UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » S2r 1000 tyre recommendations please?

Old 29-08-2024, 05:27 PM   #1
alastairS2R

Bike: S2r 1000
S2r 1000 tyre recommendations please?

I've had a set to Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 2 on for a while [8000+ miles].
All good for me. I'm looking for distance more than performance. "Performance" tyre would be a waste given my mostly ponderous riding.
All or any advice and guidance gratefully received. Cheers
alastairS2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 10:14 PM   #2
yellowfever
Bronze Member

I’ve used Michelin pilot roads for many years. I’ve generally found them decent and they seem to last well tho’ a rear puncture has made it hard to be certain. Your own 8k with Dunlop’s sounds a decent lifespan tbh (for reference I got 10.5k from pilot road 2 front and 6k from rear when rear puncture intervened and I swapped both. Rear still had plenty of tread at that point but they do tend to wear faster than front I think, so doubt I would have got to 10k with them).

I put the latest pilot Road 6’s on last Autumn and initially found them a bit twitchy tbh but that was probably adjusting from squared off old tyres as I do a lot of motorway miles travelling to see gf! I like them now I’m used to them. They are reassuring in the wet and the dual compound is meant to make them last well, we shall see.

However, I’ve not used other brands for many years so who knows if there are better out there as I have no recent experience with other brands to compare with. I’ve used Dunlop's ages ago and was happy with them too!

Probably any sport touring tyre offering from a name manufacturer like Continental, Dunlop, Metzler etc, would be similarly good (or better) so long as you choose the versions designed for bikes with the the S2R’s weight (ie avoid the GT versions meant for heavier full on touring bikes).

I stuck with Michelins partly for familiarity, partly as I got a decent deal and partly as I live in Belgium so Michelin is an easy brand to find anywhere around here (eg if I get a puncture and need a matching tyre in a hurry).

So I’d suggest pick a standard sports touring option from a name brand that’s readily available in your area with a decent price. Going for the version a generation or two back can save money and you’re not likely to notice much difference tbh (my gf recently put pilot road 4’s on her bike as she got offered a super deal and she’s happy with them),
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 11:06 PM   #3
alastairS2R

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have a look at the Michelin pilot roads.

What tyres did the S2r come with originally?
Old 30-08-2024, 08:06 AM   #4
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Had mine from new but honestly don’t remember now what tyres it came with originally at this remove … maybe Pirelli’s? I think Ducati have used Pirelli as OE for various models over the years…

But after all these years I doubt the OE designation really means much given how much tyres have developed in the interim - the latest version of whatever the OE tyre was nearly 20 years ago is going to be quite different to the original OE version given how tyre technology has developed.

So I’d just go with what’s readily available at a good price from a name brand. If you’ve been happy with Dunlops why not get the roadsmart IV? (Or early generation for less money). They were on my possibles list but I could get a better deal on the Michelins which are a more popular tyre brand out here…
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
IIRC Pirelli Diablo were the OEM

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #6
Tipusss

Bike: S4Rs
I had Rosso IIIs on all my bikes, but then tried Road 5s and they feel a lot better for everyday riding and especially in the wet. My next tyre will surely be the Road 6s
Tipusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 12:15 PM   #7
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Mine came originally with Michelin so that's what will go on it when they get changed.Have always liked Michelin tyres over the years
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2024, 12:50 PM   #8
yourguitarhero

Bike: S2r
Pilot Road 4 or maybe 5? on my S2R.

They have more grip than I have skill and seem to be lasting well. Not sure what else I can ask for from a road tyre..
yourguitarhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #9
alastairS2R

Thanks for the posts. I got a front puncher last week, first in a long time but it forced the issue of replacing the tyres. Went to Wheelhouse Tyres near Birmingham and got the latest version of the previous Dunlop, a set of Sportmax Roadsmart 4.

I looked back at the old receipts I've got and the original tyres only did 4000 miles so whatever they were, they were too soft for me.