UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M1000ds running hot.

Old 19-08-2024, 04:11 PM   #1
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
M1000ds running hot.

Hi all, now if you enjoy a puzzle this might be for you. I have a S2R1000 engine fitted to my bike with just about everything non - standard, and for a whole lot of reasons I have not had the ecu remapped. Well would you believe it but it runs hot, generally not a problem providing I keep on the move. But during the recent hot weather it just gets too hot. It could well be a fueling issue, but if
anything it seems to run rich, I could fit a larger oil cooler. But I have a hunch that it's the ignition that's too retarded. Two possibilities I can think of, first if a DS engine runs on one spark it will inevitably retard the ignition. Secondly the ignition is actually retarded, possibly due to crank position sensor issue. Question is it possible to have the sensor giving an inaccurate reading? All suggestions will be of interest.
Old 19-08-2024, 05:38 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The air cooled twins are very tolerant of running a bit hotter. Cooler not so good as the oil doesn't boil off the moisture and you get mayo in the oil!

It's obviously going to run hotter in this weather, but do you have a temperature gauge?
If not I can lend you mine which just screws into the oil filler hole in the crankcase.
It's very tricky to read on the move and I don't recommend trying! Just pull over and check it every 10 miles to get an idea.
Old 19-08-2024, 06:00 PM   #3
Bitza
Silver Member

Well thanks for the offer of lending me your temp gauge, but the one thing I'm sure of is it is running hot. Just trying to work out why. The retarded ignition is just a hunch, so I'm trying to figure out how that might be caused, while using a standard 1000ds ecu. The only way I could think of is if the ecu had false data of the crank position. Could I have miss matched sensor components for instance? I'm just looking for some kind of inspiration or insight.
Old 19-08-2024, 06:08 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You're still welcome to borrow the gauge. If you put some numbers on it, it might turn out to be within range of the normal temperature?

I don't think it's possible to influence the timing mechanically? But all I know about the CPS is that it needs to be gapped with shims to a tolerance from the pully inside the case. I wouldn't have thought that would alter the timing though?
Old 19-08-2024, 11:42 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Idk if ignition timing would cause a heat issue but my S4 always ran super hot until I fitted an oil cooler from an S4R then straightaway 10,% cooler. I love mods that work!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
You say it is running rich but is that all speeds, could it be running lean on the go at higher RPMs?

Many years back, I left my 916 idling in the garage to warm it up before changing the oil and when I came to it, the rear exhaust manifold was glowing orange.

During the service, I checked the fuelling and it was running well lean at idle - turned up the fuelling and no more glow.

Otherwise, you say not remapped but what ECU/Eprom is it running with - S2R or DS?

Obviously the ECU controls both the fuelling and the ignition so could be either. I doubt the crank sensor could give a wrong reading, I would think it's (probably) not adjustable like on the old carbie Monsters? and if it was failing, I'd expect an intermittent reading rather than retarded.

Have you got a timing/strobe gun? sometimes old-school tools are useful.

Definitely worthwhile getting it remapped, I'd recommend CJS racing near Bristol, did a great job on my 916.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2024, 09:02 AM   #7
Bitza
Silver Member

Well you're probably right about getting the ecu remapped. I always intended to get it done, but because I'm forever fiddling with bits I've put it off. I run it on an SS1000 DP map, and generally it's OK. Bit lumpy low down (high gearing & - 1kg flywheel), but when wound up it goes some. The Yamaha fuel pump is on a non-return set up, and the relief valve is rated the same as the Ducati one, but in practice it has raised the working pressure. To counter this I trimmed the ecu setting down a bit, trimming is of course right across the whole range. Plainly the over heating issue is of my own making. So I better bite the bullet and go for a remap.