UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Nanny State!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Lucati

Nanny State!

Hi all,

Just been sent a link to this petition, I can't imagine it will actually do any good but hey, worth a try!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/100bhplimits/

Cheers

Luke
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
moony

Last edited by moony; 16-11-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Quote petition "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Not allow the draconian proposals to apply power restictions on motorcycles go through.France is the perfect case study, it does not work, training and attitude is what matters".

Not too sure where they're getting their info from regarding France? As most of the bikes here that can, have more than 100BHP irrespective of the actual legal limit of 106CV. Living near Le Mans (France's reputed capital for bikes) the amount of bikes and bike owners per head of the capita is enormous and therefore the risk of a bike related accident is also much higher.

The fact that there are still fatalities in France is very true and the fact that virtually every bike fatality accident also involves a non bike vehicle is also true. Education of the other road users is as important as the education and training of the bike riders.

France is also currently petitioning to have the 106CV limit removed on the argument that it does indeed make no difference and the restriction of one form of transport and not another is unjust (i.e. there is no BHP/CV limit on car drivers). The 34CV limit for new riders or under 21s works as it limits the accidents of inexperienced riders.

Personally I like having the option of "brake or go" and often it's the later that's avoided the crunch. Both my road bikes are UK registered and have more than 100BHP despite the fact that they live with me over here - something which regularly annoys the local plod

I've signed
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Lucati

Well lets hope it does some good. I've signed and I hope some of the other 3000+ members of UKMoc do too!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Paivi

Have I missed the reports where they say that this is being considered?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Lucati

On further investigation it appears the petition may be a big pile of boll#*cks!

The Gecko is a wise creature indeed.!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
MON

Personally I'm more concered about the serious consideration being given to a national 50mph speed limit...
Old 19-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Response to the petition is in >>>>

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page21007

And looks like the UK is not going down the max 100BHP route - for the time being at least
Old 19-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
J_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
Personally I'm more concered about the serious consideration being given to a national 50mph speed limit...
They say they are not introducing a new lower national speed limit, but it does seem a bit open to highway authorities doing what they want. I can't help get the feeling the government have side stepped on the answer here. Will highways authorities drop the limit just so they don't get sued /fined for not reacting to revised gov guidelines when someone gets killed / seriously injured on any stretch of road? We'll just have to wait till the end of the year to find out the results of the "consultation".

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20803
Old 19-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Do they want to introduce a 50mph speed limit nationally so they won't get sued for quite as much when a motocyclist comes off due to a large pot-hole in the road - the roads in my area are awful!