UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignitech TCIP4 issues

Old 04-08-2024, 01:02 PM   #1
RichardDDuke

Bike: Other Ducati
Ignitech TCIP4 issues

I'm after advice as to what to try with the TCIP4 unit that I've fitted on my 900/944 engine and it runs .... just not smoothly and it pops and bangs.

It's the first time the engine has run after the rebuild, so I wasn't expecting a miracle first time round, but it just doesn't run right.

We've tried using the old ICUs and it seemded to run more smoothly ... still a bit rough, but carbs needs balancing (and possibly rejetting ).

I've still got my original coils and ICUs so those are available to try and get a datum set up to compare against.

So ...
Would reflashing the unit be worthwhile trying, and are there any known gotchas with these units

Any advice would be gratefully received.
RichardDDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:42 PM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Unlikely to be the same problem but when I first fitted mine, it ran like crap.

I took it to a nearby bike shop (SPR, Ruddington) with a dyno and it was popping and farting and just not running cleanly, struggling to make 70hp and just didn't sound right.

The guy at the dyno disconnected the Ignitech and plugged in a spare Ducati ignition that he had and it immediately ran much better.

Turns out the laptop I had used to program the Ignitech had somehow corrupted the file. I switched to another, reloaded the file and it was immediately better.

With the new setup and a couple of jets swapped in the carbs it made a more respectable 91hp and pulled cleanly.

That same laptop never did work properly on the Ignitech which was a shame because it was a small, convenient size.

Anyway, after getting it running I always felt the throttle response was very on/off, intermittently at low revs and, watching the Ignitech program whilst running it showed the advance varying erratically.

I did end up re-routing the pickup cables as I think they may have been picking up interference from the HT leads but I still didn't like the transition between advance steps based on RPM only as I think the irregular firing pulses make the RPM reading fluctuate so much that the unit was jumping the timing at and around idle speeds.

Fitting a TPS and incorporating that into the map made things much smoother, it's still very on/off but it's now only on when I want it to be.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote