UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi... M900 in East Anglia

Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Monster clutches are know to be swine to bleed sometimes.

You could try the old trick of leaving it over night with the lever held back to the bar with elastic bands or some such...Release it slowly next day and see if there is a difference.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #17
TimM900

Bike: M900
Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted so maybe is time for an update on my M900. I’ve been busy elsewhere including a V-Strom roadtrip to France & Spain, but have made some good positive progress anyway as since purchasing it, I’ve managed to get a few hundred miles on it and sorted out lots of little niggles- working from front to back…

Replaced front pads as the old Goldfren ones quite literally were falling in half. Fitted Armstrong ones- seem great. Checked rears- ok.

New grips and mirrors from M&P (very nice too and great value, old ones are available foc if anyone wants them).

Bled clutch many times, both ways, replaced pushrod o-rings and knackered release bearing. Much
better now.

Oiled throttle cables, lever pivots etc.

All airbox clips were missing- got a set & fitted them (ebay, luckily)

One front exhaust stud hole thread was stripped, causing the gasket to leak- had this helicoiled, fitted new stud & new exhaust gaskets. Runs much better now, much quieter too.

Changed/flushed engine oil, filter, removed left side cover (was leaking), resealed it & painted it too

Improved the handling immeasurably- tyre pressures were well out, wheel alignment was adjusted a
bit wrong, rear preload was wound up miles

Carefully T-Cut and re-polished all the bodywork, it really needed it.

So just a lot of sorting out done- very little expenditure. Rides pretty nicely now, is a pretty fast bike, mpg is a bit variable but decent 42-55mpg. Stops amazingly.

Also, I visited Mr Gazza for an expert review of the bike- most appreciated. It is a very early M900 indeed, pretty original too. Obtained a ST1(?) centre stand from him, and with some modification have
managed to fit that. I really like having a centre stand on a bike.

Next plans- find a standard or taller seat or, more likely, get this one sorted as it has been cut
down, and I’m tall. Check/clean carbs, not sure if they need it but it is a bit lumpy low down, also is very lively up top and has lots of engine braking- I do wonder if it has been tuned in some way. I’ll also keep an eye out for some stock indicators, as I don’t like the LED ones much, and rear frame/mudguard bit that has been nicely chopped, to give me the replacement option.
TimM900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Expert review.....It was a pleasure to get up close to a nice early one...

I'm glad you managed to get the (ST2) centre stand fitted...Not too much bad language I hope.?

Pleased that you're getting on well with your M900, sounds like she's shaping up nicely.

Let me know if you want your carbs ultra sound cleaning. A mate of mine has his own tank so we could sort something out.

Lumpy down low, lively up top and loads of engine brake sounds like a 900 Monster to me......I get 68+mpg on a run from my injected 900.