UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Max Mileage.

Old 26-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Gil

Max Mileage.

I Bought my 1995 M 600 this week with 40000 Miles, the bike is stock, and was wondering if anyone else had done that kind of mileage or more and what need to be looked after.

I plan to do all the servicing myself.

Cheers

Gil
Old 26-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Wow, that's just run-in. I expect to pass 40K next month on a 2003 bike.
12K miles or 2 years cam-belt change, shims at about half that, regular oil and oil/fuel filter changes.
The little yellow ignition relay under the set is known to give problems, as do the igniters (eitehr side of the coils, under the tank. Piston slap on the front cylinder is quite common on high mileage examples.

lots of good info here
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
the_adam

A well-used bike isn't necessarily bad as long as it's been looked after, I've got a mate that had a bike about as old as me - he sold it in spring with a ridiculous mileage on the clock and it was still going fine.

If you don't know when the belts were last changed I'd definitely make that a priority, also the wiring loom tends to be quite fragile where it goes around the steering head, a bit of extra protection there can't go amiss - a few wires broke on mine after less than 20000 miles although I may have just been unlucky, have heard of it happening to others though. Easily protected with a few layers of self-amalgamating tape
Old 26-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
There is a 900 in the US that's done about 140,000+ miles now so they will do it if looked after
Old 26-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Gil

Thanks everyone,

So basically nothing more to worry about. I'll collect the bike tomorrow and can't wait.
I'll check the ignition relay and wiring loom. I planned to change the timing belt anyway, which seems to be an ok job to do.
The bike was used mainly to commute, has new front disc, tyres, fork seals, recent sprockets... I need to change head light lense, gear lever and side stand...I'll post some pictures tomorrow and on the work in progress.

Cheers

Gil

Dublin Ireland
Old 26-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
PDS

I have had quite a few bikes in my time and to be fair, the really low mileage ones (considering when they were made) i have had, if i am honest have been the real oil burners, sometimes a bike having some miles is not a bad thing, IMO
Old 27-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
Hi Gil welcome to the club!!!!
sounds like you have the right idea about monster ownership.... be prepared to so some work but enjoy every minute your on it!!
Im ricky the northern ireland rep but currently living outside Kells Co Meath!!!
my mob no 0876142836 give me a shout if u fancy meetin up!!
Oh and ive got quite alot of orignal and spare parts knockin about so u never know, i might actually be useful!!! lol

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Gil

Hi Ricky,

Well Have a few bits and pieces to fix, and a major servicing once that done, i'll definetly head North for a ride.

Cheers