UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Rolling refresh -oil line mod S2R 1000

Old Today, 04:55 PM   #1
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000
Rolling refresh -oil line mod S2R 1000

Starting new thread just for this job (other “rolling refresh” posts refer).

Well I cracked on and did the oil line mod and finished the minor service.

Oil line mod install all went smoothly enough and I’m happy with the result. The one exception was the total PITA getting both oil lines through the wire guide attached to engine case on lower front left. After various failed approaches in the end brute force and molegrips on the wire guide did the job. In hindsight it probably would have been smarter to remove the wire guide and remodel it a bit off the bike with a vice/hammer/molegrips to make it a tad wider (or to fit both lines through before refitting), but I was not keen to undo the casing bolt to take it off.

I do hope my new oil line o rings were not damaged in the lengthy and somewhat brutal process of getting the lines through the very tight guide (so far so good after one static run). Sadly my newly painted starter motor already got some scuffs from my various attempts to wrangle the pesky oil lines through the guide. I may touch it up (again!) later.
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #2
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000
Plastic clips to hold the oil lines together (but not touching) work great. If anyone’s interested it’s part number 75811421A (Hose Guide for Ducati Hypermotard amongst others). Also pleased the only point the oil lines come together and touch - in the wire guide - is where they both have extra rubber coated protection. So hopefully no issues with vibration/rubbing oil lines.

Rotating the lines where they fit into the oil cooler before tightening helps fine tune the oil line routing up the side/over front cylinder to look neat and avoid the lines touching electrical cables or frame, engine etc

Accurate torque settings (25 Nm) on oil lines are noted as critical for safety in the workshop manual. I’d got some quality crows foot attachements for my torque wrench to sort this (using them fitted at 90 degrees to torque wrench to avoid changing torque calibrations). However, I had already discovered when taking the oil lines off that the fact these crows foot spanners only have a gap and are not fully open jawed makes them grip better but also be very tricky to use in the limited space. This was especially the case at the engine end of the lines where the starter motor is very close. So I’d already bought some cheap fully open jawed ones and in the end these proved the better option to use for all the oil line fittings tightened in this task, whilst holding the oil nipples still with a regular open spanner. The oil nipples have higher torque/strong threadlock so shouldn’t move, but I preferred to hold them steady just in case

The Mr Gazza oil cooler guard needed a little tweak to the brackets in the vice to fit perfectly, but it looks great. Thank you Mr Gazza enterprises for this high quality good value product!

yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote