UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Lost a silencer!

Old 10-08-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Lost a silencer!

Yesterday I was out on my M750 and for once the sun was shining, the bike was running great. I was on quiet twisty B roads / country lanes where it's crazy to exceed the speed limit and all was well with the world (briefly anyway!)

Suddenly the exhaust note increased and I wondered if a dislodged ear plug was the cause...but no the wind noise was the same. (I have to wear ear plugs due to tinnitus.)

In hindsight I should have stopped straightaway to investigate the cause but I chose to ride on thinking the exhaust system had developed a leak at one of the joints...but no hen I stopped at some traffic lights a few miles later I was shocked to find the right hand silencer had disappeared.

My bike was fitted with a pair of standard cans off a 620i and I'm now left with the dilemma of how best to replace the missing right hand one. I know I could buy a pair and may still do but I want to avoid buying one and a mismatch with the one that's still in the bike.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Yikes, that's a significant chunk of bike to lose

I once lost the sidestand off a bike, didn't know it was missing until I got home and I had the RH silencer fall off a Capri 3L once but I felt (and saw in my rear view mirror) it so stopped and retrieved it.

But, given that many Monsters have had the cans replaced with aftermarket, you would think there might be a reasonable supply of unwanted cans available at a reasonable price...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 09:57 AM   #3
motomartin11

Yes there's plenty of used reasonably priced used cans about. Just waiting for people to come back to me about questions / offers I've made on Fleabay.

My nearest similar experience was when an after market silencer dropped off a Zephyr 1100 i used to own. Never did find that one either. I should have said I went back yesterday twice - by car and another bike but I couldn't find it. I even walked the dog down the lanes without a trace of the can.
Old 10-08-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I replied on ebay Martin but like I said I have a matched pair of late 07 IE standard cans stamped Remus; earlier ones were by Lafranconi and Termignoni iirc which in addition to changing EU regs would go some way to explain the myriad of part numbers over the years.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 06:38 PM   #5
slob

wash your bike regularly, you’ll find a loose part before it says bye bye on the road!

pretty sure i’ll have a stock set of 620 cans in the shed, yours for the postage or free if you can collect from east london
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 06:58 PM   #6
motomartin11

Thanks both.

I'm happy to pay postage of course Slob. Very many thanks for your kind offer.

Martin.

And yes I should be more attentive to my bike. I'm usually all over it-just don't expect to lose an exhaust can-in my experience that mostly happens on old vibratory Brit bikes!
Old 11-08-2024, 07:36 AM   #7
motomartin11

PM sent to Slob.
Old 22-08-2024, 11:22 AM   #8
motomartin11

I've now sorted a pair of FOC replacements kindly donated by Slob (thanks again).
But yesterday I decided to re-visit the area where the can dropped off and if by magic it had appeared on the roadside / grass verge. I returned home (about 10 miles) as I was on another bike, got my bungees and a protective cloth wrapper and managed to secure the recalcitrant exhaust can to my other bike and get back home. Unfortunately the mounting bracket is bent in half and the silencer is covered in marks and scratches as well as some misalignment of the various sections where I fear the exhaust gasses will escape from.
Old 22-08-2024, 01:10 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Garage ornament? Although I did see this one for sale and wondered if it might be the one you lost?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276588508...mis&media=COPY

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #10
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Garage ornament? Although I did see this one for sale and wondered if it might be the one you lost?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276588508...mis&media=COPY
Well mine's as battered as that one if not more!
Old 03-09-2024, 07:29 AM   #11
motomartin11

New set of cans arrived last week courtesy of Slob. I've now got to get my mate to fettle the can / exhaust interface which will then hopefully see the bike back on the road -just before the winter season arrives .In the meantime I've just bought a 1959 Royal Enfield Crusader - the last one I owned was in the hot summer of '76 when I paid £50 for it off a schoolmate IIRC and used it as a second (back up) bike.