UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My Monster 600 Project

Old 30-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Stephenniall

9.5 cfm will struggle with most full size guns. It wouldn't run any of the guns I use but might run some of the smaller Clarke guns or cheaper brands, I'd avoid any like that and buy one of these: https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/a-...-spraygun.html

I've got no affiliation with sprayguns direct, however I bought one of them guns two weeks ago for little blow-ins and painting like bits like fuel filler covers at work and have been really surprised with it, it sprays excellently, it does feel a bit cheap, but they do another gun which is similar but has a better finish and is supposed to spray even better, it is £50 extra though.

If you're using 2k products make sure you buy a top quality respirator, (I use a 3M 06782, and know many professionals who use them daily) I use an air fed mask when I'm spraying in a proper spray booth but if you don't have that privilege a cartridge respirator will suffice.

Also make sure you have decent water traps on your compressor, and you drain all the water out of the tanks before spraying, any water in the airline will cause micro-blistering underneath your paint, and the only real way to fix that is to bare metal the paint.
Old 30-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenniall View Post
9.5 cfm will struggle with most full size guns.
Ah well! At least I might struggle a bit less than I have done with my home made set up over the years. It uses a lorry air brake tank and a very small compressor...I don't know what cfm but I have to wait for it to catch up.
I did several bike tanks with that and also the entire bodywork of a heavyweight Ajay as well as various fairings and stuff.
My first spraygun is a Bodyline and seems to be a Devibliss copy or badge engineered version...It's always served me well.
One of those touch up guns might be just the thing for the stripes and badges. I bought a nasty one from China for about 99p to use on model planes, but I think it's rubbish really.
I also have a really cheap gravity gun which does a nice enough job, but uses an awful lot of air.
Those LVLP guns are a pretty penny so I will just be waiting for air, hopefully not so long as before...