UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Which Battery conditioner?

Old 23-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
NJM

Which Battery conditioner?

Hi all
Just received my new termis for my 696, as I've got to install the ecu and air filter I was considering installing a battery conditioner at the same time, has anyone got any recommendations / experience with such devices? I was considering an optimate but have no idea which model! 2011 M696 + non abs.
Thanks in advance
Old 23-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I've had an optimate for years with no particular problems, however, this discussion is current on another website I'm a member of and there a few of them seem to be recommending CTEK chargers.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-3-8...s=ctek+MXS+3.8

I dont keep up with techno trends but I imagine allof the newer models will be funkier than the one I have already but I'm happy with that one so no need for me to change just yet but if your in the market for one this might be worth a look.
Old 23-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Bonzo

Yep, CTEK seem to be the 'in' charger at the moment, but Ive had an Optimate 2 (I think) for years and its been great. In fact I was chuffed when I collected the bike from JHP to learn that it already had the leads connected.
Old 23-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
jimbo696

I have had an optimate and it did the job. I now have an Oxford optimiser, also does the job.
I bought the best price one I could find, all it needs to do is charge/maintain the battery

Cheers.
Old 23-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had my optimate a long time, probably over 10 years and its still going strong, I just updated the plugs to the later type. I think the later ones like the CTEK and Motobatt are better with the more modern AGM batteries, I'm not 100% sure but the CTEK can I think charge Lithium batteries too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
DrD

Halfords sell the Oxford one under their own brand, and as I have a Halfords trade card which gives 25% discount on branded gear, guess what I bought!
Old 23-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I've had a CTEK for 3-4 years now no problems at all, I use my bike all year(ish) it does get laid up over winter when it's too wet/frosty for me.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
Pezz

Bike: M1100s
+1 Oxford optimiser also fitted at the same time I was fitting termi's and Ecu to my 696.

Just noticed your in loggerheads I pass through there quite often en route to those wonderful north wales twisties - might see you out and about next year as mines about to get put into hibernation for the winter
Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Either Optimate or Ctek - both do great jobs - had my first Optimate when they first came out and still going strong.

Tip: worth having a cheapie (£5 Lidl) charger as well as sometimes very "dead" batteries need a "cheapie" boast before Optimates/Cteks can take over the recycling/charging etc.
Old 24-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
NJM

Sure thing Pezz, look forward to it����
Old 24-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
NJM

Thanks all for responses, Going to have a look at the optimate / Ctek units

Tags
battery charging, conditioner, optimate