UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » True or False

Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
rac3r

True or False

Hi it's me again! Still looking for my first big bike

I joined another duke forum the other day (ducatisti) to ask about buying a 750SS. Among all the advice when I said I was from London and would be riding all year round they said that Ducati's don't like traffic and recommended against it also that they don't like restriction

Is this true? Hope not because I had my heart set on an SS or Monster
Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Scotty

im sure it al be reet , though id stay away from a carbed bike if using all year
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
rac3r

Well i've got about £2-2.5k to spend. Would one of them be better or are they both pretty much the same
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

I wouldnt worry about riding a Ducati all year round, as for riding round town, again its just a matter of getting used to it.

As Scotty said some carbed bikes (Not just Ducatis) can suffer from carb icing, this can be solved easily using additive!.

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Scootaboy

I do 34 miles a day commuting in london on my 695, I find it fine and have had no problems since I got it last august - and I ride rain, wind or shine
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Arbeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
im sure it al be reet , though id stay away from a carbed bike if using all year
He`s alive!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
As one of those who replied on the other site I'd just like to qualify that ducatis per se aren't hard to ride in heavy traffic, just that the SS has a heavy clutch pull and can also be grabby when it gets hot(while filtering in traffic for instance) it also has a very limited steering lock,even more so than my 916 I seem to remember, a monster would be easier in regular heavy traffic (like you get in London)and even better if you can find one with the aptc clutch.
heres one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTER...A1%7C294%3A100
its a dealer,find out their number and call them to find out how much they actually want for it.
hers another
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-DUCATI-Mo...A1%7C294%3A100

I also mentioned that most Ducatis I've had have benefitted from swapping out the oe front sprocket with 15 teeth for a 14 tooth replacement,this immediately makes them easier to handle at low speeds.
I wouldn't worry too much about the corrosion comment,all bikes are pretty much the same in this respect, regular coating with one of the corrosion inhibitors should help.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
rac3r

Thanks Dave G!

I saw those on ebay but I think they may be a little out of my price range.
Old 13-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Scootaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
As one of those who replied on the other site I'd just like to qualify that ducatis per se aren't hard to ride in heavy traffic, just that the SS has a heavy clutch pull and can also be grabby when it gets hot(while filtering in traffic for instance) it also has a very limited steering lock,even more so than my 916 I seem to remember, a monster would be easier in regular heavy traffic (like you get in London)and even better if you can find one with the aptc clutch.
heres one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTER...A1%7C294%3A100
its a dealer,find out their number and call them to find out how much they actually want for it.
hers another
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-DUCATI-Mo...A1%7C294%3A100

I also mentioned that most Ducatis I've had have benefitted from swapping out the oe front sprocket with 15 teeth for a 14 tooth replacement,this immediately makes them easier to handle at low speeds.
I wouldn't worry too much about the corrosion comment,all bikes are pretty much the same in this respect, regular coating with one of the corrosion inhibitors should help.
wow those bikes are fairly cheap for the mileage
Old 13-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootaboy View Post
wow those bikes are fairly cheap for the mileage
Especially the first one, the black & red one. I'd snap that one up in a heartbeat, the 695 is a fabulous city bike. Not as good as my Vespa, obviously, though...
Old 14-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
craigie
Only bronze?

Bike: M900
I ride a carbie 750ss all year round for my commute to work from east London to west and I get on ok, it's not the most reliable but it had no service history and 11 owners before me so can't really blame it, steering lock is bad but just plan ahead more, not many pass me on the way so it's not that bad. Buy as modern as you can afford I suppose but I had as much trouble in the rain with a 02 M620ie as I have with this 94 750SS, both seem to like idling at 3/4000rpm in the rain, always a nice surprise.
Whatever you get you will learn to ride around its flaws, just go for it and if you hate it get something else.
craigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
rac3r

^^ Thanks for the reply, definitely a boost in confidence. I just need to go and see one of each in the flesh and decide.

Oh and get the CBR shifted
Old 14-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
"Buy as modern as you can"

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - my M600 is a 1995 bike and had only done about 16K when I got it (paid about £1200). Lovely little bike - but had obviously been well looked after - check the service history and quiz the owner before you buy. If they've only had it for a few weeks/couple of months, they may well have just bought it cheap and are hoping to sell on for a profit. Ask how long they've owned it, how many owners, service history etc - loads of questions - you'll get an idea of who's genuine and who's not! And a dealer will obviously be trying to make as much profit as possible so pick out all the faults - and be tough - you're younger than my older son (now I feel extra old!).

Last edited by Liz; 14-06-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
rac3r

Thanks everyone!

When should the belts be done on a Monster?