UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Veloce - it's gone.

Old 22-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
Will

St.Neots motorcycles have been around for years, they have survived where others have failed by refusing to be solely Ducati dealers. Ducati simply do not sell enough bikes for a dealer to survive by seliing them alone.

I took a look at the new 1098 a couple of weeks ago and it is a very nice bike; I hope they sell well for Ducati's sake, but if I was a dealer I wouldn't hold my breath. Time will tell once the usual 'new bike hype' from the press has returned to normal.
Old 22-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
gremlin

Other half had his first service on new bike the day after he bought it so I guess doing first rideout to service centre would be cool. The trouble is we'll have to take passports wherever we go now! The suffolk guys say they're friendly but what about the Essex guys and Lincolnshire ones are they safe? It's not the same as poodling 2 miles down the road, I mean it's picnic or rest stops and everything now.
Old 22-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Isn't it? I may have to buy panniers now.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
Will

If anyone is going to St.Neots then drop me a line - we could meet up (somewhere on the A14?) and I will guide you there along the best back roads. :-)
Old 22-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #20
gremlin

It won't take that long to get there will it, are you suggesting camping gear too Nonnie? Are there any Travel lodges. Do we need survival gear? Hip flask maybe, filled with non alcoholic booze of course!
Old 24-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #21
Gee

Veloce and its owner..s?

Before I start this rant, as that is what it is likely to turn into, I wish no one on this forum to take a personal exception to the following. The point is the facts are the facts and they seem to be lacking from the Veloce topic.

I have read the many comments regarding the very sad closure of Veloce Motorcycles and feel I must put a few things straight.
Robin Sword was not THE owner, perhaps portrayed as such by himself, rather one of a group of owners.
All of these people put a lot on the line to get the dealership up and running.
However what was put on the line and later lost due to the failure of this dealship was far greater for some than for others.
I do whole heartedly believe that a passion was shown for the Marque and to provide a top class aftersales and service centre. I also beleive this was not shown by all of the companies financial backers, (owners) and this is what, in turn, resulted in the dealers failings.
A blinkered approach and an absence of ability to mould to its own requirements left Norwich without a Ducati dealer. Had the majority in that place had the passion of the minority I am sure Veloce would still be running now.
I do not think from any standpoint that the "give it a go" approach from one of the owners was any more than that, a hobby if you like.
What was never taken into account, not even to the day the doors closed was what some people had put at stake to get the place up and running and exactly how much those people stood to loose if it failed.
To the boys at the shop, praise where praise is DUE, your expertease will be missed. However, for the rest of you a firm kick in the bo###cks, you know who you are. I hope you try harder with your next venture.
Old 24-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #22
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Gee, getting our money back was a huge relief and to be honest, not something I really expected. I don't mean for anyone at Veloce to take that personally, I just mean that generally when a company goes belly up and it owes you money, they don't often come back and give it to you a couple of days later so that's one huge thing for us to be thankful for. And I am or we'd be in serious financial trouble too.
I can't say any more than that because I wouldn't know what I was talking about.

Old 25-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #23
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Gee I agree with some of your sentiments but at least those in a position to make such a decision had the good grace and sense to wind the business up before the bank foreclosed on them, when it was clear that the dealership was no longer financially viable, thereby bowing out as opposed to falling from grace. There is a fundamental difference between the two, though the net result is the same. Irrespective of WHO invested what and how much into Veloce, it's absence will be felt and moreover the people involved missed. I hope a resurgence in the area (as has been suggested) is soon forthcoming. I don't much care for the politics of the business as I know these to be complex and involved several parties but I think management or the lack of (as you seem suggest) of the dealership was but a small part in it's demise from what I have been told (from the horses mouth). I am not going to discuss that on a public forum however and will leave the matter there. Ultimately what counts is we are without a local dealer and staff are without a job. With luck the two issues will resolve themselves soon.

Last edited by emily's driver; 25-01-2007 at 09:31 PM..
emily's driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #24
johnnystorm

Just found out about this from the guy repairing my Monster after I was knocked off. Explains why my parts never arrived.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #25
banditloon

It always sadens me to see a bike shop close down. There aren't many around that provide a good service, and it's (IMO) the good ones that disappear

Good to see you got your cash for the sale, and well done to the lads at Veloce for keeping the cash safe for yourself and the other customers.

And good luck with their new plans

Ride safe and enjoy all
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #26
gremlin

Heard a snippet from the Ducati stand at Excel. Apparently a dealer is being approached in the Norfolk area to pick up the Ducati torch but no other details were forthcoming. Lets hope they weren't kidding, maybe the Veloce guys will get new jobs out of it. Keep fingers crossed.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #27
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Meanwhile my bike goes to a Honda dealer for an MOT!!!

Yikes...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #28
gremlin

you could try cunninghams in hempnal for MOT's....they are very friendly