UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster Newbie from Angus

Old 25-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
brianm

Monster Newbie from Angus

Hi Folks

I am new to the world of Ducati. I bought a 2008 Monster 696+ back in October.
I am struggling with it though. Everyone has said how fantastic they are handling but I find the front end very twitchy and light.
I believe that I may have to adjust the rear suspension to raise the back end.
Has anyone had this problem before and how did you get rid of it?
If I can't get it sorted the bike will have to go as it is killing my confidence.
cheers

Brian
Old 25-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
hello and welcome,

there should be lots of good advice on here

i assume you have you checked obvious things such as tyre pressures and condition. i recently put new boots on after killing the original ones in 2500milse. The difference in handling was massive

how light are you? i found the 796 setup about ritght and im a 16st big lump so you may indeed need to get the suspension looked at
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Twentytoo

Bike: M696
welcome. Sorry to hear to have issues. Firstly, what bike have you come from? I moved from a ZX6 and I would say that in comparison the 696 is more nimble on the front. Whereas the ZX6 need to be pushed and pulled into cornering the 696 will drop into corners very easily. But of course it has wider bars and is a totally different set-up. It also has no steering damper which, if your previous bike had one can make it feel how you describe. I'm not sure I could describe it as light and twitchy. I am 13.5 stone and run Dunlop Sportsmarts. I've messed around with set-up a lot in the past but I just jump on the 696 and go. Track or road and find it a pleasure. My mate rode it who is 16.5 stone, got off and couldn't believe how good it is. So is weight/set up the issue? As Funatronic says what are the tyres like? Also check the correct size tyres are fitted. Also, its still a tad chilly out there and the heat won't be getting into the front tyre. Do the shock and forks appear to be working properly? IE give a give 'bouncing' front and rear and check for leaks. I would avoid messing with e suspension at this stage as you can start tying yourself up in knots if you are not sure what you are doing. Also, 'raising' the rear would quicken the steering by changing the bike geometry and possibly make things worse. Just persevere and remember the words of the wise Jeremy Burgess....KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. (not meant as an insult and I apply this to my whole life!!). Just keep the faith and don't waste money throwing away a bike with a good reputation. Personally I have come to love to the the front end feeling and have never had a bike with so little chicken strip on the front...you can just push and push it and it doesn't complain...

Last edited by Twentytoo; 25-02-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Twentytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
philrl1

Hi brianm

What do you mean when you say the front end's flighty etc? Under what riding circumstances is this happening?

I bought a new 696 at the end of November. I've only put 530 miles on it yet but I may know what may you mean. I did the test ride in very wet road conditions so I didn't push it although the Monster was a fantastic and very confidence inspiring bike.

With my own bike I've noticed when I've gone over bumpy road surfaces, even white lines, under acceleration the handlebars have shaken a little eg when overtaking a slower vehicle . This has happened a couple of times now and I've thought I might need to get a steering damper when I'm really going for it after the run in period. Maybe I just need to get used to it as I've come from a much heavier bike? It's not spoiling the bike at all for me and Other than that I think it's a fantastic bike.

Maybe take the bike to your nearest Ducati dealer and ask them to check the bike over to check everything's mechanically ok and ask their advice?

Last edited by philrl1; 25-02-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Old 25-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
brianm

Hi guys

thanks for all of the replies.
I am about 15 stone and the front end feels worse when I am behind a car/van, not particularly close, but it feels like the front wheel is buckled. It isn't of course.
My previous bike was a 2004 CBR 600F.
I read somewhere that certain bikes suffer from front wheel oscillation which can be sorted by raising the rear end slightly.
The rear tyre has loads of tread and the front is about half worn.
I also get the same feeling on my 1993 Fireblade.
I think I might give Ducati Glasgow a ring and see if they can help.
Brian
Old 25-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I'd look at the tyres first and get advice on what pressures to run too.
I came from sportsbikes to monsters and found the upright riding position an odd one,so that could also be a factor. (I fitted clip ons to my S2R)
DG are pretty good, I use them myself, I'd also look on here
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/forum.php
Plenty of advice from other riders who will be more local to you.
Old 25-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
brianm

I think I might have found the problem.
When I put the front end up on the paddock stand the wheel was not turning freely due to the brakes binding quite badly. I removed both calipers and cleaned and greased up the pistons. Refitted and bled the brakes (easiest brakes I have bled for a long time).
Will take it out for a test run tomorrow.
Fingers crossed
Brian
Old 26-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Sam69

Get yourself a copy of Suspension for mortals by Max McAllister this will teach you the basics of setting your bike up. Well worth the money.
Old 26-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
could try giving the brakes are serious strip and clean and see if that imporves things, a stuck caliper piston or rotor bobbin can caused discs to rub

if that doesnt cure it it my well be the disc is warped, there have been a few of the newer 696/796/1100 monsters that have experienced warped brake discs (multiple times on same bike in one instance)

Did you buy it privately or at a deealer? if so talk to them. If not It mght be worth talking to Ducati direct as discs should not warp on a 2008 bike without after a just handful or years riding. if you make the case reasonably, (have ridden the bike within its limits, not crash damaged etc) you mght find them ameneable to replacing yours free of charge
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
brianm

I stripped the front calipers and they were not great. Greased up the pistons and refitted them.
It has made a big difference. I think if i get a new front tyre it should be completely sorted.