UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Another new owner...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
Are you saying that you're bashing your nadgers against the tank while braking? If that is happening regularly, you need to ease off on the heavy braking my friend. Smooth and fast is what you want. Smooth and fast.
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Scotty

grip with your knees more
Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
brent elliott

Thanks for the advice - the throttle's a bit more effective than I'm used to as well!!

Only done 600 miles on a big bike, ok smooooooooth it is.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #19
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent elliott View Post
btw - does anyone know if there any decent aftermarket saddles for this bike yet, the brakes are a bit more effective than I'm used to and I would like to have children one day!!
Rosso Corse have some cool seats up for sale at the moment. Should fit 696 - good place to visit anyway for work stuff. www.rossocorse.co.uk

BTW, welcome to the club. I've organised a ride out in the country on Saturday, if you fancy it...... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ghlight=bimble

Whice part of London are you in?

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
brent elliott

Smile

Thanks - I'll check it out.

I'm in Battersea, definitely up for some rides but probably need to get a few miles under my belt first - I'm probably a bit slow for you lot!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #21
Headhunter
THFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent elliott View Post
Thanks - I'll check it out.

I'm in Battersea, definitely up for some rides but probably need to get a few miles under my belt first - I'm probably a bit slow for you lot!
Not an issue at all, fella. If you're new to bikes then that's what the pace sticks to and no one cares - one of the good things about this club. If the rare few want to race off they always stop at the next junction or turn, or they just join other rideouts.

Either way you're more than welcome to come along and meet some of the other London Ducastisti even if it's just to meet at the petrol station.

Hope to catch you Saturday, if you can make it. If not there's a meeting down at Box Hill at 10.30/11sh.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
jw0719

I'm legal! Now I just need to sort out insurance, collecting the bike on Friday. Can't wait, I feel like a child waiting for a birthday/xmas!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #23
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
well done mate! Welcome to the club. I did exactly what you did - bought the bike, then did the test All went well.

Enjoy.
Old 22-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
jw0719

How do you guys keep your bikes in tip top condition, want to really look after it well but not really sure how other than regular washes?

Any tips would be gratefully received....
Old 22-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #25
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Regular washing is good but not with washing up liquid. Get some 'Muck Off' or the like. Also some regular chain lube or oil, with the occasional degreaser to stop it getting too messy.
But the most important one everyone will tell you is to get some metal protector like the Scottoilier F365 which will help to neutralize anything that the metal bits might be exposed to like acid rain and road salt.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
Headhunter
THFC

Don't ride it but that would be plain stupid. My thoughts are:

Clean every week - If anything to check bike over for any potential problems.
Change oil/filter every 3k
Use autoglym or other highly recommended products
Spray bike with ACF-50 to prevent corrosion and keep water at bay for electrics
Oil chain every 300-500 miles.

And most importantly.....ride it as often as you can. Dukes like regular use + servicing.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Headhunter; 22-08-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Erosion????
Old 22-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
jw0719

Thanks guys, appreciated - will order a few of those products now.
Old 28-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #28
red_or_dead666

Have about a grand to spend, ho ho. Think I'm probably looking at an s reg 1998??? 600M have been haunting EBAY.

It will be mine.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #29
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0719 View Post
Aah - R&G's - I see.

Just how effective are they? What damage would I expect if I dropped my bike at say 0mph?

Never one to turn down some good advice - where do I buy a pair? Are they easy to fit to a 696?
Welcome to UKMOC

Any good bungs like R&G's are a sound investment

Stuart's (Ex Spareshack's) S4 went down the road at about 40mph. It slid a long way before it stopped and he expected it to be trashed, but the damage was minimal. Just a broken lever, rear set peg & bar end, with the crash bung worn down over half way.

I think they were Cycle cat bungs (about £120) but they save the bike being written off. Even the tank was undamaged, amd that costs the best part of a grand to replace on it's own!!! Unfortunately the S4 (and Stuart) didn't get off so lightly when it high-sided at a Donington track day
Old 29-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
gremlin

Just don't do more than you're comfortable with to start with. I've been lucky having a very understanding other half who's been prepared to go a lot slower while I feel my feet so to speak. It's better to gain experience slowly and not have to use crash bungs because you've gone down the road on your butt! I've been lucky only dropping mine at a standstill which has meant new levers and I've got a ratty Ducati so I won't cry too much if I do bin her. Have fun and welcome to a very friendly club!