UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » S2R Decat power loss

Old 31-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Bigxr

S2R Decat power loss

Hi, I'm on the verge of parting with some of my hard earned loot on a marving decat pipe. I've heard that you lose some bottom end with them, can anyone shed some light on this? is it something you can feel, or is it just a statistic?
Thanks in advance.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
I've heard of leak problems with this pipe
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Jim66a

I've got dyno run printouts for with and without the cat. You do lose a few ft/lbs torque at low revs, all you gain from the de cat pipe is more a few ft/lbs torqe in the mid range, more noise and losing the weight of the cat itself. I didn't notice any difference apart from the extra Dbs.
My bike actually made half a horse more power with the cat still in place!

Hope that helps
Old 31-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
jimbo696

My Marving was fitted last week to my S2R.... The only slight leak is from the front header pipe, some silicone sealant should sort this... I had to reuse the old 'brillo pad' gaskets, i would recommend using new ones...
I haven't noticed any power changes, increase or decrease, just a much better noise... I have carbon Termis and it now sounds great.....

The Marving fitted perfectly....when I got the mechanic to fit it for me!!
Old 31-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Gilps

I can't give you a definitive answer as I fitted the decat, open race cans, open airbox and hi-flo filter al at the same time, and then fitted a PC3 and had it set up on the dyno. My mid range was much smoother.

Overall I gained very little on paper but it felt well worth it.
My figures are in this thread, post #4
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...highlight=dyno
I had the PC3 mapped again recently and got 77bhp and 58 ft/lbs torque.
Old 31-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Bigxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim66a View Post
I've got dyno run printouts for with and without the cat. You do lose a few ft/lbs torque at low revs, all you gain from the de cat pipe is more a few ft/lbs torqe in the mid range, more noise and losing the weight of the cat itself. I didn't notice any difference apart from the extra Dbs.
My bike actually made half a horse more power with the cat still in place!

Hope that helps
Is it possible for you to post the readouts? also, were you still using the standard silencers?

I'd love a set of high level carbon termi's, but unfortunately I value my nuts and I'd probly loose 'em if I spent that much!
Old 31-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Duke Konan

I have a decat pipe fitted to my S2R (Quat d not Marving) with standard cans and I definitely felt like I lost some torque at lower RPMs. Ray at Rosso Corse said it had something to do with the back pressure the cat generates, i.e. no cat = no back pressure = less torque. A PCIII set up correctly may have helped to some extent but I bought a pair of high level termis instead and I've regained some of the lost power. Power delivery isn't as smooth as stock but it sounds so much better
Old 31-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Bigxr

Hmmm thanks for the feedback, I've got a choice, for the same cash I can get a 2nd hand pair of std silencers and have them cored. But would that be better than a decat ? I guess I'd have to keep the carbunkle then tho...
Old 31-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Open or cored pipes + cat won't increase noise a lot

The cat acts a silencer and you won't get the full effect until it's bypassed
Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Bigxr

Has anyone ever tried to gut the cat?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
jimbo696

Gary's comments are spot on.. I bought Termis fro my Multistrada, and left the cat, it didn't sound any better.....
The Termis on my S2R didn't sound very good, but with the cat gone they sound great.....

Never heard of anyone trying to take the innards out of the cat....and you would still have the ugly cat box there....not worth the time and effort when the Marving is 195 pounds....
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If it's performance and smooth running you want and you're on a budget, your first purchase should be a Power Commander imo - get the fuelling right to go with what you've got (even straight out the factory and bog standard the fuelling can be improved quite a bit).
Get the PC remapped each time you make a further mod (decat etc) to make the best of the system.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Bigxr

Yes, I agree, a PC3 is on the christmas list, but a more lusty roar without actually losing anything is the name of the game at the moment.. I tried just taking off the silencers/link pipes and the cat does seem to do a little silencing, but its still a bit too anti-social to run it open!
(And I think VW tail pipes run straight off the carbunkle would make it all look a bit too scrapheap challenge for me!)

Does anyone have an opinion on the amount of lost bottom end power felt with the decat pipe? Noticeable? barely noticeable?, very noticeable? I can't imagine there being much difference between makes, after all its just a bit of pipe bypassing the cat made by different people aint it?

Tags
decat, exhaust, pipe, power, silencer