UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Weird noise when hot 1100 evo

Old 24-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
goalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezrvf View Post
The service manager did say the belts are resonating which is causing a noise but after around 1000 miles it will be gone.

More than anything it is completely annoying.
Glad i just spotted this post as i thought i was going mad....

I have a 2 month old 1100Evo and it makes that exact same sound as in your video. I took it back to the dealer and they said they all make that noise - when I pointed out that my previous Evo never made a sound anything like it they said that my previous one must have had a fault!! I plan on taking it to another dealer this weekend to see what they say.

Most of my riding is in central London so it always runs into 4 or 5 bars, but last night I went down to Hampshire and coming back on the M3 it was running at 2-3 bars. As soon as I stopped at the first set of lights I could hear the noise, so it doesn't appear to be heat related on mine.

How is yours now, is it still making the noise now you have more miles on it?
Old 25-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
wezrvf

hi mate. I have probably done around 600 miles since my last service and like the other chap who has this, the noise is still there slightly but at higher temps. I have not had any mechanical issues that have come up since the noise as started. It does seem to be going ever so slightly but still there. Ear plugs is my solution at the moment. Cant really report much else other than i have been told it is normal so i guess i will plod on and see what happens.
Old 21-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
I noticed this exact same noise for the first time today. Really hot day at Cadwell Park and I'd just come in from a 20 minute session. The oil temp was showing 5 bars. When you hear it on your own bike for the first time it is quite disturbing. It was enough to make me want to pack it in for the day.

However, after an hour cooling down, I restarted it and it was fine. I took it easy for the next couple of sessions and it didn't come back. Actually enjoyed the sessions more by NOT ragging it as much.

It did come back briefly on the way home too, after having to go through a bit of start stop town traffic and getting 5 bars showing on the display again. After a brief run along some open roads, down to 4 bars and the noise disappeared again.

Just have to live with it I guess, and be a bit understanding when conditions are unusually hot.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #34
TonyG

Hi,

Just wondered if there was any update on this thread. My 1100 makes an odd whirring noise on the overrun, but only when engine is hot. Only noticed it after I had a belt change by a reputable dealer. Took it back and they said it didn't sound like a bearing or anything and to just ride it unless it gets worse. So far it is running very well, and the noise hasn't got any better or worse. Just made the fatal mistake of googling whirring noises and got a bit paranoid.

Thanks
Old 15-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #35
wheelybin

My 696 has this noise when it gets to 4 bars, first time I heard it I thought it was chain noise bouncing back off parked cars I was passing at the time.( A hissing scrapping noise) It soon dissapears once the engine cools slightly, the bikes got 15000 on the clock and a recent oil / filter change showed very clean oil and no signs of metal of any sort. Mind you living in Scotland , its not often it gets warm enough. Would be really interested to hear if anyone gets to the bottom of this ..
Old 15-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #36
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Tony ... In general engineering terms, a whirring noise is often indicative of something being too tight, ie in this case, possibly your new belts.
I'm not saying that's definitely the cause (though its onset, just after new belts were fitted, clearly hints in that direction) but, for peace of mind, I would be inclined to either get the belt tension rechecked (by a different dealer/mechanic) or check them myself.
If doing them myself, I would try to use a good old fashioned mechanical method, rather than rely on the modern, frequency based style of checking.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #37
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As it seems to be the later bikes that have been reported, (M1100/Evo/696 etc) I'm wondering if it could be something inherent in the new engine design? The cam bearings run on plain bearings directly on the cylinder head in those models and not ball/roller bearings like the older bikes? Having said that, a lot of the older bikes have dry clutches which tend to drown out most other noises anyway

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
TonyG

Hi,

I'm going to get them checked out again as you suggest. My first thought was they were too tight when the cylinders and head expanded, but was reassured by the mechanic. However, it's still there after a good thousand miles or so. Only happens when it is on 3 bars for a long time, and doesn't sound too horrible, otherwise going like a dream.

Thanks
Old 19-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #39
TonyG

I took my bike to Baines Racing today and he had a look. He is one of the best people to deal with you can get, proper mechanic, exceptionally helpful, knows Ducatis inside out and let me stand around and pester him while he did the work, so you get a lesson for free. The belts were clearly not tensioned correctly, one was too tight, and just for balance, one was way too loose. Belts were set up, and noise is now much less, I still get a slight whir, but I guess there must be some noise, and I don't think the carbon covers muffle it much. I'll see how it goes. My thanks to Baines Racing, and I think I was undercharged as well.
Old 29-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #40
Malo01

Hi all, I know this is an old discussion but I was wondering if anyone had more info about this whirring noise when hot. Is it something not to be worried about?
Old 29-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #41
Luddite

Hi Malo.

I have an 1100 Evo but have never experienced this noise, either from new or with replacement belts. However, I do remember reading about this phenomenon on a German website back in 2014 and it seems that this problem is quite well-known although it doesn't affect every bike.

It seems that this German owner had the cambelt noise at 4 bars on the temperature gauge and reported it to his dealer. Belts and rollers were changed to no effect.

After referring the matter back to Ducati Germany, it transpired that Ducati were aware of this problem and that there was an internal workshop bulletin to deal with it.

According to the service manual, the tension of new belts should be set to 140Hz and used belts should be 100Hz. The lower limit when the belts should be readjusted is given as 70Hz.

The internal workshop instruction told dealers to set the tension to the lower limit of 70Hz in cases of noisy cambelts. This reduced tension apparently eliminates or considerably reduces the noise.

Ducati never revealed the cause of the noise, or even whether they actually discovered what it was.

So this is a known problem at Ducati, although it only affects a small minority of bikes. It seems that it's an annoying problem rather than a damaging one so shouldn't be anything to worry about and your dealer should be able to do something to reduce the noise if it's bothering you.

Hope that helps and you continue to enjoy your Evo.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #42
Malo01

Hi Luddite, I couldn't ask for a better explanation, thank you!

I will see what they tell me about it when I will take to the dealer for some other works, at the end, I believe that these engines are famous for making loads of noises and vibrations so they are somehow to be accepted.

Yes, mine too only makes the noise when the temperature goes up high but nothing at normal.

Will post what they tell me there at Ducati!

S
Old 29-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #43
Cobra88

Belts are too tight

Mine makes a terrible noise if they are slightly too tight
I now tension my new belts when hot and no more problems

Fit and tension new belts as per normal then run bike till i get 4 bars on the temp gauge
Then i retension to spec when hot (85hz) not 110hz as read somwhere

I think some manuals say 140hz (as luddite pointed out) but i think thats been noted as a missprint like the torque setting for the evo sump plug in some early manual revisions (should be 20nm) i think

Last edited by Cobra88; 29-07-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 29-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #44
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It sounds as if its a heat expansion issue that is tightening the belts. I know from experience that the old 900SS air cooled motors used to expand and snap the head bolts especially the rear exhaust side, so there is a bit of movement going on when they get hot! A slow and gentle warm up is always better.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #45
Tim88

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I have always had new belts fitted to my M696 and later my M1100evo while the engine was still warm from riding to the dealer. Could the tension be being set too high if set when the engine is cold? I know that valve clearances should be checked on a cold engine but not sure what the recommendation is for belt change and tension on new and old belts.Very interesting reply from Luddite btw.
Tim
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote