UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S2R 1000 clutch?

Old 25-08-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
S2R 1000 clutch?

Hi all, a pretty straight forward one this time. I have an S2R 1000 dry clutch ali basket, starting to slip so looking to replace the friction plates, any recommendatioAns? brands to avoid?
At present (starting with the inner most plate) I have two plain plates followed by friction/plain and ending in plain, giving a total of nine plain, seven friction plates. I'm thinking that the double plain is to make up the space of warn friction plates.?
Old 25-08-2024, 09:26 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I fitted Newfren to both of my bikes, had no issues whatsoever and very reasonably priced.

The Monster is on it's original clutch (in my ownership) in 20-odd thousand miles and still going as good as ever.

FWIW, I don't bother with dished plates and by mixing/matching 2mm and 1.5mm plain plates, I can get an extra friction plate in there which gives more friction material for longer life/stronger clutch.

The 2 plain plates at the start is how Ducati do it but I just use the one (make sure it's a 2mm) and this helps get the extra friction plate in.

Also I set the pack thickness a mm or so less than the 38mm recommended so that neutral selection is easy, best way to establish this is reduce the thickness until you can spin the clutch by hand (obviously engine not running! ) and, when you release it, it will spin on a little. If it stops immediately then neutral will be tricky to select whilst stationary

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 09:43 AM   #3
Bitza
Silver Member

Well BOSH, that's exactly the kind of answer I prayed for, and so quick too, thank you Dukedesmo.
Old 25-08-2024, 09:48 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Yes double plain at the bottom is standard.
You'll probably also have a dished plain plate which can be either the top one of the double pair or the next one up. I don't think it makes any difference which way up it is?
I assume it's purpose is to help lift the pack when you pull the clutch in?
The slip could be caused by dust or other contaminant, so a little bath in clutch and brake cleaner won't do any harm anyway and might just stave off buying new plates.

I always give mine a bath at least once a year and give the drum grooves a coat of graphite in the form of Grate Polish which is basically Graphite. I put it on with a toothbrush and then polish any excess off with a cloth. Seems to quieten and smooth the clutch for a few miles anyway.

As DD also mentions the thickness of the whole plate stack (Stack Hight) is critical @ 38mm or a smidgen less.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #5
Bitza
Silver Member

Well my Newfren friction plates have arrived, main difference from std plates seems to be the thickness of the tangs/ears, being thinner may lead to more wear?
With new plates I get a stack height of 39.5mm, but appears to operate fine, both via the manual spin test and with engine running for selecting neutral. Haven't been for a ride yet as its pissing it.
Lastly all my plain plates are 2mm except the dished 1.5mm plate. Where can you get 1.5 mm plates?
Old 06-09-2024, 08:05 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
All the standard plates are 2mm thick, as you say the dished plates are 1.5mm but they do make 1.5mm flat plates, I think they were originally used in race bikes with the sintered clutch packs? These had thinner and therefore more plates to be able to handle more power.

They are available from Ducati and other online sellers, e.g. https://desmoheart.com/products/dfl0...n-plate-1-5-mm though I would advise you check it's a flat plate, not a dished one.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote