UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Greetings from Cheshire.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
Luxexterior

Greetings from Cheshire.

Hi. Monster newbie here. I bought my M900 ie at the beginning of April & registered here around the same time but have been out on the Monster so much I've not had time to post. This is the third Ducati I've owned the two previous being bevels (GT & SS) many moons ago. I also currently own a Guzzi.

I'm loving the Monster, it must be addictive I keep finding excuses to go for another ride, the power & handling are both first class & the fit & finish is a whole lot better than the older Duc's. I've got used to the clutch noise & low snatchiness now but they were bit of a shock, I'm still on standard silencers so a pair of after market pipes are probably in order to drown out the clutch noise.

Also enjoying this forum, it's a mine of information. Maybe bump into you fellow Monster owners out in the wild north west sometime.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
iMOC

Welcome Luxexterior

Any pics of this new M900 - we always like pics
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome aboard!
I like a Guzzi myself, with a Centauro and Griso in the garage next to my monsters.
Which Guzzi are you riding?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome from another 900ie owner.

I'd love to see some pictures of your Bevels...750 GT in Orange over Black is my favoritest bike ever that I've never owned...Interesting to read your comparative comments.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Moco1961

Welome

Welcome on board, if the monsoon season ever ends in the north west it would be good to meet up !
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Luxexterior

Thanks for the welcome.

iMOC - I have tried to add pics of the Monster but couldn't work out how to do it. I will have another try. My Monster is the 2002 version of the ie, bog standard trim in a rather fetching dark metallic blue, I wanted red but I really like the met blue. It's a one owner, FSH, low mileage bike & I count myself lucky to have stumbled across it.

Grumpy - My Guzzi is a T3'd Spada, so another big V twin but very different to the Monster. If I could work out how to add pics I'd post one of the Guzzi. The Centauro & Griso are both cracking bikes. The Centauro is also much underrated.

Mr Gazza - Sorry no pics of the bevels I owned them back in the eighties so only some faded Polaroids to tell the tale. The GT was actually a 860GT (modded with big carbs & Conti's etc) not the rather nicer 750. The SS was one of the last proper SS's in Silver & Blue, oh! how I wish I'd kept hold it & the GT for that matter. In terms of comparisons between the bevels & the Monster, the fit & finish is light years better on the Monster. Performance & ride wise its kind of the same but different; Monster is more civilized, more comfortable & (this might be controversial) I think handles better than either of the bevels I've owned but then you have to factor in that the bevels were as good as it got handling wise for big bikes in their day & the advances in design since. Performance is interesting the Monster feels quicker to me but has similar roll on power characteristics of the older bikes. All three can/could put a huge smile on your face though to a greater degree than any other bike I've owned.

Moco1961 - Yes when the deluge subsides it would be great to meet up. Is there a North West venue/meeting place for local Monster riders? I have only spotted a couple of Monsters in these parts recently but maybe I have been paying attention.

Last edited by Luxexterior; 12-07-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Very interesting..

Isn't it funny how we put certain motorbikes on a pedestal and choose to ignore the fact that time moves on and things improve...I've always wanted to own a 750GT, ever since I saw and heard my first one in about 1976.

I came close in the mid 90's when I test rode one for sale in Milton Keynes.
I was really blown away by the strong way it pulled so smoothly and revved so freely.
Completely different to all the parallel twins I was used to and I just loved flicking it through all the roundabouts..What a quantum leap.!

Sadly this one had some selector shaft problems and I could not find fourth gear, no matter how I tried. I knew it would be an expensive fix, so I left it....What a pillock?

In the back of my mind, my Monsters and other Ducati have been 750GT substitues, but it is so wrong to think of them as so.
Your comparisons confirm what others have said, that a Monster is better in all respects.
My M900Sie is my favorite bike that I've ever owned...I don't so much put it on a pedestal, as keep it in my garage...Ready for action and grins at any time...

860GT is an interesting one. Probably an improvement even on the 750,but the looks don't do it for everyone?
Even so, behind those square cases beats a true Ducati heart. A little bit of imagination can turn them into something drop dead gorgeous...I wouldn't turn one down...
Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Luxexterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Very interesting..

Isn't it funny how we put certain motorbikes on a pedestal and choose to ignore the fact that time moves on and things improve...I've always wanted to own a 750GT, ever since I saw and heard my first one in about 1976.

I came close in the mid 90's when I test rode one for sale in Milton Keynes.
I was really blown away by the strong way it pulled so smoothly and revved so freely.
Completely different to all the parallel twins I was used to and I just loved flicking it through all the roundabouts..What a quantum leap.!

Sadly this one had some selector shaft problems and I could not find fourth gear, no matter how I tried. I knew it would be an expensive fix, so I left it....What a pillock?

In the back of my mind, my Monsters and other Ducati have been 750GT substitues, but it is so wrong to think of them as so.

Your comparisons confirm what others have said, that a Monster is better in all respects.
My M900Sie is my favorite bike that I've ever owned...I don't so much put it on a pedestal, as keep it in my garage...Ready for action and grins at any time...

860GT is an interesting one. Probably an improvement even on the 750,but the looks don't do it for everyone?
Even so, behind those square cases beats a true Ducati heart. A little bit of imagination can turn them into something drop dead gorgeous...I wouldn't turn one down...
I can beat you in the 750GT pillock stakes. Circa 1984 I looked at a 750GT with the intention of buying. It rode exactly as you describe but had no mechanical issue. It wasn't standard though, the previous owner had had the frame nickle plated at some point & this was starting to rust in places & semi cafe race it with a big Imola type tank & single seat, all the original parts were included but were in need of a lick of paint. I walked away because I couldn't get the price down. The price? £500 not a lot even in 1984, what a pillock indeed. Went back the following day not surprisingly it was sold.

The 860GT/GTS's were underrated bikes but you're right the looks weren't everyone's cup of tea.

I agree with everything you say about the 900ie, great bike.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Hi there and welcome, glad you're enjoying the bike.
Old 18-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
wattie7

Smile

Hi there, new 821 stripe owner in Hartford. Glad to hear all going well with your bike. I am new to the world of Ducati but i am learning fast...
Old 19-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome along.

My monster ownership also results from an earlier lusting after the bevels.
In particular, a 750GT and 750S, arriving late to the 1975 Dragon Rally, came thundering down into Betws-y-Coed, exhaust notes reverberating off the heavily wooded hills around, and stole my heart.
Back then they were expensive, with dodgy electrics and a poor finish (and tbh, although its iconic, I was never a fan of the power-sapping bevel gears).
Then family stuff took over and it was 25yrs before I got to own a Ducati.
They made the 750 monster especially for me, you know.
Mine is in the same, rather fetching, dark metallic blue.
Without question, it will be mine forever ....Its our 10th anniversary in a couple of weeks.

Hope you enjoy your 900 just as much.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote