UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Oil Change

Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Perryl

Question Oil Change

I am doing my own servicing on my S4r, now.

I don't think that anyone has ever cleaned out the oil mesh filter before - and I have had the bike from new, in 2005!

Question: I've taken the outer plug off and the small bolt that goes into the thread from below. So, I can see the filter but I can't remove it. It looks like the same hex socket fits it as the outer plug but it is in tight. The manual is not helpful and I don't want to force things. Has anyone done this before? Do I use the hex socket to put in a good anti-clockwise force? So, it is screwed in? I thought that the bottom bolt was just to hold it in position.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The little allen bolt below doesn’t need to come out, it’s just a blanking plug at the end of an oilway drilling. Once you’ve removed the end cap, the pre-filter screen comes out using a very large allen key or hex car drainplug wrench (I think 14mm from memory). Turn anti-clockwise to remove. Yes they are often very tight, be careful: when it goes, it’s easy to skin your knuckles etc. Ideally use a new crush washer for the end cap, you just need to nip up the pre-filter screen and be careful not to overtighten the end cap.

Last edited by slob; 05-12-2017 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: link added
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This may or may not be important but just so you know, the washer for the gauze filter (85250051A) has a flat side and a tapered side. The flat side should go against the engine case.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Perryl

Yes, it is 14mm, and, yes, it's in there tight. I can safely put on a lot of torque but I wanted to check it was right to unscrew it. I've got the official manual, but it just says 'release and withdraw the filter'. Not unscrew it.

I am at Riders tomorrow and so I'll get a new washer. I didn't notice that it was different on the sides, so thanks for that. I'v got the correct toque values in the manual for re-assembly.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Perryl

Thumbs up All Done.

All finished. The filter was quite clean, so maybe it has been cleaned before - or the engine is pretty good for 18,000 miles.

Got the belts to do on my ST2, next. It has got a strange 'won't start' problem. I would like to talk about my ST3, as well. But I won't! I take it that it is just Monsters here.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The ST is pretty much a monster with a fairing, I have an ST3 as well as the ‘everyday’ bike as I like the convenience of a top box.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, filter, mesh, oil