UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Best forks to swap on my S2R 800?

Old 13-06-2024, 04:24 PM   #16
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Read again Darren, I was suggesting rebuild existing rather than through money at it

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 04:30 PM   #17
slob

the sliding pin calipers on s2r800, coupled with 300mm discs, aren’t great compared with goldline/320mm discs, but they’re adequate and a world apart from the wooden things we used to get on 70s/80s jap bikes.

the secret of ebay upgrades is don’t be in a hurry and wait for what you’re looking for to come along at the right price. as kato says: if it says ‘aprilia’ rather than ‘ducati’ you’ll probably get the same kit at half the price.

Last edited by slob; 13-06-2024 at 04:32 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 04:32 PM   #18
Kato
Dismantled

Best solution so far seems to be the Andreani Miasano

Old 13-06-2024, 04:37 PM   #19
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
a world apart from the wooden things we used to get on 70s/80s jap bikes.
I remember those Rob grab a handfull of brake and hope /wish /pray that today they work properly

Old 13-06-2024, 04:51 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Read again Darren, I was suggesting rebuild existing rather than through money at it
I know, I was over simplifying i know, but it does'nt seem to be the wrong answer per se just not the right answer within an unspecified limited budget. I know the Andreani kit is supposed to be real good but at 600 I'm just offering the guy a chance to get some nice S4R forks for reasonable amount; what he does with them after that is up to him but Andreani wb my recomend.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage

Last edited by Darren69; 13-06-2024 at 04:54 PM..
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #21
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
I remember those Rob grab a handfull of brake and hope /wish /pray that today they work properly
On the positive side the lack of friction meant the disks lasted for ever. Honda 500/4's had the disk made out of never rust or wear material. I was seriously wiped out by a car in pompey with the front end was a pile of bits barely attached to the rest of the bike, what remained of the front end was fixed to the car by the disc that had gone halfway through the B pillar. Honestly the disc didn't look bent or scratched.
That one did hurt a bit
Old 14-06-2024, 10:50 AM   #22
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I know, I was over simplifying i know, but it does'nt seem to be the wrong answer per se just not the right answer within an unspecified limited budget. I know the Andreani kit is supposed to be real good but at 600 I'm just offering the guy a chance to get some nice S4R forks for reasonable amount; what he does with them after that is up to him but Andreani wb my recomend.
Too simple but the caliper mounts on the sliders do come off, whats the size difference? I seem to remember the diameters are different.
Old 14-06-2024, 06:12 PM   #23
Dave G
Imagineer

OE discs were 300mm with no offset, a matching set of goldlines and 320mm/10mm offset discs will bolt straight on. 65mm spacing for the caliper bolts
Aprilia calipers and discs could be used, colour being the main difference.
Old 16-06-2024, 03:21 AM   #24
yourguitarhero

Thanks for all this info, lots to take in!

Main issue with my forks is constant weeping from seals that can't seem to be fixed.

Figured it would be easier to replace the forks with other second hand ones, and if they have some adjustability/ better performance then that would be nice! Hence my interest in the s4r ones ��
yourguitarhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #25
slob

iIf the chrome on the legs is scratched or very worn, you’ll never stop them leaking.
s4r forks should be a straight swap but will likely be oversprung for the average rider, since s4r is about 20kg heavier than s2r.
The adjustability on the showas isn’t great though.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 02:51 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
M900Sie, M1000Sie or S2R1000 forks should be more in the ball park for spring rate.
I have 95Nm springs in my M900Sie apparently and they work fine.

MCT put EXP 15 fork oil in at the major service. Darren said that would give the damping mechanism something to work with. I've been able to adjust them a few clicks to get them sweet since then. No complaints, even on the Norfolk/Suffolk B roads I frequent, the Fens are in a different league of pot holes though!!

Nothing you going to be able to buy second hand is going to be perfect out of the box.
It'll pay to have them serviced from the word go and go from there.

https://www.mctsuspension.uk/ Showa service with new seals and oil approx £150.
Old 16-06-2024, 03:26 PM   #27
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It maybe true 'cos the S4 bikes are 20kg or so heavier than the M1000 or S2 but I don't know if they were resprung because of this. I couldn't say and the adjustment is a bit crude but it does work and unless you can ante up for the Andreani kit or Maxton job then that's the best you can expect from them and they're ok tbh just dont expect to feel the difference of every click.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage

Last edited by Darren69; 16-06-2024 at 03:28 PM..
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 03:49 PM   #28
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
M900Sie, M1000Sie or S2R1000 forks should be more in the ball park for spring rate.
I have 95Nm springs in my M900Sie apparently and they work fine.
I'm surprised if they are 95n?

I have 916 Showa forks in my M900 and when I fitted them they had 95n springs but were way too hard, I swapped them for 90 and they are now much much better and I'll wager I'm a fair bit heavier than you.

That said, different forks/valving etc. may make the difference?

To reply to the OP, I can testify that 916 forks work very well and are adjustable etc. but are not a straight swap as the tubes are a different size to a Monster (at least old Monster) meaning, you need to bore the top yoke and shim the bottom.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 09:02 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Oops! Sorry it's the rear Ohlins that has a 95nm spring.
I misread MCT's report. It just says "std" for the fork springs, so I'm non the wiser.