UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Rolling refresh - electrical stuff

Old 12-09-2024, 10:28 PM   #1
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000
Rolling refresh - electrical stuff

So whilst waiting for split ring for engine timing shaft seal refitting I’ve been enjoying making some progress on electrics. First I removed a very clunky old Garmin Zumo 660 GPS wiring harness (had loads of wires for hard wired headphones and mic that I never used and all the wires in one cable and hardwired into GPS cradle so you can’t easily ditch them). Now cables are off the bike I’ll try to strip and adapt cable for just power via USB in case I want to use GPS in future. Will be a last resort tho’ as Garmin announced my “lifetime maps” subscription will never be updated again after this month as unit becoming obsolete…

In place of that I have fitted an ultimate addons waterproof phone case (excellent customer service, and decent looking products, will see how it is in use) to the RAM mount the GPS cradle was on. This way I can use phone navigation, going to try a few different apps and see what I like.

To power the phone when needed I also fitted combined voltmeter and twin USB cockpit power supply on handlebars unit has an on/off switch too and voltage reading seems accurate when compared with my multimeter. I did have to snip the too long cables and refit the fuse but not difficult and I used good quality fittings to do it, so should be reliable. Again will see how it does.
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2024, 10:30 PM   #2
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Also took the opportunity to tidy up heated grips wiring which had been installed rather shonkily by a pro with some rather dodgy messy soldering and a bit of now failing electrical tape. To be fair he did install to an ‘only live with ignition on’ feed so no flat butteries over the years (useful these are old grips produced before the fancy auto shut off ones that you can get now). I was not super happy the feed was from rear brake switch as wires look pretty thin and GPS was also powered through this, but I guess it’s a circuit you can do without in a pinch, so that was probably the logic along with only one circuit tapped so less messing with original loom. Anyway they worked fine for many years so I guess he is vindicated and it was entirely reasonable function over form..

For this electrical refresh I fitted a healtech unit to organise my electrical accessories better. It’s wired direct to the battery but is meant to auto switch on and off etc. But there’s also an option to have it triggered on and off by an ignition feed instead, which apparently can be necessary instead of the automatic mode for some bikes and/or in some cases when charging the battery. . Given I was removing an existing ignition feed I took the opportunity to wire this feed up the the healtech. I’ll probably make it switchable when I’ve more time (can plug/unplug bullet connector for now) then I’ve got both options easily eg if I want to leave it automatic except when battery charging through my powerlet socket.

Also gave battery posts and connections a good clean and removed the earth chassis connection to clean and refit it including replacing the damaged powerlet earth contact which also grounds here.

Still to fit a dedicated Keiss heated vest socket to healtech but that’s for another day. Been using the powerlet socket with lead I swapped plug on for DIN plug myself. One drawback was losing the fuse and having to rely on the powerlet fuse which has quite a high fuse rating for battery charging and using my mini travel air compressor. Although I checked this was OK with Keiss, I was never 100% happy with this set up and so prefer to install and use the original (lower fused) lead on a dedicated feed. My thoughts on this were reinforced inspecting my powerlet to Keiss lead and finding it has partly melted on the exhaust due to me having made it a little longer than strictly ideal to enable getting on and off the bike without violently unplugging myself.
Old 12-09-2024, 10:33 PM   #3
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Got to say I quite enjoyed this, slow but steady progress and quite satisfying organising it all neatly. More fun than the oil leak/new seal job anyway! Only annoyance was forgetting to slide heat shrink on before fitting terminals (twice!). So extra crimping practice was had…

Will have to wait until bike back on road to test out new navigation and check all is reliable. But so far so good…
Old 13-09-2024, 08:26 AM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I also found ultimate add ons excellent over the years.
I settled on co pilot gps app on iphone and bought ‘europe’ and, later ‘africa’ maps, although you can settle for smaller regions such as just ‘western europe’
my biggest problem was not turning off cellular data for map updates, which left me dowloading gigs of maps over a slow connection while i should have been travelling, lesson learned rtfm!”
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2024, 01:11 PM   #5
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Hi Rob, good to know you also find Ultimate addons kit good. Obviously no long term test yet for me, but I was very impressed with customer service (lady even found staff member with same model phone as me to test which case and inserts would work best for me) and product looks solid, so encouraging so far.

Not heard of Co-pilot app, I’ll check it out. For fun rides/planning I am also checking out Go Ride and Calimoto based on other recommendations. Plus Waze is very good when you just want to get somewhere fast/direct (rather than a nice planned route) as excellent avoidances and accident/camera alerts etc
Old 13-09-2024, 06:19 PM   #6
slob

I lost a week old iphone4 in UAO tough case in between Buggenhout and Moerzeke years back, I hadn’t clipped it in properly and it wasn’t on a lanyard or charging cable. I was overtaking the convoy after blocking a roundabout so ‘making good progress’. At the next lights JP said ‘something came off your bike’ and crust said ‘it bounced over my head’, while we were looking for it on the verge a Dutch guy stopped and said ‘your satnav landed about 300m that way’. When we found it the case was trashed but the phone was mint :-)

co pilot allows different vehicle profiles, which is nice. I have a bike profile that avoids motorways and towns and a car profile that prefers motorways.

Last edited by slob; 13-09-2024 at 06:23 PM..
Old 14-09-2024, 10:40 AM   #7
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Wow! That is robust! Tho’ I hope not to test my case quite that thoroughly

Sounds good, gonna download it and look into it. Just got notification Go Ride app is discontinued as of tomorrow shame as it got good reviews and allowed GPX import (it’s by Tom Tom). They have an alternative app now apparently…
Old 16-09-2024, 09:07 AM   #8
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Last year i started to look at similar wiring install for heated gloves / vest but then came across an article that suggested my Monster already came pre-fitted from factory with an ignition live aux feed under the tank. Intended for heated grips apparently. All i had to do was buy the opposing connection piece and run the wire. Happy days.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2024, 12:26 PM   #9
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
Last year i started to look at similar wiring install for heated gloves / vest but then came across an article that suggested my Monster already came pre-fitted from factory with an ignition live aux feed under the tank. Intended for heated grips apparently. All i had to do was buy the opposing connection piece and run the wire. Happy days.
here you go dunf (this was a 2017R rather than an S)
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58318
Old 17-09-2024, 09:54 AM   #10
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
here you go dunf (this was a 2017R rather than an S)
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58318
thats the one!
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2024, 01:33 PM   #11
yellowfever
Bronze Member

That’s neat , no such option on my S2R sadly. There’s apparently an unused always live berth in the fuse box on my bike that can be wired up and used eg for battery charging. But as I installed an excellent bespoke for my model powerlet socket direct to battery and chassis earth many years ago I’ve never bothered to use this spare fuse box berth. As it’s always live I prefer an ignition live feed instead for same reasons as you.