UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » I kinda miss plunger suspension

Old Today, 09:44 AM   #1
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
I kinda miss plunger suspension

I'm currently on with a rethink regig of my bikes set-up and suspension. But there are so many variables, ride height front & back, spring rates, oil level, preload sag, rebound damping, high & low speed compression damping, all balanced between front and rear. It can all be a bit mind boggling, frustrating as well as a bit intimidating. In all plenty of opportunities to make a right pig's ear of it. It made me think back to my days of riding my old 1953 plunger BSA B31, there were no adjustments so you just rode the thing regardless. For those who haven't had the pleasure of plunger suspension, it's a system where the movement of the rear wheel is determined by two opposing set of springs wrestling it out, every bit as bad as it sounds, but also plenty of fun to be had.
The first photo is of the "Urban Gorilla" in despatch trim, as used around London in the late 70s, note the tls front brake, 5.00 x 16 rear wheel, 12v electrics, & black board painted on tank. The second pic is in semi off road trim for a motorcycle gymkhana.

Last edited by Bitza; Today at 10:40 AM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote