UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello all from Herts! Advice please!!

Old 29-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Jungle24

Thanks Funk! most helpful.

Some questions on the cans pls -

Does removing the CAT pose problems at MOT time?

Do you get hp increase from removing CAT or is that only obtained by remapping the ecu? Will just fitting slip ons improve hp and performance?

Is it possible to buy the sils and fit link pipe to remove cat at a later date once funds are available?

Brakes -

I think the brakes are ok at present but JP says may be a good idea to upgrade. I am 12 stone. I have not had the benefit of trying larger discs etc but aim to keep this bike for a long time. Would you say in your exp that this is an essential upgrade at some point as I do hear the s2r is not famed for its front end.

Cheers again all for your continued advice and thoughts!!

Last edited by Jungle24; 30-04-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
hi Jim

sorry for slow response
Does removing the CAT pose problems at MOT time?

never has for me but then my mechanic seems to be able to get my noisy cans through too

Do you get hp increase from removing CAT or is that only obtained by remapping the ecu? Will just fitting slip ons improve hp and performance?

not sure to be honest, others may know better but i reckon that some fuelling adjustment would be advisable if you install race cans. you dont want the bike running lean as this can cause engine damage in the long run.

i gained 4 HP with the stock cans and a decat pipe when my bike was dyno'd with the powercommenader. but there may be enough adjustment available with the stock ECU to improve things abit
the full race system got me an extra 6.5HP! but its too loud for many tracks :-(

Is it possible to buy the sils and fit link pipe to remove cat at a later date once funds are available?

yes this should work with slip ons

Brakes -

I think the brakes are ok at present but JP says may be a good idea to upgrade. I am 12 stone. I have not had the benefit of trying larger discs etc but aim to keep this bike for a long time. Would you say in your exp that this is an essential upgrade at some point as I do hear the s2r is not famed for its front end.

if you find the the stock brakes good enough then you have your answer. Im alot bigger than you and the stock brakes still stopped me.
Now i can lock the front wheel shockingly easily which isnt necessarily such a good thing on the road.
If your planning to track the bike at all, i think the brake upgrade is well worth the effort imho, this is the best upgrade i did after cans

hope this help
ali
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Jungle24

Hi Ali,
Many thanks for you input again.
I have taken the plunge and gone for the hi level carbon sils and have bought a CAT eliminator too.
Hopefully I should be fitting them this weekend. Joe seemed to think should be no probs with mapping so will see how I go.
As for brakes i am going to leave them for now as literally skint now lol!!
I will put some pics up after!
Cheers again!
Jim
Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
shifter

Hi Jim,
I just bought my first Monster and am loveing it!
Also I'm just down the road in Hemel so if you fancy a blast down to the Ace!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Jungle24

Hi Shifter,
Cool! Nothing like getting on your first Monster!
I will message you when I am around for a blatt down to the ACE!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #21
Mr.Number

Ali, did you have some trouble with the fueling having fitting the arrow system ( race system ? ).

In the process of buying the carbon full race system, but it appears that the dp ecu is a must for the bike to run properly.

Mines an 08 S2R 1000.

Cheers Kev
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Hi Kev

My Bike is from 2006 and has no lambda sensor therfore I had no fuelling issues when changing cans

from what i have read, as yours is 2008 the DP ECU is your only option if you want any other type of exhaust which adds a alot of wonga :-(
also I think the ECU is only available as a kit with the DP Termi exhausts which is not made for your bike anymore, picking one up 2nd hand might be a problem as i think the ECU needs to be coded to the bike when its installed but i could be wrong here

sorry to be the bearer(or confirmer) of bad news
ali
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I don't think the DP ECUs are coded...
but that does mean you lose you immobiliser.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
shifter

You could also try Dave Woods Racing in Aylesbury

Please ignore, landed in the wrong thread somehow.

Last edited by shifter; 09-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: as above
Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
Jungle24

no probs mate thanks for the referral
Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #26
shifter

Saw a rather mint looking Black Monster leaving the J20 roundabout and into the village the other day, wouldn't be you by any chance?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
JerryT

Hey there...

Hi there & welcome from another noob to the forum...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #28
Jungle24

It could well have been me - Mine is Black with orange strip and has hi level Sil moto cans with tail chop.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #29
shifter

Sounds like the one!
Old 13-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #30
Gina

Howdy Jungle 24, welcome aboard. Based in Hitchin so if you fancy a spin some time to Ace, or Cambridge area, feel free to message.

Best