UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project M1000ie DS

Old 31-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #196
Nasher

Bike: M900
On the Stein Dinse website, if you look at the image for item 12 on the clutch side explosion shown above you get this which explains it:

Old 31-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #197
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Many thanks for all the info Nasher. That's completely demystified it for me.
I've also been studying my Monster and SS this afternoon.
I think the way forward is with 3D printing in clear or translucent plastic. Maybe with an ali sleeve over the body with a window in it for a sight gauge.
I have all the parts to measure for a CAD model, just a matter of identifying a suitable printing material.
Old 27-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #198
Nasher

I've wanted to convert this Bike to a MOSFET type Regulator/Rectifier for some time.

I converted my old M900 and it made a big difference to charging, plus of course the newer tech unit generates a lot less heat. And I've also recently converted my 1000SS.

The issue with the conversion on an M1000 is space.
The Reg/Rec is sited under the saddle, not behind the headstock, and is bolted down to the top of the oil breather box.

The breather box is a complicated molded shape, and there simply isn't room to fit the newer MOSFET Reg/Rec.

Firstly, I should say that despite all the arguments for and against the standard breather system I decided I want to keep a standard(ish) system and do not want to fit a separate K&N style filter on a pipe connected to the engine breather outlet.

I did think about slicing the upper raised sections off the breather box and plastic welding on a simple flat top section, which as you can see from this image should be possible.

But even with a flat top there is very little room under the saddle as the MOSFET is significantly taller than the old unit.

Last edited by Nasher; 27-12-2022 at 02:01 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 01:22 PM   #199
Nasher

What I did have to hand is an old M900/750/600 Carbie Oil Breather box:

This will do the same job, but freed up a lot of space to mount the new Reg/Rec on a simple Aluminium plate, with a little angled bracket to attach the Carbie Breather box.

If it all works OK I might make a new plate with the box mount integrated as a folded up tab.
Old 27-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #200
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
A very neat and elegant solution, Nasher. I would say it looks factory - but it's much better than that!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #201
Nasher

Thanks Luddite

I've had a message left on my profile asking what brand Reg/Rec I used.
I obviously can't reply like I could to a Private message.

It's a used Multistrada 1200 unit I picked up off Ebay.
Old 29-12-2022, 11:03 AM   #202
RichardDDuke

Bike: Other Ducati
Nasher, Apols for the message in the wrong place. Thought I'd sent you a DM... Sorry...
RichardDDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2023, 08:47 PM   #203
Nasher

As well as swapping the swollen tank over this weekend I changed the wheels for a pair of 5 spokes.
I've had the rear one for a while and found a front one at a decent price recently.
A while ago I did buy an Aprilia 5 spoke front wheel which is very similar, I ground the Aprilia name off it and sprayed it to match the Ducati rear, but didn't get around to fitting it before I found the Ducati one.

Both are ST4R in origin and look so much better than the original 3 spokes.

And I think the above are the first images I've posted with the other tank sporting it's later style Decals.

Last edited by Nasher; 15-01-2023 at 08:49 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #204
900Rebuilder

A mod I will probably do as well at some point in the future as the 5 spokes do look a lot better than the 3's in my humble opinion
Old 16-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #205
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Rebuilder View Post
A mod I will probably do as well at some point in the future as the 5 spokes do look a lot better than the 3's in my humble opinion
Thanks 900R, I also have them in my 1000SS/900SL Hybrid, and they look good there too:

Old 16-03-2023, 02:14 PM   #206
Nasher

Simple question.

What do 'we' reckon this M1000DSie is worth in it's current spec if it had to go?
Old 16-03-2023, 05:48 PM   #207
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The M1000 is quite rare and sought after as not many were made before becoming the S2R. The M1000Sie is rarer still. It's not clear which yours is as you have described it as M1000DSie.
Since you have seriously upgraded the front suspension at least. (not sure if Costa are reputed good suspension manufacturers?) and the brakes, it now exceeds the spec of an Sie. I suspect that it's worth in the region of 5k, but I'm seriously out of touch.
Academic as you will be keeping it anyway..

Probably worth a little bit more in Red and with a complete tail?

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 16-03-2023 at 05:51 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #208
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Some excellent and clever work there Nasher , inspiring us to greater things on Monsters
Old 18-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #209
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I looked into the M1000 production and model variants, which I have summarised below:-

Production was from 2003 to 2005 and there a few variants each year. All models have the 1000cc DS engine so they don't use that in the model names so it is less confusing.

2003: 2 variants M1000 Dark IE and M1000 S IE

2004: 2 variants M1000 IE and M1000 S IE (no Dark version)

2005: M1000 IE, M1000 S IE and M1000 Chromo IE

The Chromo was a limited edition and one that I wasn't aware of before.

The main differences over the base models are the S had adjustable forks, an aluminium swing arm, front cowl and some carbon fibre (although what is not stated).

Production numbers aren't stated but I would guess the Dark and Chromo are the really rare ones having only been in production for 1 year each.

The nice 5 spoke wheels were only on the S4 and then later on the S4R and S2R Monsters but were used on SS and STs models and are a good upgrade (slightly less unsprung weight).

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 11:29 AM   #210
Nasher

Gents

Many thanks for your input. Mr G, I can be a bit unpredictable at times, if I was offered a good deal on it I would let it go.

In truth, I really don't know what it was originally sold as spec wise, but I assume it was a base model.
Swapping the Steel Swingarm for an Ali one, and the original forks for adjustable Showas effectively brought it up to 'S' level, without the purely cosmetic bits, although I've obviously now changed the forks again.

The 5 spoke wheels just look so much nicer in my opinion, the lesser weight being something that my riding style and ability won't really make any use of.

The DP Remus cans make a much nicer noise than the std cans would, but to me it's a bike I like riding without worrying that the weather isn't at it's best, although I've never actually left home in the rain on it.

Oh, and as for the Costa can over the piggyback reservoir on the shock, that obviously just slips off.
I put it on there just to send one of the overly rich, only Ohlins won't kill you, Ducati Owners Club members into meltdown, when he wanted to come and pick some parts up.