UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » spraying tips

Old 14-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
revver

spraying tips

does anybody out there now about spraying and i dont mean fake tans! i am renovating an old bike (sssshhhhh its a triumph). but im not sure as to what type of primers i need for alloy and do you need to primer on top of powder coating. the duc will be next. thanks.
Old 14-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
On ally an etch primer so it sticks.
On powder a plastic primer.
Old 14-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
He11cat

Good luck I am priming bits at the mo...

I have been over perfectionist with mine... got told off tonight!!!!...
Just take your time.. and best of luck.
Nowt wrong with trumpets!!
Old 17-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
revver

cheers just got some bits powder coated by local company and they are s..t. the finish is rough and they are the wrong colour also not covered all over. plus the numpty powder coated the inside of the gearbox casings needless to say he only got paid for sandblasting the parts. so the dilema is i have powder coated parts flatted down with bits of ally showing through what primer do i use on that? i am as bad as you he11cat it has got to be right. cheers for all the advice.
Old 17-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Panther

I heard if you can PI$$ you can paint.
Old 17-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
dunlop0_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I heard if you can PI$$ you can paint.
W4nker! You have no Idea.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1 View Post
W4nker! You have no Idea.
that does not help either

------------------------------------------

I would get the powder coaters to re do it. Get them to sandblast the lot. Then mask off your self the parts you don't want to get painted.

If the parts are still rough after sand blasting, your paint will still be rough, you might want them to do that again Or sand it down your self

When I had my rear sprocket cover powder coated, I hold them to re-do it because they scratched it afterwards.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
He11cat

Painting is no easy thing to do well... I am NO expert at all.

I am just playing with bits , I am to finicky it would take me about 5 years to get a whole bike done!
I got told to leave my primer alone this week as I kept finding little bits I wasn't happy with.

I had to reject a whole paint job on my ex husbands bike as I have said before it was a dog..
It has to be right.. paint makes the bike or car!!
Old 18-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Panther

~off topic~ what about a cromo monster???
Old 18-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
He11cat

what you want to know ?????..

They are shiny... they are very nice in my eyes .. but you mangle your tank its not a fill and spray jobby!!!.. is new tank or get one chromed.. so yes... that you have to bare in mind ... sticking a chrome tank on any old monster doesn't make it a "Chromo" .. as they have a few little special items..
Often they are owned by special people...

They are also marmitey things .. lots of thats nice with as many oh gosh that orrible...

Last edited by He11cat; 18-07-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Old 18-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
revver

well you heard wrong panther i used to spray furniture a long time ago and its not as easy as it looks !!!. the thing im not sure of is the primers for different materials.