UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Triumph owner tempted by a monster

Old 24-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
Thanks for the advice guys , first thing's first I think is a test ride. Hope to give a monster a try this week.
Go for it!

Quote:
Never used a dry clutch either which I think the S4 has?
Correct - as do all models from 900 upwards

Quote:
I'm hoping to ride both an air-cooled model and a liquid cooled model before I make any sort of decision.
Sensible chap

Quote:
Maybe the S4 might be the one for me as I'm used to a bike with plenty of mid-range grunt. Quite like the sound of the air-cooled bikes as well though.
The bigger ones ALL have a good mid range grunt on them - the S4 is more 'raw' in its pick up

Quote:
One thing I'm finding though is there seems to be loads of variations of Monster to suit just about everyone - bit confusing though, this site is a great help!
The more you read..... the more you need to read

Quote:
Seems to be a bit of friendly rivalry between the air-cooled and the water-cooled brigade!
Definately
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
kevm

Smile

You certainly won't be disappointed. I have owned many big jap 4's and now have a M900ie and would never swap back. In 'the real world,' it is quicker than the fours, because of the way the engine produces power and it is far better on the bends!! 30 years on bikes and I would never get rid of my 'Monster.' Kev.
Old 25-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have an S4 its is a real love hate relationship .... When its good its the best thing ever ....but when its bad i want to kill it.I also have a M750 which is perfect fun .
Old 25-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Mines does a bit over a 1000 a month with no problems, we've waded through motor submerging flood water without missing a beat, skated over snow covered roads and oddly enjoyed it all.
Reliable?? Had no problems myself
I'd like an S4, I tried a friends that's been 'mildly' tuned, I pointed twisted and OMGKINELLSHEET, loved it LOL I was chasing one before I got the IE, but my mileage put me off a bit.
These monsters are addictive bikes, once you get your head around them you find they're far better than you thought.. beware of first impressions !
Old 25-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
AlexG

What are the bad points with an S4 Jerry, what makes you want to kill it?

I do quite a lot of miles with commuting and going out for blasts and weekends away and don't have my bike just as a toy.

I notice Nickj you said you were put off an S4 by 'your mileage' do you think an IE is more suitable for what I want.

Was going to arrange a test ride on an S2R today but Ducati Leeds had sold it!! It was a bit pricey anyway but would have at least given me a first impression of what a monster's like to ride.
Old 25-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #21
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The maintenance schedule on an S4 would have been a bit more intense than on the IE. Plus I have a bad habit of using what I have and the S4 has a 996 motor, so you're talking 110+ bhp at the back wheel. The bigger air box on the monnie and shorter induction tract = more mid range grunt. It'll do insane speeds for a naked bike, 130 in 5th and still pulling hard snick into top and oops didn't mean to be going quite that fast. If you use the throttle you'll have minimal front tyre wear but shred the rear quite quickly.
Gloriously insane
Old 25-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #22
AlexG

Sounds mental...

Which is what I want but not all of the time, oh well throttle goes both ways I suppose!