UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New wanabe on the block

Old 16-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Gimley

New wanabe on the block

Firstly...hello everyone..nice forum and have learnt a fair bit already from just reading previous posts.

I am looking to change my current bike, SV650, 2000 model, and am a bit undecided which way to go.

I am new to biking and passed my test last year and would class myself as a plodder. I just love getting out riding around enjoying the scenery, epsecially now summer is here .

I am looking to up the engine size to around 750 to 800 and would love to own a Duc however, my funds arent great, whatever I can get for my SV plus a bit extra from my savings. What model would you recommend and what sort of costs would I be looking at?

I am, to be politically correct, vertically challenged, or un politically correct (which is the way I like it) a short arse hence my preference for a more upright position like the Monster. Also, at 40 I dont think my Back would appreciate a more sportier, lie down on your tank, type of bike.

Also, I dont have a garage and would like to build or buy a little secure store for my bike to keep it nice and dry. If anyone has any recommendations on this as well it would be greatly appreciated. Again, this would have limited funds available and wouldnt want to be spending over £4-500.

Third and last, anyone know any good bike dealers who have a good stock of Ducati Monsters in the Surrey area. I live in Epsom and travel the whole of the South East on business so can extend the area to Sussex and Kent as well.

Thanks all
Gary
Old 16-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A 900 should suit you perfectly then, either carb or injected, from about £2K for one in reasonable nick.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Gimley

Thanks Zimbo
Had a look on the web for some 900's but not many around in the price bracket i am looking at. The newer ones, 2004 on, look great but out of my range at the moment. Also, there dont seem to be many around up for sale that I could find. Any ideas where a good place to look would be?

Thanks for the PM Dave. I looked at the Bike safe last year but ruled it out as its a bit, erm, shiny . Dont think the wife would like that sitting in the back garden.
Maybe for the summer I will just get one of those clamshell fold over covers and a ground anchor.

Thanks
Gary
Old 17-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
adds666

Hey Gary, Welcome,

Albie has a shed/garage for sale (well for FREE) so that would sort the secure bit. only thing is its quite big i think. n e way heres the link.

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showt...highlight=free

As for Ducati Dealers. There's P & H in crawley, Manor Royal estate near Gatwick. Good people to talk to etc just really f**king expensive so go there sort wat u want then go elsewhere. lol.

other than that. happy monster hunting and hopefully see u at Boxhill on the new beasty.

gl in finding one. lol

Adam,
Old 17-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Gimley

Thanks Adam, Nice shed but no room to put one..got one exactly the same but its at the bottom of the Garden and would be a bit difficult to use it unless im putting the bike up for the Winter.

Think I will go down the route of the Clamshell type pull over cover for the summer months and just put in a ground anchor or 2..

As for P&H. Forgot about them..my work takes me near there some days so will pop in next week at some stage although they only seem to have new ones in stock..Oh well, will have to sit on them and dream a bit..

Thanks
Gary
Old 17-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
is it an S?

I have a workmate currently looking for an unfaired SV650 if that's any help.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
eonan

Hi mate...welcome aboard
Old 17-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Gimley

Its a Y.

Hi Rob

My bike is a Y model. Totally naked. Bought it from Dobles in Caulsdon in October last year.
Only done about 4.5k miles and is Blue.

Dont know much about bikes but looks in pretty much its original condition although Im not sure about the can. Does sound very nice though.

Couple of small marks on it and a bit of rubber from my boot on the exhaust but other than that it looks pretty good. If he's interested I can take a couple of photo's and send to him.

PM Me if he is as I dont want to take up this thread with a sale and get told off on my first couple of days here

Cheers
Gary
Old 17-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I know someone looking for an SV650 naked too - I will let her know about it.
Anne
Old 17-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
By the Way - welcome to

If you have £5000 I know the ideal Monster for you.