999 and this M1000 recently, and they are obviously completely different animals.
And there are definitely places where winding open the 2 valve air cooled engine in the M1000 just feels better than the more civilised smoother power delivery of the 4 Valve Liquid cooled 999.
And actually, in many ways I prefer the sound of the Remus DP cans on the M1000 over the standard can on the 999. I've tried two different aftermarket cans on it and both were far too loud for my taste, even compared to the admittedly loud DP cans on the monster.
Old 24-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #217
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
I have the DP cans on mine too, along with (as I found out when doing the service) the DP air filter. Unfortunately I don't have a 999, but I do love the sound of this bike.

velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #218
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
7075 alloy is used in aircraft parts, usually one of the aterials used for stressed structural parts.
There's a few varients increasing tensile strength, a T6 or T651 would be good if you were worried about ali not being up to the job.
Old 24-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #219
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The main differences over the base models are the S had adjustable forks, an aluminium swing arm, front cowl and some carbon fibre (although what is not stated).
This makes a lot of sense. I have the original bill of sale for mine, which features the hugger and the DP carbon cans (from memory, a 350 quid upgrade in 2003!) and state its an S model. I have adjustable forks, but a standard rear shock (not the remote res Ohlins featured on other S ie models).

There are carbon fibre side panels and heel plates, but no carbon front mudguard. There’s an alu swing arm, along with the addition of the seat cowl and headlight fairing. I had some concern that it might be a bitsa due to the non-std paint job, but I think it’s that the 1000ie S models didn’t really have a strict list of what was included… or what wasn’t!
Old 24-05-2023, 05:00 PM   #220
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The M1000S seems to be the poor relation of all the other S models and would seem to be little more than a cosmetic upgrade over the standard M1000, other than the forks Maybe the price difference was less but it still had some good bits like the ally swing arm and adj forks but all the rest was just cosmetic, carbon, fairings etc and little more than a marketing exercise. Chromo anyone? By this tine they all got the same engine power too so the hp advantage was no longer a thing.

From what I can see in the scope of the first edition bible (up to 1100evo) only 3 models came with Ohlins from factory:-

'99 M900S carby had full floating disks and steering damper too and then M900Sie had Ohlins for a year or 2 then dropped the Ohlins due to cost restrictions.

The earlier '98 model had the floating brakes but not the Ohlins.

Then 1100S full Ohlins front and back. Not sure what other extras were included but probably not much.

S4RS full Ohlins forks and shock and full carbon body kit (not tail piece or things like air runners).

Even the high spec 300 unit limited edition S4 Foggy didn't get Ohlins when perhaps it should since it appears to be the only major DP upgrade not included. Again with the cosmetic spec items like fancy paint job over real stuff but at least you did get a full DP carbon Termi system in the deal and that was a huge chunk of money over the standard bike so the other bits were effectively free!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #221
Nasher

That's a really clean looking M1000 Velosam, and parked up in a glorious location.

I really regret now not stripping mine down to a bare engine and refinishing it whilst I was recommissioning it after buying it.
Old 25-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #222
velosam

Clean...that's the second time today! A mate was wandering past work and gave me some criticism for not cycling in and taking the Monster.

To me it’s pretty filthy at the moment as I haven’t cleaned it since going out a week last Saturday! Last weekend I installed an outside tap at the front of the house to avoid having to drag the hose round the side path or through the garage (or taking the bike round the back), so that it makes cleaning the bike easier - just haven’t managed to do it yet.

The pic is taken in Glen Orchid - fortunately for me, only an hour and a bit away.
Old 26-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #223
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Orchid?

Is that Glen Orchy ? Glorious bit of road from The Welly to Dalmaly…..love it !
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 08:06 AM   #224
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Is that Glen Orchy ? Glorious bit of road from The Welly to Dalmaly…..love it !
Yes it is, well spotted!
Old 03-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #225
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Simple question.

What do 'we' reckon this M1000DSie is worth in it's current spec if it had to go?
So the question remains, what do we think this bike is worth?
Lets just call it an M1000 of unknown initial spec with some mods.
5 spoke wheels
Aluminium Swingarm
Ducati Performance Remus Cans
Later Reg/Rec
1098 Fork internals and bottoms with Radial calipers(can refit the original set up if preferred)
Etc.

Oh, and it's cosmetically 'used'.

I need to take stock, tidy up life, and consolidate.

I'm almost certain I'll now be selling my lovely 999 when I've finished the cosmetic repairs following my accident.
It's the most comfy bike I own, but I couldn't go too far on it.

I'm almost certain I'll put my 1000SS/SL hybrid up for sale again having now recovered from the trauma of what happened when I sold it last year.

A few will know that my plan was, or could still be, to make room in my workshop for a Multistrada Enduro project to do some miles on.
However I've realised that a newer 1100/1200 Monster would also do the job, and I'm far more likely to pick up a crashed or otherwise abused one as a project in the first place.